Knee Injuries

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Geordie Boy, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi all,

About 5-6 years ago i suposedly tore the anterior cruciate ligament playing rugby. I went through rehab, but since then it has never been right - and affects my martial arts to this day (the stability of my knees when kicking etc) However lately it seems to be getting worse - popping out with no reason, to the point where i was just running across the road yesterday and it popped out. Its excruiciating pain, until i can get it back in. And then the pain usually lasts a few days. Only the pain is at the front of the knee- not the back. I was told once that operations make a knee weaker - but to be honest , i don't see how it can make it worse. Have any of you had bad knee injuries? Do you think i should go for an op?

Cheers

Geordie

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

get off the net, man n see the doc... if u r confused change ur doc and go wat ur heart says.
    wat u r experincing here might be different that what others did...
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Southern Mantis

Southern Mantis New Member

I would agree - see your doctor. The ACL is probably the most important ligament in the knee and is therefore vital to the functioning of the knee. It sounds as if your knee is very unstable and the constant dislocations will only weaken other ligaments but also damage your cartiledge. I dislocated mine once in my MA class, luckily it has healed without any problems (apart from the occaisional twinge). I was very frustrated when I was put in a cast for 6 weeks than another 4 of rehab as I wanted to carry on training. But believe me, it is better to be patient as you will come back much stronger.

good luck!

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I had a knee surgery 6 months ago and my knee is by no means weaker. sometimes i wonder how it is possible to walk, jog, train without pain because my knee had been killing me for a while. i saw 4 doctors before i decided who to trust and i also got 4 different diagnoses. don't settle with one. take my word for it.

what you need is:

1. a great doctor who will give you the right diagnosis and then give you all options and tell you what would be the best thing to do.

2. if you have surgery, afterwards you'll need a great therapist to take care of your knee. it's nothing you can joke around with. your doctor can probably recommend one.

3. rehabilitation in a fitness center/gym and of course someone qualified to make your programs.

hope everything works well for you. good luck.

5. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Thanks Guys I appreciate your advice.

Ill get it seen to.

Cheers
    Geordie