Knee Support stuff

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Llamageddon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

'Ello,

I've decided I probably need a proper neoprene or whatever it's made out of knee support, and I thought you knowledgeable types could give me some advice, or recommendations of where to get a decent priced one, or even hook me up with one? ;)

Cheers all!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've got one you can have.

Send me a postal address and I'll post it off.

It has been used but is in good condition.

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

What's the issue?
    Have you been advised by an expert to use one?

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Some good questions.

The basic over the counter neoprene ones don't actually do all that much.

5. Simon

Thats it, massively undermine my enormously generous free gift why don't you? :bang:

6. righty

righty Valued Member

Oh they are worth a shot if you have tried other options.

But they don't actually provide much support.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Agreed,plus artificially supporting a joint that lacks stability can make the injury worse in the ling term.

Often people need to work on improving the VMO and increasing the stability of the knee, and by supporting it artificially they are worsening the issue.

8. Simon

Aaaaaarrgggghhhh, bloody kids leaving stuff on the stairs.

Now where is that knee br..... agh, damn.

9. Llamageddon

I'll just hope for the placebo effect then! ;)

I've got (although self-diagnosed) chondromalacia patella, where the kneecap tracks weirdly across the knee and produces a nice grinding sound and feeling, and sometimes it'll ache. Last time I went to an osteo they had no idea what it was (but they were mostly students).

Basically I need to work out where the imbalance is so I can set about correcting it, but until then I'd quite like a bit of support around it.

Simon, your gift was very generous and I will be using it alongside a tubular one I also have (not at the same time, obviously).

I'm in the process of saving up so I can see a professional.

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

pm me with an e-mail addy and I will send you a couple sheets of advice/exs for CMP although you might not have that... you know that they say he who self diagnoses has a fool for a doctor ;' )

LFD

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Neoprene doesnt actually hold much support when full weight on it. Which I found out when I was wrestling at Urban Kings and the knee went pop.

But it does hold things a little bit better together. But its the best thats out there if youre also training thats also most flexible..otherwise you'll be wearing the robo leg thing. (like my one below)

Attached Files:

12. Simon

You are all forgetting Llama is a poor student who lives off of cider, toast and hand me downs.

13. Mushroom

Soccer World or whereever LLama's from version of Lillywhites. £5 or there abouts.

14. Llamageddon

Exactly!

To be fair, I'm not looking for full on support as such, just something that is going to help with the tracking of my kneecap.

You'll all be happy to hear that I have an appointment with the doc on Tuesday afternoon. Now, if only they'll listen to me this time.

Had to get ibuprofen today cos it ached and felt hot. Haven't really had that before...

15. Late for dinner

I've used braces a number of times over the years but tbh I don't think that they honestly do much wrt actual support. I think (pure speculation and theorizing here :' ) that they facilitate muscle activation and help you to use your muscles better when the muscles have been inhibited by an injury.

One study I saw years ago with ice hockey players showed that there was virtually no support from a big hard cage that was on the knee (it was surmised that to hold the knee still you would have to literally make it unable to move and thus be unable to oplay with the brace on). Knees are two posts with 4 strands attaching them together but the muscles give the main support. If you have a bit of laxity from previous strains then the normal tension on the ligaments that help to get the muscles working does not occur as easily and I believe that you become more susceptible to a re-sprain.

Anything that stimulates muscle activity will help to lessen the chance of re-injury and give your body a chance to heal.

I play rugby regularly with no support once I got my knee strength built up again so there is hope Lama even for you :' )

LFD

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  16. Mushroom

Lonsdale knee support w/patella support is the nuts for it then

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

just got me some of these, ripped something in my knee about 2 months ago getting single legged, ripped as in heard something ripping inside the knee, ever since then its felt weak and clicks easy when turning corners. single leg squats and band work help but for squatting and wrestling i need the supports, been using cheap ones but now onto the lonsdale ones

18. Late for dinner

Need to go and have that looked at properly mate.... could recommend a physio ;' )

LFD

19. Mushroom

As above...doesnt sound good Icefield best get that looked into. Can be anything from a minor torn meniscus to either a ACL or PCL tear. Apparently you can function without the acl/pcl but not great.

Mine is still clicking etc but I've had minor minor tears to them.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

cheers lads think ill pop to the docs next week