Kipping Assisted Pull Ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freeform, May 25, 2008.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEweROlAfKE"]YouTube[/ame]

I thought I'd ask some of you fitness Guru's about these. I've always done overhand pull ups with slow form, trying to kill any momentum at the bottom and going to full extension to make it harder.

As a plateau buster, I'd been playing with negatives, using a 'cheat' pull and lowering slowly through about 30 seconds.

I came across these and they look like the pull ups I've always avoided doing, so I thought I'd ask you guys what your thoughts on them are.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm no fitness guru... but I'll take a stab.

First off I loved his explanation. Great explanation. Second... these are as easily as hard in terms of coordination and everything else as is a proper pull up/chin up. I think these have a big advantage in some ways over the standard palms away pull up. They are more integrated over the whole body to be honest. They require the CNS to get everything going in the right order to do them successfully.

There is a risk with these of ripping a shoulder socket royal if you're not able to decelerate yourself. But there's a risk with anything.

I do pull ups as part of my workout anyhow... and I can do them with good form and I usually get out several sets of 10... with a one minute break in between... and I try to get that in several times a day in the hopes of increasing the total number of pull ups I can do... I'm starting to see increases recently. I'm shooting for 25 continuous pull ups. But when I've tried to work these in... I found them to be much tougher to pull off. Almost like the Tabatta squat of pull ups.... if you need a bad analogy. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Might be good for building coordination for the clean and jerk or snatch like he said but it's taking away from the back workout by using all momentum to go up. I guess it comes down to what you're using the exercise for.

4. slipthejab

Yeah I think you're spot on here. It all comes down to what you're trying to accomplish. I think with most sports the focus is on whole body movement so I can see how the kipping type of pull up might be advantageous. It's a much more dynamic movement requiring you to engage a greater kinetic chain.

Not that there's anything wrong with a good old fashioned pull up by any means. But I'd proffer that the kipping pull up has probably a more direct carryover to sports/combat activities than does a standard pull up. But that's sort of just a guesstimate.

In some ways both movements are a proxy for reality... rarely do we pull ourselves up in either fashion. I can't think of too many situations where you'd ever have to kip up... and in reality there aren't that many situations where you'd ever have to do a strict pull up. Even in rock climbing and scrambling there is generally a heavy element of legs used with any upward movement. In fact the novice rock climber generally tries to go up routes as if they were nothing more than a progression of pull ups... he soon finds out this is not the best way to go about it... and that it's got to be a mixture of upper body and lower body movements in coordination to achieve any real level of finesse at climbing.

At any rate... that may or may not be entirely accurate. I still think the kipping pull up is by far the harder of the two to pull off... even with some lift achieved by momentum. Not that I think this is going to really scare off lots of people from doing pull ups... it's not as if there are legions of people doing them now. It's most often the most dust covered piece of gear in a gym. :D

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I actually did use something similar once in a san shou bout. A guy tried to throw me and I grabbed his arm and since he was worried about getting pulled down with me all he did was stiffen up. I pulled myself back up without ever touching the ground with a motion almost exactly like that, but it's not really a technique I would go looking to use.

6. Yost

Yost Valued Member

I think the easiest and simplest way to describe them is to draw a parallel to other exercises.

You can do a shoulder press, but for more power you can do a jerk.
    You can do a pull up, but for more power you can do a kipping pull up.

Generally, more muscles involved = more power. And I can tell you from experience that you can still "feel" a kipping pull up in the areas where you feel a strict pull up.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

So the general concensus is 'different' not 'wrong' then.

Haven't actually tried them, think I'll give it a go and see if it helps with my plateau.

Cheers fellas ;)

8. slipthejab

Yeah man... definitely not 'wrong'... you may get some funny looks at the gym when doing them... but easy enough to put paid to that when you suggest your critics then step up to the bar and give it a go. Chances are you won't find many takers. :D

You could think of it like this... the kipping pull up is the standard pull up what the plyometric push up is the standard push up. Sort of dynamic movement versus a controlled and more static type of movement.*

*and yes I realize that the terms static and movement don't work very well together. :D

9. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I just tried them and they're interesting. One of the biggest differences is that the frequency of the pull ups is completely dictated to you. I certainly wasn't used to doing pull ups at that pace.

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Back when I was in the Marines, we were allowed to Kip when doing pull ups.

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

[necromacy, I know!!]

I've just started doing kipping pull ups because I can only do one or two pull ups (palms facing away) when I'm a dead weight (can do plenty more when chinning). They seem easier to me, just to get started more than anything. Reckon that's ok while I'm building the muscle/endurance to do more normal pull ups?