Knee Rider's uncreatively titled training log: 100% tedium guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knee Rider, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Nice to things are moving in the right direction, and that you are not only recognising your own 'hiccups', but are also allowing yourself to address them. On that not, and as you said, the fact that you only haf less experienced/skilled partners to work with, was probably just what you needed at the moment.

Travess

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Been pretty busy, rundown and had a few late stays at work this week so no kickboxing.

I've been doing weights a few nights just to work my shoulder chest and back for endurance. High rep light weight super sets.

I'm stretching every day and working my adductors and abductors using some dynamic stretches I found on that there YouTubes.

I'll be sparring this weekend. I can't wait. I just want to spar hard all day at the moment.

axelb and Travess like this.
  3. Knee Rider

Took myself down to sparring today. The rust seems to be falling off and I felt more comfortable.

Managing to check kicks and land back with my hands, timing the checks waaaaaay better. Landing my cross over the lead hand after switching and quarter stepping on the jab. Also landing switch kick more.

My last round was an absolute beating from one of the coaches. I'd raised the contact with him and he was returning in kind and we took it up from there. He pressured a lot and I spend the remainder of the round defending hands and shins and eating some tasty body shots (one of which dropped me for a few secs). All smiles during and afterwards but I have a welt in my left leg and big bruise on my right instep. I absolutely loved it as some of the combinations he was firing off on me were a joy to watch. I think I landed a few jabs, uppercuts, one body shot and a few inside leg kicks between getting utterly smashed.

I wish we could of gone for some more rounds but open mat ended there. I'm going to see if I get get some in with them on tuesday.

Dead_pool, Morik, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  4. Knee Rider

Pancakes and Nutella: nuff said.

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Nutella? :Thumbs down:

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes!! I also inhaled with Nutella :D

Also, with jam, lemon and sugar, bananas, blueberries and ice cream. Yum.

Knee Rider and Travess like this.
  7. Knee Rider

I'll pretend I never heard this ;)

Travess likes this.
  8. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I really tried to like Nutella, but I just can't.

9. Knee Rider

Don't be too hard on yourself ;)

10. Knee Rider

Went down to the gym to work the bags and try and get some sparring in.

Worked my teep X 100 each leg

Looking to get a good hip extension through the push and to work on placing leg out almost fully extended before engaging muscles to kick rather than tucking/chambering like a front kick. Starting to feel better, more stable and stronger. Timing against an heavy bag as it moves in is helping my confidence in throwing it without getting steamrollered or pinging a toe.

Worked my shins on the bag x 100 each leg.

Did 4 X 3 minutes rounds on the aqua bag for my hands. Straights, jabs, hooks, uppercuts in various combinations.

Pulled on of the coaches aside for a few rounds of sparring.

Got absolutely destroyed again. More mat time needed.

The guy is really good at pressuring and countering off your responses: so I find either A) we exchange a bit then something gets through and opens me up to a constant barrage of blows which I can't defend, move out if or counter until I get dropped or B) I go in the offensive, land some stuff then get countered and steam rolled through pressure till I get dropped just like option A).

In some ways it's disheartening but these rounds with this coach are by far my most enjoyable. I genuinely find I learn more and enjoy it more than with some of the other students who can't bring it in this way. I'm hoping it'll force me to elevate my game over time and just forge me into a better striker.

Had a little chat at the end about what I'm doing that's working and some adjustments I could make to fix a few holes. Overall I think it's going to be time in, feeling based improvement that will help me and simply developing my eyes through sparring more.

axelb, Morik and Travess like this.
  11. Knee Rider

Rib has been giving me a few problems since Tuesday's kicking so been taking it steady the rest of this week. Add it to the list of ongoing bodily niggles.

In my own time I've been working on some shadow work and footwork/movement/stance orientated stuff.

Been focusing on length in my punches and covering ground behind the long lead hook and the cross to set up powerful kicks to exposed legs, bodies and heads.

I've also been working on my level change to both bait as a precursor to striking and as a means to shot after strikes. My offensive wrestling usually centres on the clinch but I'm looking to develop my shot. I'm getting a nice strong drop which is well balanced and straight backed I just need to work on hiding my intention and judging the distance to establish a strong penetration step.

I'm also playing with my hand and head positioning/movement.

Probably get some footage up over the week to show what I'm doing, get correction and monitor myself with.

Oh yeah. Also been doing some high volume dumbells work and bodyweight stuff for endurance. Just a bit due to rib.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  12. axelb

Oh no the rib again :( that must be frustrating!

13. Knee Rider

Yeah it's a bit of a downer. Not massively painful just a bit sore. I don't think it had healed 100% yet so probably shouldn't have been hard sparring with it.

axelb likes this.
  14. Knee Rider

Beast from the east has put a stop to basically everything civilization has to offer up here so no gym this week as not open... Also no work! Woopie!

