Knee Rider's uncreatively titled training log: 100% tedium guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knee Rider, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You probably will want to get better at it even more, when you see children do it without a problem ;)
    I thought about strangling them by accident.

axelb likes this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I work with primary school children... They literally rub my face in their skipping skills daily.

axelb likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You just earned so much respect for working with kids this age every day.
    As fun as it can be (I guess anyway), I think it's really hard work nonetheless.

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. Knee Rider

Results for the army fitness test that Travess was asked to do for his new Kyu grades who were struggling.

2 min Push Ups - 48 reps
    2 min Sit Ups - 60 reps
    2 min Lunges - 60 reps
    2 min Plank - 1 minute

felt good on most excersies and had time left over on a few excersises but didnt have the gas left to carry on.

right hand started hurting during pressups so had about 30 secs left where I probably could have bashed out 10 or 20 more or so.

sit ups I did in one big set and was done with about 30 secs left again.

lunges were harder than I thought and I did right up to time.

plank was horrible.

I'll be doing another one of these in february and working on progressively increasing my rep trange using an app for my phone. Quite a fun little strength endurance barometer this! I used to be able to do a deck of card workout in 17 mins so am aiming to get back up to that standard. This should help me!

I'm off to do some light weights for my shoulders now.

Xue Sheng, Travess and axelb like this.
  5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Excellent effort Knee Rider, and kudos for givining at a go...

Yup! I was shaking like a pooing dog by the 90 second mark!

Travess

Knee Rider likes this.
  6. Travess

Deck of cards workout???

Travess

7. Knee Rider

Yeah used to do it 3 times a week back in 2010.

8. Travess

I had NO idea what a 'Deck of Cards' workout was (just Googled it though!) and it appears (of course) that there are now apps for it - Interesting...

Travess

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Why would you use an app, when you could just use cards?
    Or am I unusual in having 8 or so decks in the house?
    (bicycle cards are the best if you wanted to Know)
    #oldpersonsviews

Knee Rider likes this.
  10. Travess

Wait until your little one gets older, you'll have 8 packs of folded, ripped or lost cards in the house!!!
    #parentalviews :D

Travess

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Knee Rider

I did the gotche's bible version. Give that a Google :)

Travess likes this.
  12. Knee Rider

Kickboxing tonight:

Warm up.

Kick sparring.

Give and take: combinations with hands and feet switching between Southpaw and orthodox.

Stretching.

Stayed behind afterwards to work my own stuff.

Working the concrete demon is getting so much easier. I'm essentially ploughing full force kicks in and it's not actually hurting at all at this point. I'm getting a nice satisfying crack when I land in it and it feels awesome. Quite surprised how little time it's taken to stop feeling unpleasant.

Did some hands on the aqua bag and some knees on the more forgiving heavy bag (softer by far).

No footage as nobody was free to film me for the purposes of vainglorious naval gazing.

axelb and Travess like this.
  13. Knee Rider

I have to skip training tonight as my girlfriend is unwell.

I wanted to try a few things out and to film some bag footage featuring the combo from last video upload but with much better distance management and a new footwork angle I've been working on but it'll have to wait till next time.

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Oh no :( I hope she feels better soon.

Knee Rider likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Hope she gets better soon

Knee Rider likes this.
  16. Knee Rider

Had a demoralising session tonight. I am quite hard on myself. I tend to focus on the mistakes or defeats to the detriment of the successes; but even knowing that I can't help but feel a bit low.

Session itself was ok and I stayed behind to get some sparring rounds in tonight.

To be honest they went quite well. I felt like I managed distance well, landed solid leg kicks (inside and outside), got a few nice sweeps off kick catches, got to the clinch a few times and touched in some knees with good control and felt like I could dictate when we disengaged, worked my jab well-ish, however I ate far more hooks than I would liked and didn't see them coming, my kick checking felt inconsistent and off point I found it tough to land anything other than my jab hands-wise and was swinging a few poorly balanced desperate hooks in the pocket which missed by miles at some points.

The worst thing was probably during the end rounds where I was pretty much covering up and moving forward through shots to get to the clinch and land inside leg kicks against punches. Nothing significant got through but at this point I was just walking forward and failing to shut off my opponents or create any angles for my own offence. Occasionally a hook would get through and make me feel like a mindless tank just absorbing fire and getting nowhere. I found it really frustrating and I just couldn't get my game going at all.

I'd say my hands were overall completely terrible tonight and my offensive footwork was practically nonexistent. My ability to time incoming kicks just felt off and I want to throw my toys out of my pram in a big huff.

So now you know.

cloudz, Nachi and Dead_pool like this.
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

And your still beating everyone who stayed at home tonight.......

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I hate the feeling from days like that. Sometimes if feels like you went back in progress, or was it that the people you train with progressed in those areas with the hand work?
    When it all goes well, it gives you confidence in your skills, but you may not know what to focus on next.

The main thing is that you know what didn't work, and you know what to focus on - your analytical skills are good enough to pick these items up, which you can put into practise to improve.

Knee Rider likes this.
  19. Knee Rider

Obviously wouldn't want to discredit my partner's for what they did and the effect of their strategy etc on the rounds but with that said I noticed even in the rounds where I had comfortable success I was underperforming; couple that with some good footwork and timing on the hands and you have some moments of frustration for me and an overall sense of being sub par despite having a decent amount of success. Overall I felt things weren't clicking like they should but I guess that is to be expected after 2mths out of regular sparring.

You are right though: it's far better for self assessment when you have adversity. Two things I know I'm going to work on are claiming the outside foot position Vs Southpaw, really looking to get length on the jab and timing my teep against forward pressure. I'm sure other things will occurs as I continue to reflect.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  20. Knee Rider

Sparring today.

I felt a little more on point. But I'm still experiencing some hesitance and 'jumpiness' regarding my movement and timing. It was better than last time. But I'm still not happy with it. I was never as smooth as I wanted to be but I'm seemingly even less so at the moment.

The turnout was poor today which resulted in the level of partners not being that challenging, which is fine because I'm not performing well so it gave me a bit of space to experiment.

I'm playing around with my footwork a bit. Mainly I'm attempting to get up on my toes a little more when moving and trying to lighten the lead leg a touch. I'm also switch stepping to angle off after/during punches.

I stayed behind to work the hard bag and shadow box a bit.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.