Knee injury following Muay Thai class

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Conure, May 9, 2015.

1. Conure

Conure New Member

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Muay Thai (I've done 6 classes so far) and at the last one I practiced high (head level) kicks for the first time. We also did some light sparring.

Anyway, at some point during the kicks or sparring, I have managed to injure my knee and it's pretty swollen. Strangely it didn't hurt at all and I had no idea anything was wrong until 24 hours after the class. It now hurts to bend it so I've tried to keep it pretty straight.

I'm pretty gutted as it means I've missed a class today, but was wondering...Is it sensible to go back in a few days (if it still aches) to practice punching bag work and sitting out the leg exercises, or is this just asking for further injury?

Is poor technique in beginners a common factor in knee injuries, or just something I need to get used to?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It could be a number of different things that have caused your injury. If you're ok and comfortable walking about on it then just work some hands until it's better.

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Like UC said it could be a whole bunch of things. Rest up and see how you feel - if it hurts during training, stop and get better (or limit the stress you put on the injury during training). Speak to your coach about your injury when you go back so they know to look out for you and maybe advise on how to not make it worse.

In my opinion it should NOT be commonplace to be getting injuries in class: muscular soreness and (minor) bruising can be expected from a physical combat activity, but actual injuries and joint problems are, in my book, a sign of poor technique and/our being pushed too far too soon, both of which are probably your coach's fault... Unless you're not doing what your coach says!

4. Devley

Devley New Member

If it hurts don't do it. If it is a soft tissue injury, you don't want to aggravate it further. Get some cold compression on it to get the swelling down and see how you feel after a few days of rest. If the pain persists. Get a sports medicine doctor to check it out to know what you are dealing with.