Knees

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Silver_no2, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

I am in something of a catch 22 situation.

I weigh 16st 11 (for all our American friends that's 235 pounds/for all the Europeans that's approximately 106.8kg). Having just spent another three months out injured I now have to get fit again.

My dilemma is that running and the like is hurting my knees (which I've damaged the ligaments of several times) but I can't get the weight off unless I do plenty of cardiovascular. I am improving my eating habits to help me, and I try to go swimming a couple of times a week at lunch time but does anyone know any CV exercises that don't put strain on my knees? Owning a bike is not practical because of my accomodation situation.

Any suggestions?

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I am in a similar dilemma, and can't rely on running.

Swimming is good, so is water aerobics, if you happen to have that available to you. Water aerobics provides a very good workout as long as the water is neck-deep or so. No strain at all on the knees with that. Walking is also good, and you can make it much more aerobic by walking uphill. When walking uphill, you don't necessarily have to walk fast, so you can keep it relatively soft on the knees.

I don't know where you swim, but if it's in a gym/health club/YMCA, do they have treadmills or recumbent bikes? An adjustable treadmill can be set to an incline, and provide pretty good cardio exercise. I find a recumbent bike to be easier on the knees than a standard bike.

Good luck! (And I'll be lookng for any additional ideas from other posters!)

3. Vajra_guru

Vajra_guru New Member

Hey, I have also got knee injuries and it is annoyin when they get injured. Are you British? I'm just guessing cos of your usage of st's. Owning a small exercise bike might be good, or you could use a local gym's bike. Punch bags are tiring also, but you mentioned you accomodation situation.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Swimming - Excellent. Keep it up.

Walking - Not a quiet stroll. I mean the kind that raises your heart beat. Something like power walking.

Jogging - You might be able to get away with jogging in parkland on grass if you wear proper cushioned running shoes. Check out your local running shop.

Gym - There are a few reasons why you should get to the gym.
    1. Get some advice from, hopefully, properly trained and knowledgable instructors.
    2. You should also find some excellent "non-impact" cardio' equipment.
    a. Rowing Machine.
    b. Cycle.
    c. Eliptical Trainer.
    d. Nordic Track Ski Machine.
    These should work wonders.

Good Luck.
    Cheers.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

swimming - definitely. and what Kinjiro said, if you can, join an aqua work-out group. it'll do some good.

make sure not to overdo it, since you are just beginning. what exactly was injured? that is a very important question because it might determine what you should and shouldn't do.

if you haven't been training for the past 3 months, you should definitely take it easy and first work on your muscles to strengthen them after which you can move on to heavier cardio vascular training.

what did you doctor say, your therapist? i am recovering from a knee surgery at the moment and i had to take it slowly as well in the beginning. you'll lose your weight, don't worry. i can see you have your mind set on it but you can't rush it. after 3 months of not training your muscles are weak and remember the quadriceps is a muscle that takes long time to recover just like the heart muscle.

rearrange your eating habbits a bit, make sure to drink a lot (not Coke or that stuff), eat plenty of fruit and vegetables...you know the drill and take it easy on your knee. the heavier you are, the heavier it is for your knees and after 3 months of not training you can't simply continue where you left off.

after a while see how your body will react to the training and then make a long-term plan because you can't lose weight and get fit again in a week. be patient! it would be great if you went to a gym/fitness center because a qualified person could make a program for you. i had the same done. i followed my doctor's and therapist's orders and did my program and i am recovering well.

there are so many people on MAP with injured knees. you know guys what we should do? start a ''knee support'' forum :D