Knee Rider's uncreatively titled training log: 100% tedium guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knee Rider, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Homework: shadow boxing

I shadow box like an idiot all the time when I'm standing idley by the kettle or staring at the wall in a stupor; but seeing as I had to miss a session this weekend I put in some structured time working on the quarter turn and general form.

5x 3min rounds working:
    jab, quarter turn jab
    jab, quarter turn, cross
    Stepping off
    123 roll 323
    123 roll 23... 9? (Uppercut)

Just hand combos with footwork trying to maintain even weight distribution and stance without overreaching or widening my base. Moving from hips and keeping them under me.

2. Knee Rider

Session 1: BJJ Gi

Class material: open guard pass (smash pass).

Start from one shin in to opponent's inside knee and one hand on opposing knee in posture as if preparing pass. Opponent has cross sleeve grip, ankle grip and de la riva hook in.

Break grip (by taking hand and pulling away), initiate leg drag then use counter reaction to stuff opponent's leg. Take same collar grip, move hand to opponent's knee, sit out to side and smash legs with shin over shin. Establish head position, underhook and sprawl. spin to outside to pass.

Rolling 3x 5mins

Rolls felt good. Noted my passing and side control is improving dramatically. Need to work knee on belly escapes.

Too tired to be detailed!

3. Knee Rider

Rest day.

Body felt smashed from yesterday so taking her easy tonight.

4. Knee Rider

Session 2: BJJ Gi

Great session today.

Class material: open guard sweep on standing opponent. Switch to de la riva hook and thigh pressure to create space if they connect elbow to knee switch to berimbolo/electric chair type sweep thing to take back (pretty sick but probably something I will never use). Hip out and pull belt variation as follow up.

Rolling 2x 5mins rounds. Rolled with a brown and a blue. I'm trying to seek out the higher ranked guys to roll with because 1) they are the most technical and therefore 2) they expose the holes in my game in the safest most technical yet pressureful fashion.

I'm trying to focus on posture and pressure in the extreme when passing right now and being very very mindful of retaining the squat/primate posture, leading with the front leg deep and attached to my elbow, hiding the rear leg with good angle and allowing the posture and pressure to open up the passing options calmly and assertively. If it gets to scrappy I'm bailing out to base and posture and starting from scratch. It's paying off. I passed the guys guard solidly and convincingly and ended up dominating position from north south trying to set up shoulder locks and chokes. Positions changed about a bit and afyer being in turtle top ended up back in his guard after failing the half guard pass. Guys defence was obviously stella. He tried a collar choke but I got a hand in to breath. He transitioned to a triangle and I was torn between keeping the hand in or pulling it out and posturing up... deliberated for too long and got subbed. Should have gone for second option in hindsight which is obvious when you consider the need to create space to survive the choke. We reset and I passed solidly again and the round ended. Obviously I was riding high off the round as I can really see my GI game progressing.

Second round with blue... Got utterly smashed. Repeatedly swept. The guy has a really tight open guard. It really reinforced the importance of grips. This guy I really struggle to grip fight with. He establishes them well and they are hard to break when I do they get re-established fast. He has great control with his legs/spider guard and I find it hard to kill his game. His pressure from top is solid and there is no space. He basically always plays the same way so I should get plenty of practice against his style over the next months.

I caught a huuuuuuge knee to the head drilling today: oh hi there cauliflower ear :(

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I just started light sparring and caught a good jab to the nose yesterday :/. First time! We were sparring at less than 20% intensity, nice and light....nose still tender to touch lol. Both had 16oz gloves/gum guard etc.. How long would you say it takes to get used to getting hit for the average guy?

Edit: Sorry, wasn't sure if I could post comments/ask questions on someone's log?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  6. Knee Rider

No worries.

Regarding your question I think it's too subjective to say. I don't think it ever stops being an unpleasent experience; you just have to suck it up in the moment and mitigate against a) the frequency of being hit b) the severity of impact, using proactive strategies like footwork, positioning, head movement and keeping that chin tucked shoulders up.

7. Knee Rider

Session 1: BJJ Gi

So, stupid 'real life' - with its perpetual insistence that I live it, rather than existing in a self enforced hermitude, buried deep in the intricacies of combat mastery like the feral woodsman of zoozitsu - got in the way a bit last week. But back to the grind today.

Class material: lapel choke from side control. Kimura set up from side control.

