Knee Problems

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Bgajdor1, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Bgajdor1

Bgajdor1 Valued Member

Because Taekwondo is a sport and martial art that emphasizes jumping and strong legs, knee problems can be fairly common.

I've had a recent bout of patellar tendonitis (Jumper's Knee) that's lasted about a year now, and I'm still having trouble rehabbing it.

If anyone else wants to share which injuries they've had while performing TKD, knee problems or otherwise. And how they overcame the problem and cured themselves. That'd be great.

Feel free to share.

2. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Hehe, I felt down while doing a dolio chagui(the floor was a bit wet because of sweating) and I felt over my left shoulder, I felt how my arm came out and in(the muscles pulled it back in immediately when I moved). Didn't hurt at first, I could move it perfectly, but that night began to hurt(I suppose due to the swelling, even though I had it in Ice for hours). I went to the doctor, he told me I should rest it to avoid further problems... I had to do rehab afterwards. I never came back to TKD.

Me quitting had nothing to do with the martial art itself. The way we trained was competition forward(WTF), and I usually do what I'm asked for, until I faint :p. I rather be technique than sportive and so I started searching for my martial art. I came up with that after thinking over what had happened. Now I know how to break fall and for the time being I hadn't got any other injury since then.

What I learnt from that injury was to think it twice before going to a doctor. Or at least ask for a second opinion. I was far worst after spending weeks without moving the arm that the days after, I'm sure that if I had keep moving the arm all would have gone OK.

Anyhow, good luck with your injury! Looking back now, mine really made me stronger.

3. Passenger32

Passenger32 Valued Member

I injured lateral meniscus on left knee.

It happened after 5 years of extensive Taekwondo training, but before that I trained breakdance for 4 years and gymnastics and football as a child, so I can't tell for sure it happened because of Taekwondo..

Operated it before three months, now I even don't know I am operated. I perform deadlifts, all kind of kicks, and sprinting.

4. Bgajdor1

Bgajdor1 Valued Member

I am thinking surgery might be a way to go if it comes to that. But I have also heard that patellar tendonitis doesn't have a good track record with surgery.

My injury came on from cross training in Taekwondo and excessive running (Sprints, agility drills, fast miles, etc). I was running for an hour once, and noticed my right knee had a dull ache 15 minutes into the run. I shrugged it off and pushed through. And since then, my knee has had a dull ache and irritating sensation that hasn't passed for a year.

It doesn't hurt badly, at all. Just an annoying, nagging pain that can flare up sometimes.