Knife laws in Texas

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by B.A. Baracus, Aug 10, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, any more than a few feet and it is easy to get out of the way.

If you think about how people can dodge a punch, consider how easy it is to dodge a knife from 10' away.

2. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

I don't know who Gill Hibben is but I can throw anywhere from 55-5 feet no spin and I don't l know the range. its all in the hand eye coordination. your brain has a built in range finder you just have to train it.
    Yes I agree with you this dude didn't invent the throw but he does a good demonstration
    I practice while I am moving if you watch the whole video he will give you a demonstration of hitting a target while jumping, running sitting down, standing up. he even throws from laying on the ground.

3. B.A. Baracus

For long range go to 12:50 on the vid

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not talking about you moving. Talking about a resisting moving opponent. Not even just moving, but resisting and able to counter attack.

Seriously, I am quite sure once you do some sparring and drills in a school against a resisting opponent, you will see what I and others are saying here.

5. B.A. Baracus

Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about throwing knives. I don't think you can practice on a live target with a knife. throwing it anyways. rubber knives work great for practice on close quarters work but not throwing.

if you can hit something while you are moving then you can theoretically hit a moving target. and besides if you are fast your opponent should never even know you have a knife, much less that you are throwing it. I practice pulling a concealed knife and throwing without any warning or telegraphing.

6. B.A. Baracus

then again you may be right. I have never throw a knife at a person. but the way I figure it if I am fast enough that I cant see the knife while its in the air then they cant either

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think we are talking about the practicality of throwing a knife in a self defense situation.

"Theoretically" is your problem IMO. You aren't understanding the difference between you moving against a still target and trying to hit a moving resisting opponent. There is a difference.

Correct, which is why you don't know the reality of being able to do so.

I can move around a bag and throw elbows all day long. Powerful elbows too! But my success rate of throwing a good elbow in sparring class against a resisting opponent is much harder. (Although I am slightly improving this ability.)

Theory vs practice. Or rather, practicality and success rate in practice vs theory is exactly why so many of us dislike the false impressions that people get when thinking they can learn a martial skill from youtube, video's, or books.

People watch a video and think the theory always works, even without practice against an opponent. The strike will always have the desired effect and be "deadly" or stop the opponent. The move practiced in the air or on a bag is going to be that easy to pull off against someone trying to not get hit AND throwing their own strikes.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What you are talking about is assassinating someone with a knife. The difference between you moving and someone else moving is massive.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is literally pearls before swine.....

We have a teen who has zero experience trying to justify a dumb idea and refusing to listen to those who have vastly higher experience and skill

Unbelievable

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  10. B.A. Baracus

I hope I frustrate you as much as you frustrate me. ;)

11. Hannibal

No i am not frustrated I just despair of how people who know nothing consider that their opinions are as valid

They aren't

Youth is wasted on the young

12. B.A. Baracus

When you say experience what exactly do you mean? time sparring? how do you get experience putting a knife in someone unless you are a criminal? A wood post is as real as I prefer to get unless I have to defend myself.

13. B.A. Baracus

when you are young your stupid and happy. when your old your wise and grumpy. just the way it is. don't fight it Gramps.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

All we need is a circle of school kids yelling "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!"

15. B.A. Baracus

I think I missed your joke. I have no sense of humor.

16. Hannibal

Or experience but that doesnt seem to be slowing you down so I wouldnt worry about missing a joke or two

17. Hannibal

Can I have the capoeria song from "Only the Strong" instead?

18. B.A. Baracus

well I think I missed that as well. im obviously not gaining experience talking to you so I think I shall leave this conversation and go walk the street for a while. good experience builder that.
    Thank you for your enlightening criticism.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Where am i supposed to get that many straw hats at such sort notice?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's ok, it comes with age.