Rolling 3x 5min rounds

Rolled with a blue and two, three stripe whites. Three dominant rounds for me tonight. Either I passed straight away to side control/north south then mount or I passed to half guard to mount or side control. No subs but my positional dominance was strong.

I'm trying to roll in a mindful way. I've been reading a lot of jujitsu concepts stuff and philosophy of the BJJ game. It's helping develop me into a more technical grappler full stop. Due to the nature of the GI game I have to slow my body down which gives my mind a chance to come to the forefront. Focussing on grips, posture, position and pressure is keeping me focusing on where I should be and what I should be doing rather than my objective alone. This means the objective is almost taking care if itself sometimes. I am also experiencing less scrambles as my game us far far more calculated. Example: tonight I was passing from standing with both my partners knees controlled my right leg in deep behind my opponent's knee in good posture elbow connected. The opportunity for a knee slide pass opened up purely by virtue of this solid foundation. Whilst passing I made an error. I failed to keep my elbow to knee connection and lower my body and base to block the leg, which allowed my opponent to insert their knee between me and themselves. As I was keeping calm and focussed I noted the error so I can correct it next time and as I knew what was failing in the pass I could adjust. I ended up feedingvmy arm through and smashing the legs with my shoulder to pass.

The blue I rolled with was massively complimentary of my game, as were a couple of the older dudes who were sitting out the last round, watching, due to their advancing state of dicrepitude - of which I'm soon to share no doubt. So overall the night was a bit of an ego boost, which I will have to keep in check, else I'm going to suffer the next time I get inevitably smashed, mess up or fall short of expectations.

I'm happy with my progression. I'm laser focussed in the right things and my game is growing through the nurture. As long as I keep focussing on the skills and the technical concepts rather than the fleeting victories or ego boosts it should keep going for a little while yet before I plateau out.

To be fair: I'm buzzing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. Knee Rider

Session 2: BJJ gi

Class material: lasso hook from spider guard and sweep, open guard triangle set-up with shin to shin hook.

Key notes:

float shin to shin hook and attach via grips to track opponent, keep elbow tight/low on shin hook side sleeve grip, lift laterally and away with hook to open elbow fro knee and break base/posture for triangle set up.

Elbow tight on lasso hook, force step with pull, shin to knee or bait side control and shin to chest.

Rolling 3x 10min rounds.

Rolled with a purple, brown and white.

Purple is a tough, large, technical dude. I wasn't going to sweep him or sub him from guard and every time I opened he almost passed. I elected to play closed guard and just see if I could stifle his passing/opening attempts and keep him frustrated and broken down, which I actually managed. I also found a simple counter to the pass where the opponent feeds you arm underneath your own body and cross grips it under your back, which involves taking a pant leg and extending from the hips/legs to break their control.

Brown belt was an older less athletically gifted guy but very technical. He defended my passing and half guard passing attempts when I managed to advance there. Put me on the defensive with some open guard sweeps to side control from where I managed to survive and stop the mount. Escaped an armbar attempt and defended the collar chokes. Ended getting triangled from guard which I almost postured out of but he still got me.

White belt is much less experienced than me and not a great player. He kep going to open guard and he was easy to pass. Played about with knee riding and trying to combi subs together from various positions. Hit mostly arm triangles, collar chokes, and kimuras. Tried combining hunting for the arm whilst threatening the choke to see what opened up. Worked well.

9. Knee Rider

Session 1: kickboxing

Missed kickboxing last week as my shoulder was acting up. Better now.

Class material:

combos one for one: one two, cover for lead hook and cross, cross, hook. One two three, cover for cross and hook, hook cross.

Padwork: same combos adding in opposite side body kick to the last hand thrown ie one two three,right body kick.

Sparring: hands only.
    2 rounds probs 3mins each roughly.
    First round against newish guy who has pretty good handcspeed and power for someone so new. Worked jab and quarter turn quite well and set up some good shots. Didn't really eat anything other than a cross when I was trying to cut an angle with a slip and dropped my hand.
    Round 2 with tall strong guy who frankly battered me around the gym. To my credit I snapped his head back off the jab a quite a few times of the outside slip but I couldn't string anything together and ate a lot of combos whilst back peddling, overwhelmed. Contact was controlled but hard enough to draw blood and forcme to know that anything more on it and he would have sparked me a good few times. In situations such as these I really need to fight my urge to panic wrestle (in pure standup: especially hands only) as it stops me from using my footwork/trying to use footwork and head movement and I just shell up.

