Knee Support stuff

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Llamageddon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Update

Went to the doc's today. She obviously didn't enjoy the grinding/cracking! Said it was a little bit swollen (which means it probably has been for a while!) and there was some fluid on it. Thought it could be CMP. I'm off for an x-ray tomorrow, and if that isn't helpful enough she said she'd put me in for a CT Scan.

I love the NHS :D

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Llama it will also help if you learn to pivot on the ball of your foot rather than stressing turns partially through your knee joint. Prevention being better than cure on its own... :)

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I posted a thread recently about training in shoes. I was surprised by the responses in regard to pivoting. I wonder how many people cannot pivot or struggle to do it correctly.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Indeed. I always pivot on the ball of my foot now. Even then the heel thing was a rarer occurrence, I promise! ;)

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

That's what I tried to do when I was taking TKD classes (18 mths 2009-2011) and it was in TKD that I tore my LCL - only a minor tear but it has been giving me trouble - on & off - for nearly a year - my 'remedy' - I have given up TKD (I moved so that was easy - but may go back to it one day) wear a knee support at the gym and in Tai Chi, Karate and Karate Jutsu classes - [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-G-OPEN-PATELLA-KNEE-SUPPORT/dp/B001M04WVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312919300&sr=8-1"]Neo-G OPEN PATELLA KNEE SUPPORT - Knee Support, New Breathable Model Exclusive to OLSSS: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure[/ame]

I am hoping that the work I am doing in the gym will strengthen the knee - I am taking the exercises slowly as I want to make sure I don't do more harm than good...

My advice for any knee injury - 1st see a doctor and then acknowledge that it may take a while for complete rehab.

Best wishes for speedy recoveries Llama & Icefield.