Just training at home:

Bodyweight exercises - pressups, Hindu squats, planks.

Dumbells super sets for shoulders, back, chest.

Stretching active and passive.

Shadow boxing.

Going to put up some footage of bagwork progression on tuesday.

axelb likes this.
  15. Knee Rider

Did some training today.

Kickboxing:

Padwork session on Thai pads.

Stayed at the end to spar and to... ROLL -for the first time in about 4000 years!

So my head movement was absolutely stunning today.

Seriously though. One of the primary things I take away from sparring always is that my boxing needs work. I land kicks all the time. I check kicks and land back. I catch kicks and sweep or land back. Aside from slipping the odd jab, rolling the occasional hook and shelling I usually get tagged with 70-80% of what opponent throws hands-wise and land about 10% of my own against semi competent opponents.

Everyone comments on the devestating nature of my low kicking though (and I'm only going 50-70% on them) so that's something positive.

Rolling was fun. I rolled pretty light with a guy who has a few years BJJ behind him but hasn't rolled in a while too. Got out in some dangerous positions but fought out of them. Got a nice long time on top but fell into a triangle during a scramble/transition and wasn't able to hide the arm after gaining posture. I tapped after he got the arm across and I could feel my posture faltering and knew I wasn't going to be able to push for an escape as I was toasted. We probs did a 15min round! He and I also had just done a 7min standup spar too.

Hopefully get some rolling in and some more sparring with the other guys too in the week. The rolling was absolutely great fun and I realised how much is missed it... It was also a reminder that skill is a depreciable commodity!

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  16. Knee Rider

Training tonight but no sparring after class and nobody free to film me flailing on the bag.

Some great drills tonight focusing on rolling and circling off after kicks and punches to establish a new angle against a counter puncher. Some kick only sparring a bit of give and take and some focus on throwing the right straight off a checked kick and setting up the right knee from an inside low kick (a personal fav).

axelb likes this.
  17. Knee Rider

Just got back from an hrs sparring and though I'd update here... Slightly sidetracked by the hilarious shinaniggens in the flat earth thread.

My boxing was waaaaaay better today.

I tried to make a conscious effort to move away from reactive head movement (bad habit which I once got rid of and has been creeping back) towards a proactive positioning system where I am making small adjustments and switching between where I want my head as I strike and where I want my head immediately before and after. I also tried to make use of covering and walking forward and slamming shots over the top as soon as I felt contact on my gloves. My defensive footwork helped in circling off and in short retreats and advances to sort of pendulum in and out of fire.

I had three or four hard rounds with the coach and found I took a lot less damage and landed more doing this. Some of which was their suggestion (firing back on defensive contact) so really pleased to have recieved that advice.

Some new sparring partners who were a bit gun-shy started today so some light rounds where I focussed timing my teep lightly, footwork and just checking and covering.

Pleasing session.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Knee Rider

1hr open mat sparring.

Great session today. Packed mat with a lot of heavy, experienced people and some newer faces. Good mix.

I'm really happy with my performance at the moment. I feel like all these tough rounds I've been getting in have really helped elevate my striking and I feel 1000 times more composed under fire. I feel like my 'eyes' are developing and my movement feels more relaxed, balanced and natural.

My rounds with my coach which are usually pretty one sided affairs felt a lot better today as well in that I was able to weather the combinations better and either fire back or move out. I felt way more comfortable with the punishment and although I ate a lot I gave out a lot too. Most importantly for me I was able to think extremely clearly while under relentless fire for probably the first time in my entire martial arts career and it's given me a massive confidence boost.

Personal highlights for me were putting an extremeley experienced, muscular and visually intimidating partner flat on his ****, scoring a nice takedown to gnp from knee on belly from a kick catch against my coach, slotting in some tidy knees from the clinch and landing my hook cleanly at least twice in every round.

I'm feeling really bolstered and motivated in my training today. Funnily it's come at a time when I've decided to relent a little in terms of the mental energy I sink into training and to expand my musicianship... Could be related.

Xue Sheng and axelb like this.
  19. axelb

Great to read this :) I love it when it comes together on a day like that! :cool:

Knee Rider likes this.
  20. Knee Rider

Been pretty slack updating here. Only going to do so when I have something to share or record I think.

2hrs of sparring today.

Things I noticed today:

My covering is improving. I'm consistently avoiding damage by covering and moving now, to the extent I'm very rarely caught clean with hands. I'm also counter kicking well when people step off to hook.

My conditioning is poor and it's hurting my workrate. I need to get consitent running and bodyweight conditioning in around training now it's getting lighter at night.

Overall happy with today, but I've been slacking off training this week (on holiday and been lazing) and I felt a bit like my combinations and footwork hand taken a drop and I felt lazy and a bit sluggish.

Travess, Jaydub and axelb like this.