Knee on Belly Training?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Talisker, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Talisker

Talisker New Member

I was wondering if anyone experienced in this can offer some advice on strengthening yourself up so this does not hurt so much.

Anytime someone does even a minor knee on belly/knee on ribage I am in pain for days/weeks afterwards. I don't really notice this happen with other people so I am thinking there maybe something they are doing to mean they can better brush this off?

Would push ups be the thing to do, or is there anything better?

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'd suggest seeing a medical professional it shouldn't hurt for days after unless something is wrong sceletal or muscular system.

Planks, med ball drops, and just practising the position should help if there aren't any real issues

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Barring/in addition to medical issues as icefield says, there might be a bit of a technique thing here as well. You should be constantly working to turn your hips either towards or away from the pressure and destabilise the top player's base, if you just lie there flat on your back and eat the pressure it's going to cause some pain.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is this from rolling or drilling, are they driving the knee in using grips or just surfing the position?

Shin across the diaphragm or just the knee into the solar plexus?

I find moving mainly from the hips, and not trying to lead with your shoulders and twist your hips afterwards too much, helps.

But yea, it sucks, if your caught you can either give up the mount or the back or even the arm, but get really to tap quickly!

5. Talisker

Talisker New Member

No not from Rolling, light drilling, and you can see they are going very light with it too. And its if it touches any part of the rib cage (side or front), which given the size of the knee it invariably does touch some part of it. It just causes ribcage pain for days/weeks afterwards

I just feel like I have a very fragile ribcage. Which given when you watch boxing fights clearly is not normal so was hoping if there was a way to strengthen the area to mean no pain or just make it so pain doesn't bother you.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Light drilling to build up your tolerance will help.

Doing it in a thick gi may take the edge off too.

We used to drill the old side to side knee on belly regularly as a warm up, and I think that made me very used to it.

Don't worry it will come, it just needs a little time.