Knee poping

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bayuc, Jun 29, 2022.

1. bayuc

bayuc New Member

This is something that has been stopping me from doing squats of any kind. Whenever I bend my knees past 70 or so degrees during the squat, weighted or unweighted, my knee "pops." The general area where this happens is the back, outside of my knee, I really can't think of a good way to describe it. This isn't the sort of poping you get when you crack your knuckles, but it feels more like a tendon is sliding over one of the bones on the back of my knee. It isn't really painful, but more annoying then you can imagine. The only way that I can stop the "popping" is by turing my foot out almost perpendicular to my other foot.

Should I just ignore it and work through it, or continue not doing any squats and try and find an alternative?

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Speaking as one who has had many knee issues over the years. See a doctor, preferably an orthopedic doctor

Kemposhot and axelb like this.
  3. L'Aquila

L'Aquila New Member

Don't ignore it - get it seen to by a GP. They will probably send you for a scan of some kind, perhaps an MRI, and then you'll have some idea of what's going on. I ignored my own knee issues for years; then when I eventually found myself talking to an orthopedic surgeon, he suggested the inevitable knee replacement I would have to have could've been avoided with some early intervention and more appropriate training practice.

cheers
    L

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

See a doctor!
    It could be one of many things. Certainly don't ignore it and try to carry on.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

See.
    A.
    Doctor.

I hope it's nothing and you're back training soon :)

axelb likes this.