Knight_Errant's 20 rep squat cycle

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knight_Errant, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

OK, so I thought I'd start a new log here as well as the thing on fitocracy.
    Today, I warmed up by jumping rope and started my 20 rep squat oddysey with 70kg. Felt pretty tough, but not vomit-inducing tough. I foolishly went straight into my upper body stuff.
    Hit 7 pullups, and did bench presses. I wussed out of my third set as I hit failure on the second, meaning I did 5 reps and 2 reps of 72.5k. Also, tuck sits for 3x20 seconds.
    In the evening I did my usual stretching and dynamic stretching.
    I may need to re-think my upper body activities. I think I'll go for a lighter weight and 3x10 on the bench press. No need to overdo this, as I'll get plenty of work from the 20 rep squats. I'll stick with the pullups, but greasing the groove will have to wait, as the main focus here is driving my squat up and getting bigger.
    Protein for the protein god! I had an amazing lamb dinner as my post workout nutrition :D

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Which version are you using?

3. Knight_Errant

What versions are there?

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's lots of different variations, but the truly effective ones have squats, pullovers, maybe 1-2 other exercises, and that's it. Yours sounds about right.

5. Knight_Errant

OK, cool. I've been reading Brawn by Stuart Mcrobert recently, and he recommends a set of deadlifts right after the squats. I do not entirely fancy this as after a set of 20 rep squats, the only thing I'm really fit for is babbling incoherently and gibbering in the foetal position. Certainly not deadlifting. I'm proposing to do a set of squats, wait until I don't feel ill, doing some pullovers, and do 3 rounds of 10 bench presses, pullups to less than failure and 20 seconds of tuck sitting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sounds pretty reasonable. I can't remember exactly, but I think mine was pretty similar to that with 3 sets of chin-ups, dips, and decline sit-ups. Really as long as you got the squat and pullovers you can't go wrong.

7. Careful with your form, your lower back and back will be fried from the squats (unless you are a beast)...
    Don't go hurting yourself. :)

OSu!

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

awesome. i'm following.

as i remember the one i read was 20 rep set, 3x20 breathing pullovers then dips, chins and incline sit ups.

tempted to join you on this soon

9. Knight_Errant

I'm still sore :cry:
    I think I'll keep the 20 rep squat workouts to 2 a week.
    I've been walking- I do an hour's circuit around my village and through the woods. Apart from that, do you think it's advisable to do some burpees or other bodyweight exercises just for conditioning?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. Nope... A nice long walk is great. :)
    If your target is to pack up some weight and strength, eat first, then take a long nap instead of burpees (that should not be too difficult to choose from, should it? :D)

OSu!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's better to do too less on the 20 rep squat routine than too much.

12. Knight_Errant

Another day of walking and stretching. I've got kung fu class later though.

13. You can do abs and low back on off days (not overdoing it, but some...), as weight increases in your squats, you'll be happy you did. :)

Osu!

14. Knight_Errant

My usual one hour walk in the morning, then in the afternoon:
    5 mins jump rope
    3x5 squats @ 50 kg just to warm up
    1x20 squats @ 75kg
    20 breathing pullovers with a 10kg weight plate.
    I did really badly on the upper body stuff. 65 kg bench press 10 reps, then 6 reps on the second set. 3 pullups, 20 second tuck sit. Only managed 2 rounds, and the second round was just dreadful.

15. Kudos on upping the weight KE... well done! :)
    Don't worry too much about the upper body work, the effect of the squats will help that too...

(are you already dreading the next squat session?)
    Eat and sleep are your two best friends!

Osu!

16. Knight_Errant

Yes, I'd underestimated the terror that this workout would inspire in me between sessions. I've been eating like a pig, and sneaking in naps in the middle of the day.

17. Terror is an adequate term... :D
    Worry not, we'll push with you!

Eating like a pig in between naps... that's the key to success! ;)

Osu!

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Don't sweat it. The squats are the real meat and potatoes of this entire workout. The rest is just filler.