knive fighting

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by krys, Jul 31, 2003.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

shoot! would really want to post pics but i don't have time. icepick is when you have your thumb on the pommel and the point facing the ground. the blade is facing outward towards the opponent.

a standard grip is where your thumb is on the guard. point facing the opponent.

the variations of the standard are that the edge faces the ground or the edge faces upward. really. simple that way.

2. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

Can somone here refer me to a good knfie fighting site?

3. Jacques_Strappe

Jacques_Strappe New Member

I study Kadina de mano as part of the Inayan system of Escrima(www.inayan.com). We do partner drills that develop timing and touch sensitivity. Like: parry-parry-check, backfist, sweep, elbow,press, backfist.

4. shootodog

kadena de mano (chains of hands) of max sarmiento? actually kadena de mano is a form of panununtukan (filipino boxing). really effective hand system. some people call it pinoy dirty boxing.

i didn't know it had knife techniques though. anybody from stockton, c.a. here that can verify this?

5. Jacques_Strappe

Jacques_Strappe New Member

If you go to the link I provided above (www.inayan.com) you can click on 'Inayan System of Escrima' and they have all the info you need.

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

krys , were you asking about knife combat as in both opponents have knives or knife defense where you are attacked by someone with a knife?

7. shootodog

yeah i did. nice to know that the beloved art is doing well there.

the knife techniques (i'm guessing) are more a part of the escrima than the kadena de mano. brother teacher re-affirmed this during our session. "ang kadena'y mano mano" he said in halting taggalog.

mabuhay ang sining ng mandirigmang pilipino

8. krys

krys Valued Member

I was actually asking for knive to knive....
    We also have a silat subsystem that teaches us how to attack unarmed opponents with knives, ie haw to draw him in the right distance, feints-change of hands against empty hand defenses....

It really makes you feel the heat if you are the unarmed player...

One of our methods to train disarms is to have the defender go twice as slow as te attacker, this is really good because it teaches you how to fight against a faster opponent...

We don't practice much drills, more fighting at different speeds...Actually we fight at a slow pace at the begining, triying to play with the techniques our GM taught us in order to see what works for us....Then we increase the speed...hidden weapons are added and the attacker of course uses also his empty hands to strike, take down...
    The session ends with full speed fights...

In the Philippines we practice cutting on banana trees and abroad on tires....

Actually I carry a weapon whenever I can, going empty handed against a knive is like triying to catch a poisonous snake barehanded..... chances of succes are very low if the opponent has a little skill....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  9. Tyrkon Lawson

Tyrkon Lawson New Member

Torke Blaise Loong has two excellent DVDs just out on a filipino short knife fighting system called Silat Sabungin. You can see a clip from the first dvd on his web site www.boneheadllc.com. The second dvd should be listed this week. Just thought I'd throw that in as another good resource. Thanks.

10. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

shootodog,
    the knife is from kdm. max was very good with a blade, the empty hands come from the blade.

11. shootodog

yes, i found out from brother teacher that kdm has knife. actually.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Quick question

someone plz answer

how come in escrima training a 2 1/2 to 3 foot stick is used for training, but a hunting sized knife can be used too?
    How would the moves apply to the two sizes.

Reason Im asking is sometimes I buy a Budo international magazine, In the video catalogue section where you order videos there is an escrima section... in the section there is one video that shows training and everyone is training with a stick, a pretty big one, like a tanbo or kali stick. Anyway in another video it says comes with two training knives and they are only about 6 inches long. Does the size of the knife matter? or does it change between styles of escrima. I was told that escrima is training for something like a ris or a short sword.

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Eskrima/Escrima is the name of the art- not the weapon. Many styles of Eskrima train in namy shapes & sizes of weapon. The main ones that I teach are...

Single stick 28-31"
    Double stick - two of the above
    Knife - small pocket folder size up to what would be classes as a short sword
    Sword / machette - same length as single stick but bladed
    Staff - anywhere between 36" and 6' - basically anything that is easier to wield 2 handed than 1 handed.

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Re: Quick question

Yes size does matter. And you've touched on a common misconception about the Filipino arts. All techniques don't work the same on weapons of different lenghts (see Yoda's post for a good breakdown of weapons lengths). A six inch tactical folder is much shorter in many cases than the Filipino "knife" that the technique was meant for. There is a difference in cutting ability and penetration power.

Tuhon Bill McGrath (of Pekiti Tirsia International) wrote a great article on this that's archived over at the Inside Kung Fu site (unfotunately the pictures are currently broken). You can find it by scrolling down this page:
    http://www.cfw2.com/article.asp?s=cfw&content_id=3077

I think it's a must read for those who are interested in the basics of knife fighting and knife self defense.

Hope this helps,

- Matt

15. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

good, I started escrima last night at the dojo, I recently ordered two escrima sticks, but I have a six inch folding knife and when I do tanbo katas I use a machete from my basement because the moves can also be applied to short sword.

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Who's your Eskrima instructor? What style?

17. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Tres Cantos Knife

Hi guys! Ever heard of the Tres Cantos? Now, this is one sneaky, treacherous and quite deadly home made knife that is now a favorite in Cebu - specially the tough areas downtown.

Basically, it is a three sided blade with a really sharp point. Actually, we use a triangular filing tool and we sharpen all the three sides and taper the tip to a sharp point.

We found out that among the knives that we train (including the olisi blade or kris), the Tres Cantos is the most difficult to defend against.

Advantages of this sneaky knife are:

1) You can slash and within the same movement change to stab - all with a very imperceptible flick of your wrist or the angle of your slash/stab. The three sided blade already gives you plenty of opportunities to vary your angles of attack without changing your grip, your wrist angle / rotation or even your arm movement.

2) Sheathed, the knife would look just like an ordinary tool (a sandfiler perhaps). Very sneaky... huh?

3) Its narrow blade (like a stilletto) gives it a stealthy profile giving the defender much difficulty in tracking its movement using peripheral vision - as what knife defense teaches. But even if your break your training and focus on the knife itself, you will still have difficulty tracking it because of its slim profile. Well, the defender must have a better than average eye - hand coordination to successfully defend against the Tres Cantos.

:woo:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
  18. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

I've heard of that Gravity. But from what I understand, it's more of a modified icepick, with more metal in the body of the "blade" to give it more strength, making it less likely to bend on impact. The cross section is triangular, so you actual 3 edges. That would be a bit tricky to deal with but anyone with well developed knife skills from FMA will should be able to figure i out...
    parang icepick na rin..(it's a bit like an icepick)

19. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Valued Member

Do you have a picture?

20. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I learn something new about Arnis/Escrima/Kali everyday ^_^

...man, am I glad I speak Tagalog.

"Langit" literal translation - "HEAVEN"
    "Sak-Sak" literal translation - "STAB"

And yes, icepicks are quite a popular weapon in the bad areas of the Philippines.