Knee Rider's uncreatively titled training log: 100% tedium guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knee Rider, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Sessions 2&3: MMA

Session 2:

Class material: downed guard.

Key notes - keep hips off mat and feet on opponent's hips. Push away and down when making space for technical get up. If opponent tries to leg drag the raise hips and stay heavy on the leg, shift onto same side hip and feed opposite leg over and onto opponent's hip to square up and break grip.

Drilling/isolation sparring downed guard with grips/grip breaks on legs, ground n pound, up kicks and creating space to stand.

Session 3:

Class material: armbar setup from a stack from closed guard.

Key notes: open guard and stretch legs over opponent's thighs/hip to bring their hip down to mat. Shoulder walk to make space. Bring both knees tight to opponent's shoulder. Pinch arm between own head and shoulder.

Drilling/isolation sparring from closed guard stack.

Clinch sparring.

Had to leave 15mins early and duck out of full sparring as started to experience banging headache and nausea during session. Tried to power through on water but as soon as I stopped I felt super weak and dizzy. Got home and tried to refuel with tea and toast, paracetamol and OJ. Took about 2hrs to feel OK. Never ever had that feeling before felt really odd. Been eating quite low carb these past few days so wondering if I simply under fuelled for sessions. Not pleasant and hate to leave mat like that.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I'm getting bouts of nausea at the moment as well. I don't know why. Perhaps there is a bug going round.

3. Knee Rider

Sunday runday

Been neglecting my running as of late. I'm going to be remedying that as of now.

Had a gentle run to break my body back in. Focusing on distance rather than pace. Planned route in advance but not as long as I thought.

Run stats:

4.38 miles
    11mins per mile

Training log redux

I started this log to keep track of my forray into Gi BJJ and focus on my kickboxing/thaiboxing development exclusively, but it hasn't really worked out like that in the log run. Overall I find the MMA classes much more enjoyable and at probably more suited to where I'm at in terms of enthusiasm/mentality. I recognise that Gi BJJ has hugely developed my grappling even in this short time so I'm still going to include it in my training. I'm going to take occasional privates in boxing to develop my hands.

In light of this I'm juggling my schedule about to go as follows.

MMA x 4 per week
    Gi BJJ x 1 per week
    Running x 2 per week - running to develop and maintain recovery rate, mental fortitude and weight control (get plenty of anerobic work in MMA)

I'm also going to be logging my diet daily to aid my weight goals (I want to cut fat, build muscle) and will be considering programming in 2 days of 5-3-1 as soon as I feel my shoulder can handle it.

New log begins tomorrow.

Edit - almost forgot! I got stung by a nettle 10mins into my run but shrugged it off cuz I'm that hard #warriormind #mummy'slittlesoldier :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  4. Knee Rider

Session 1: MMA

Well... Amazing/punishing session tonight.

Class material: controlling posture from guard/establishing posture from double overs and overhook + head control.

Key notes: double overs - step to side of arm you want to free. Turn elbow towards ceiling relax and slide out. Always control bicep with freed arm/hand. Head control - attempt inside hand side first. Peel off hand by gripping deep over pinky.

Typical start session format ie warm up, sprawls, shadow boxing with sprawls to pummeling for rounds.

Drilling 2 for 2 compliment. Alive drills/objective sparring of class material.

King of hill downed guard one man up passing with strikes.

While we were drilling you could hear the cage crashing and creaking in the background. There was grunting and the ubiquitous sound of 7oz gloves connecting with flesh. I didn't pay any attention during class as I was focused on what I was doing. I looked over in my water break to see two well muscled Iranian wrestlers (the wrestling coach who appears to work with the fight team and his student) absolutely battering each other (aggressive doubles, side rides with face smashing etc)

I managed to take centre on king of hill and was overjoyed to see them popping out the cage to join in.

I has an alright time dealing with the student. He played a very wrestling centric game based on stacking and I managed to flat him out, control posture and threaten the sweep a few times but couldn't time him enough to hit any or get my angle just right. After that I was breathing out my ****.

Full rolling with strikes.

"You get the beast" I was told.

Oh great.

Didn't fair so well this time. Guy managed to pass my guard so I put him in half and worked back. Heavy smothering pressure, his coach coaching him in Iranian at the side of the mat. He passed again. Half again. Managed to work underhook and get on side... Tried to hip out and drive through butvhe squashes me back. Scramble. He ends in mount. Testing off on my beautiful innocent face. I cover and try to recover half guard, bridge, half guard... Nothing. See round out in that spot.

