Knife defence / fighting

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by old timer, Jan 29, 2005.

1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Bob or Mike!

Hi Old Timer,

Its been a while since I viewed Bob Breen's knife video, but as I recall it was one or two techniques repeated over 45 minutes! Sometimes Bob has the knife, sometimes his partner has it, sometimes they both have one, sometimes neither. I felt it was the worst value for money tape I bought. One good drill, for 45 minutes!

I did a brief course with Emanuel Hart (whom I will be hosting in Newcastle at the end of May: plug see events for more details sooner to the date) on Reactive Knife. One thing he pushed was that the RK system was developed for American, i.e. armed, Police Officers in order to give them time to draw their guns. Its not a civilian based system, so i feel it may be of academic interest, but its is aimed at a very specific market.

Bill

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hey old timer, sorry to hear you have not received your vid yet, I hope they will get it out to you soon, I would like to hear your opinions on it.

Bob teaching 1 or 2 techniques in 45 minutes, Mmmm, that sound like Bob I'm affraid, I never seen the vid, he wanted me to go with him to Germany to film it with him after all I was in the first JKD one (Attributes) but we were already falling out at the time and my interests were elsewhere so I declined, Bob is very good at marketing, but he is also very good with the knife, so even if you get the 1 or 2 techniques he shows on his Video he will cover every aspect of the 2 techniques rather than just skirt over the tiechniques like so many others do, better to get 2 techniques working correctly than get a hundred techniques that you do badly I always say.

Anyway as for choosing between the 2, I would definetly go for the Mike Inay Vid's, no disrespect to Bob by the way, but I feel that Mike Inays knife programe is got to be the best I have seen on Video todate.

Buy both, I am sure you will learn good stuff from both, Bob and Mike worked a lot togther over the years,

If I were to rate all 3 videos (Bob's one would have to be on what I know Bob Knows) it would be as follows, points out of 10.

1. Mike Inay = 10 / 10
    2. Bob Breen = 8 / 10
    3. Karl Tanswell = -5 / 10

But thenthat's just my opinion.

Regards

Pat

3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

i have bob's new video's the one's on in dartford,they have alot more on them then the one's done i Germany,has one on knife defence and one on knife fighting,and few others on FMA in the new series

4. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Are they any good, pro's and con's please.

5. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

ok pro's
    1) shows drills and variants on them drills
    2)clearly explained,no voice over's
    3)lots of small details

con's
    1) no slow motions sections,have to rewind tape if missed bit