I'm putting a lot of emphasis on my jujitsu at the moment and it's really paying off but I feel very much like my boxing and kickboxing needs some major work. When I have more tools I do better and especially against guys of only a year or so experience and of similar size and build but even then there are some rock hard, frankly frightening individuals that train where I am and I'd very much like to aim for being somewhat comparable within the next few years. I feel I'm some what tentative and my style is carried by footwork and head movement that isn't really developed enough to form the foundation. I'm just gonna keep turning up.

10. Knee Rider

Class material: lapeloplata sweep.

Worked this technique fairly easily in drilling but as a general rule I really dislike lapel based techniques. They are fine for sport BJJ but they are just too context specific for me. I don't think they really have any carry over. Fun but I won't be trying to implement it in rolling as I'm aiming for a more universal game.

Rolling 3x 5min rounds
    Triedva few new things today. Firstly hitting some flowers sweeps when being stacked in closed guard, undercooking leg, controlling opposite side arm and coming to mount or threatening omoplatata in scramble. Gave up north south today by miss placing an arm... Switched to crossface when should have been positioned on other side of opponent's head to prevent shrimp. It was in my less uses side and emphasised the importance of pinning the head between the elbow and hip. Played about with mounted triangles but didn't finish any. Something going wrong in the final finish and can't quite feel it out. Holding position though.

Absolutely knackered and lower left back needs icing... Boo.

11. Knee Rider

Back is absolutely smashed. Lower left side. Had to take day off work and maybe tomorrow. Will be out of training till Monday I imagine.

I'm resting. Applying ice and deep heat. Taking codine and paracetamol. Does anyone have any tips for a better recovery?

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Good nutrition, proper hydration, rest, and time. Beyond that there's nothing (non-pharmacological) which will really help.

As for icing try a really cold shower if your water gets nice and cold. Like so cold your body hates you. Don't even touch the hot water **** and stay in for 5 minutes shivering and all. It'll help get the whole area and better than an ice pack IME.

13. Knee Rider

Thanks Ben. I will drag myself into the shower.

Proper hyrdation and nutrition you say... My girlfriend gets home at 6pm.. Now where IS that butler bell? :evil:

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

0ttiwwop.gif

:whistle:

15. Knee Rider

16. Knee Rider

Session 1: no gi

So, my back is pretty much better and I can do all my usual things like kneel down to admonish children at their eye level, grovel for my girlfriend's forgiveness for not emptying the recycling, empty the recycling and train.

Decided to hit a no Gi class to get back into the swing of things gently.

Class material: side control transition to north south chokes.

Choke one. Over hook head on hip side and arm on other.feed hands together under opponent's body, walk body back, drop hips and squeeze shoulders to apply choke.

Key points: cross face with your ribs, feed arm overhook hand beneath hand on head overbooking arm, Bury head into opponent's armpit to increase angle/pressure.

Choke 2: basically a no Gi varient of a breadcutter type choke from side control described earlier in this log.

Rolling:

Positional rolling from north south. I was happy with my escapes and my top control. I felt fluid and very relaxed. Being mindful of my back and attempting to protect it probably helped me maintain a patient, controlled roll.

It was a good gentle return session and I'm actually feeling very switched on rather than rusty... Which is a relief.

Edit: during my week and a bit away I think I've watched almost every BJJ and striking instructional under the sun (disclaimer all totally legit purchases and no piracy is endorsed by moi). Might do a few short reviews to help anyone who is looking to invest in some material.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  17. Knee Rider

Class material: tripod sweep to sickel/tomahawk sweep combination.

Basic open guard sweep combo, but an effective one. If you don't know it then have a Google as its worth knowing as a foundational sweep combo.

Rolling 3 x 5mins rounds.

Working on a new side control tactic from a rickson Gracie blackbelt which involves having the hips counterinuitively high. I actually thought it looked too risky at first but having studied it and taking it slightly on faith (it's a Rickson black belt) I decided to give it a go. I had a lot of success but you have to be very careful of being bridged off due to the high hips. The positive is that you can get ridiculous pressure.

I'm a bit too tired to explain with words so I will try find a clip when I get to my computer.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is it Henry akins?

19. Knee Rider

Yes it is!

20. Knee Rider