knees and elbows

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by M Lambert, Mar 7, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

hi, i train in a WAKO/AMA/IFKKA club, when sparring we're often told "no knees, elbows or spinning back fist", but we practice knee and elbow strikes in pad work sections of class, so i was wondering if outside of these set sparring rules, knees and elbows can be used in kickboxing? E.G if I'm in a sparring session with other clubs (apparently we're starting that up) can I use them or do you think we're purely taught it for "Street skills" ????

Cheers

PS, the way our sparring works usually, incase it makes a difference
    we do short bouts (2 to 4 minutes) with everyone sparring everyone, no official distinction between beginner and expert, everyone can learn from everyone and does, although we do tend to beeline to a certain set of people sometimes, after a bout we rotate to a different fighter.

2. Randel

Randel Valued Member

Knees and elbows are usualy disallowed under noirmal kickboxing conduct as they hurt an awful lot and you dont wear pads there.
    Most clubs teach elbow and knee strikes for self defence purposes or for full contact bouts.

Saying that.. Knees and elbows rock :D

3. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Mui Thai

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

you just gotta take each session as it comes but if you wanna spar using knees and elbows why not find a willing partner and go for it.

5. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

lol since i accidentally hit my wall practicing elbow technique and put a fair old crack in it, i dont want to be on the recieving end :D Although it did look pretty awesome to me :D lol

6. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

knees to the legs and body in the cliunch are ok i guess
    to the head ios a bit dangerous

elbows to the ehad??? naah dont spar with them you get cuts and stuff

7. Dunders

Dunders New Member

Knees, elbows, spinning back fist thats muay thai.Elbow strikes to the temple killed loads of fighters back in the day and they had to get some rules into force.Knees and spinning back fist are really great!! and can be used to spar as long as you use control.

8. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Most gyms dont use elbows or straight knees in sparring. Spinning back fists are something I wouldn't concern myself with unless you've been training a while and I don't think you have if I remember correctly. Also what rules you will spar with will heavily depend on the other gym and whether it is a Muay Thai or kickboxing gym. We do use round knees when sparring at our Muay Thai gym but as everyone has pointed out control is extremely necessary when using knees.

And Dunders who died back in the day? Im not familiar of their being a spout of elbow related deaths anytime in the past?

9. Dunders

Dunders New Member

Hi CKava. I remeber reading this somewhere ...

The knee and elbow are the thai boxers deadliest weapons.Elbows to the temple made a staggering death toll,up until world war two.Then new rules quickly came into force.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  10. CKava

Elbows to the temple are still allowed in Muay Thai?!? And there's been no deaths I've heard reported. If alot of American kickboxers had died when kickboxing was just starting due to elbows to the head you could bet your life it would be a well known and often referenced fact. As it stands at the minute Id suggest what you've heard is just a rumour.

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Pro Muay Thai rules allow elbows and knees to the head. Amature rules allow knees only to the body, and no elbows.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

sorry to break it to you man but elbows to the temple are still very much legal.

13. Dunders

Dunders New Member

Thanks for putting me right.
    Pro Muay Thai is hardcore.

14. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

you can put some elbow pads on and do some elbow training doing them bear you are just going to get some serious cuts. and ameture does'nt alow spinning back fists either

15. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

i have been put down by a knee to the head as this blackbelt pulled my head side ways and brought his knee up fast it hit me in the ear and in my temple. first i felt sick, then blood came out of my ear, then i went dizzy fell to the floor and passed out for about 1 minute.(hurt like fcuk the next day)

16. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Elbows are allowed to the body under amature rules

17. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I really don't think that knees or elbows to the body are that hard to control. A lot easier than say, round kicks to the head.
    To the head.... yeah. Do you think that with elbows pads, soft head gear, and regular control that elbows to the head would be alright for sparring?

18. CKava

If you took all the precautions you suggest light sparring would be alright I think but the chances are you could still end up cut... Professional Thai Boxers tend not to spar with elbows to avoid getting cut so maybe thats a sign that well.. its a relatively dangerous thing to spar with. Ultimately it's up to you, your sparring partner and the gym your in what you include in your sparring. So if you want to spar with elbows, you wear the equipment, your coach is fine with it, your training partner is fine with it and your fine with it... then fine.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We spar modified knockdown rules that allows knees to the body and head and elbows to the body (but still no punching to the head like normal knockdown). We lay off using the knees to the head in club sparring but they sometimes happen in gradings and comps. We get the odd winding from knees but so far nothing major. I've had a knee to the face scrape the skin off my forehead at a grading as I narrowly avoided the full impact.
    Personally I like to use elbows to the bicep and deltoid when in close.
    For one it can weaken the arms over the course of a couple of rounds but more importantly for me it makes sure that they're on my mind to use when the occasion warrants even if I can't hit my target of choice (the head) in regular sparring.
    Hopefully it should be less of a jump to target the head with an elbow aimed at the deltoid than having to employ an elbow from scratch.

20. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

I pratice sparring with elbows using a face guard head protector and elbow pads, close as I can get to real thing without getting cut up