Water

Next round... Oh the guys coach.

Lost count of the amount of times I got subbed. Neck cranks, darces, cranky darces, knee bars, heel hooks... Got tapped from some sort of cradle which felt like a car was on my ribcage.

A humbling and fully exhilarating experience.

Food today: coffee and toast 7:00am, banana and tea 10:45, 4 ham and mustard sandwiches 12:10, BBQ chicken with salad and porridge 5:00, garlic chicken and peppers... About 10mins.

4 litres of water.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Dieting is tough. I'm not sure if logging your food is a good idea because one day you will be like damn I've got to log in a bag of dough nuts. Or something. Best of luck with your diet anyway.

6. Knee Rider

Haha well I'm hoping that the fact I have to log it will mean there is no bag if doughnuts!

7. Knee Rider

Rest day

Rest day today. Thank God, as it is about 6million degrees out there today.

Cue boring food log.

Breakfast - coffee and porridge 7:00
    Snack - orange and tea - 11:00
    Lunch - 4 ham sandwiches 12:10
    Dinner - Thai cod with salad 18:30
    Snack - bowl of bran flakes 19:15

4 litres of water.

8. Knee Rider

Just opened a beer.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Ah, yeh the hot weather can make that tempting. And then after the beer; you don't care about the diet. I have found in the past...

10. Knee Rider

Haha I'm limiting myself to 4 and the diet is staying on point. If I was drinking out it's probably be kebab-o-rama.

Eating:

Sausages and salad tonight.

Have had.

Coffee toast 7:00
    Banana 11:00
    4 ham sandwiches on brown 12:10
    1 beer
    6litres of water

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What type?

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Damn I'd love an Amigo's lager now :(

But I am a bloated fool after eating too many noodles.

13. Knee Rider

Just a nasty Sol.

If I could choose it'd be desperado or a cubanista with a double JD on ice.

14. Knee Rider

Breakfast: coffee 7:40
    Snack: banana 11:00
    Lunch: 2 pakora 1 kofta
    Dinner: 4 beers and a pizza

15. Knee Rider

Fasted run

Fasted morning run (I always run fasted).

Again distance over pace to break myself back into the habit and quite gentle in both respects.

Distance: 4.30 miles
    Pace: 11:07 mins per mile
    Top pace: 8:40 per mile

16. Knee Rider

Session 2&3: MMA + BJJ gi

Class material: double leg finishes (leg reap, turn corner) head and arm choke from side control, technical mount to back take and choke.

Warm up.

1 for one doubles against jab. Footwork movement.

1 for 1 double legs drilling against sprawl (turn corner).

1for1 drilling head and arm after landing in SC

1for1 drilling back take to choke if opponent turns in from SC.

Working with two big fellas. One new tall fat guy and one ripped tall Eastern European dude who is pro (just striking I think). I was shifting a lot of weight so very tired.
    To be honest I've been feeling really weak this week. I dunno if it's the return to running, the heat, the reduced food intake or all three but I'm feeling slight and lacking in explosiveness. I smashed the crap out if the bag while I was waiting for class today and my power and fluidity felt good there but even during warm ups I'm feeling a little tame. It's a bit of a bummer.

Class material: half guard pass to 3/4 mount, ezekiel.

Warm up.

Guard passing isolation sparring

Drilling 1 for 1 half guard pass

1 for 1 choke

Full rolling 2x 5 min rounds.

First round against a lighter white belt. I just played about as was tired and outskill and out weight the guy considerably. Second round against the s&c coach. Hit some good passes but kept getting bridged away with pure strength/mass. Mostly forced to play guard and got tapped a few times with collar chokes.

17. Knee Rider

18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Sounds like a good idea.

I have no qualifications in fitness.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I've been following Ross Enamait for years and have listed him as a reference for patients on blog pages. Always willing to give him a listen since he is usually practical and doesn't use shilling to promote his products. Like his approach.

LFD

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Please for the love of God stay away from t nation and comments like cardio and conditioning are different.

At least Ross's stuff is half decent, although I would point out if you are worries about wearing your body out doing intervals and plyometrics on top of classes 5 days a week will wreck you way more than a few miles of running

DeFranco,s energy system days are good for aerobic and explosive training www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part2/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016