Knee Problems

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Developing, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Developing

Developing Valued Member

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on remedies for knee injuries besides the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, elevation), heating pads and stretching. I am also familiar with taking glucosamine supplements as a herbal remedy. I know this is a traditional healing section so I thought there might be some individuals here with other means of treatment.

Just to clue you in on what type of injury I am talking about I'll describe. The first knee I hurt some time last year, I was throwing kicks in the air and I think I might have torn something due to too much snap on the kick. It has hurt off and on but has gradually gotten a little better but is still not 100%. The next knee was my good one but now its worse than the other. About a week ago I was sparring and got caught with a solid side kick to the knee which buckled me over. I iced it down that evening and it felt fine. Then on monday I did a 2 mile run and I felt a sharp pain in the so-called good leg. Now I am at a point where it hurts to even bend it let alone walk on it.
    This is increasingly becoming a problem that I thought I could just train through and block it out by pretending it wasn't there but I see now that was probably a little stupid. Any advice on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

See a doctor. No, really. See a doctor. I had similiar problems from about the time I was 22. Finally, at a seminar, my left knee just gave up and no amount of RICE was helping. I finally went to the Doc who said I had torn the meniscus. Surgery was scheduled and you know what? It wasn't torn. Seems there was a (healthy yet abnormal) growth of cartiledge growing in between the joint, forcing my femur and tibia apart. That was causing all my pain. So, see a doctor because younever really know what's going on under the surface until a professional has looked at it.

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Yep, see the doc. It might not be anything, or you might have torn your ACL or another tendon. It is better to know what you are dealing with before you start treating it.
    And for the love of God, man, get off that knee! Even if it isn't anything serious, it won't heal until you stop stressing it.

4. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Thanks guys I think the doctor was the obvious choice and I finally saw one. I also tore my meniscus in one knee Kurohana. I also have damaged ligaments in the other knee and have two injured quadriceps. The doctor said I had tremendous abs (gotta love that training regiment :D) and if I didn't these injuries would have caused me to have a bad back. He drained fluid in one knee and performed light lazer therapy on the other. The effects of his work were almost instaneous. Don't get me wrong there was no miracle they still hurt but the level of pain has gone down tremendously. The knee where I was kicked caused excruiating pain whenever I bended it even very slightly. The other knee could be bended but I could feel it giving as I wallked like it was going to give out. In any event both knees are now bendable without pain up to a point and the one knee that felt like it was going to give out only hurts, but it doesn't feel like its going to give out anymore.
    So I think I'm on the way to a long recovery and I'm glad. I think being in my twenties is a little early to be developing problems walking.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

good thing you saw a doc. that happens alot, the fluid draining. i had a friend who was heavy into Judo and he had bad knees by genetics, then he twisted the crap out of it at the club one day, so they started injecting his knees with saline or something of that nature and now thier perfect, doctors have lots of answers when it comes to knee problems.

6. Developing

Developing Valued Member