Knee Surgery...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Angelus, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I posted around august last year that i had been having knee pain. After months of being passed on from doctor to doctor and getting xrays and ultrasounds....I am finally going in for surgery...
    Saw the orthopedic surgeon an hour ago and he said that i had torn lat menisci...and i had to go in for a "scope"
    Surgery is set for April 13th.... and no training of any kind involving my knees till then :cry: - except some biking.
    NO KUNG FU! :cry:

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

good luck with the surgery and the recovery
    one good thing is you can get your gun show ready for the beach

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If your going to have a knee surgery the lat menisci is the one to have. Its just about the easiest surgery to have done and recover from.

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

we should start a gimp club. My date is 5 march. Good luck!

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you guys just remember to run away from the light :D

6. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Unless it's a hot nurse checking your pupil dialation :D

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

8. Angelus

Ill remember that... don't run from hot nurses in blinding white light..

Hux you going for a surgery too?!

9. prowla

prowla Valued Member

When I had my knee op, the anaesthetist told me what he was going to do, and had a couple of attempts plugging the tubes into my hand before he hit the vein, and then I woke up back on the ward to the smell of toast, and it tasted good (I hadn't been allowed to eat before the op).
    They made me walk up and down some steps to make sure I could get about with a crutch, and then I went home (though wifey nearly ran me into a post pushing the wheelchair along the walkway between hospital buildings on the way to the car!).
    It took a while to get back into training, and it still aches a bit from time to time when I overdo things.
    But basically, I'm happy.

Hope things go well guys!

10. Angelus

o_O
    doc told me i can go back to training soon.....what happened to your knee?

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The whole check the dialated pupil by a hot and buxom nurse is just a ruse... once she has you distracted she actually rams a catheter up your urethra. :D :eek: :cry:

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

That's when you demand your spunge bath

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I had been having severe pain, to the point of not being able to train.
    So I had an arthroscopy.
    Fortunately, there wasn't any damage to the meniscus, so they simply did a bit of a clean out.
    Whatever, it worked!
    It was just under 2 years ago.
    I still do get a bit of an ache on occasions, but nothing as bad as it was.
    I've also put in a bit of thought as to how to move to be kinder to the joints, such as walking straight down the stairs, the angle of my leg when sitting down or getting in/out of the car, where my feet go when walking, and suchlike.
    And I've done some work to build up the muscles around the knee (the post-op physio suggested that).
    I've found the exercise bike in the gym very good for that. It's hard work and boring as hell if you don't get your mindo off what you're doing, so what I do is close my eyes and go through katas and other moves in my head.

14. Angelus

oo... doc said i should be able to go back to my normal activities fairly quickly
    im having my op on a friday... im going for post op physio on the following monday and the doc said i can go back to school on tuesday...

15. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

If your going to be in constant pain for the rest of your life or disabled in any way i would say get it done, but if you are not in that bad of pain dont get it knees are tricky and surgery is a last resort

Good luck i hope everything goes great

16. Angelus

last resort... i cant run... i tried running for bus the other day... and my knee hurt like hell later...