kinda taking a poll here, but how many push ups can you do in one set?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fighting13, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Just gave it my all and got to 37 before my form started breaking down, after that I got another 11 ugly ones that werent full ROM.

2. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

Ive probably managed 10 at the most, but then I very rarely use them in my routine, unless I fancy a change :)

3. Jack_Brando

Jack_Brando New Member

Since i train day in and day out, ill do about 200 at a time, and thats it for the day man

4. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

vid pleae :D

5. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Same, I need to see a kid my age doing 200 pushups in one set.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And all 200 had better be in good form too ;)

I recall when I was 14/15 I thought I could do 90 push ups in a minute. What I was doing, was bobbing my head up and down really fast ;)

7. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Ay,the pecking the corn method. :p

8. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

i used to be able to do about 150 in a row but this was coz I did pushups everyday and kept pushing myself but now I can only do about 100 as I've stopped doing pushups so much

9. DaveSlater

DaveSlater Valued Member

i use those pushup bars to do that but still try and get my face down to the floor as it's a harder push back up to the top

5 sets of 10 every other day is my routine - along with the same in squats sit-ups and chin ups on rotation although the latter kills me completely i can only manage about 15 total of them - that really annoys me back when i was a youth and climbing or caving every other weekend i'd laugh at that number as i was starting to get to one armers - no exercise for over a decade really does cripple you

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  10. kittykun

kittykun New Member

Wow there was a time when all i did was pushups and nothing else, so i could do around 92 max. I got 100 once but i cheated on the lasy 8. Now i do more of all over work so i dont spend all my attention on pushups, but i can still bust out around 50, depending how i feel.

11. Real Deal

Real Deal New Member

100 fist push ups in a minute. I will not say those are all the way down and up, not that mazohism sp? The amplitude should be looked at I would say as a pronounced or distinct. 10 inch would be enough we're working on speed.

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Hmmm, I don't know about that. Me, with my measly 40-odd pushups, could probably do about 100 in a minute if I were to only use a 10-inch range of motion.

I'm not a fan of pushups personally, but I reckon if you're going to do them then at least do them properly.

13. Real Deal

Real Deal New Member

Well I once saw that guy who holds the reckord 120 one armed push ups in a minute. From what I seen was a 3 inch amplitude of upper body the rep was counted if en elbow on the down phase would be parallel to the floor, all he did were the twitches of an upper body, if count in trap area. nevertheless this guy is a reckord holder 120 one armed push ups in minute. very much comes down to technique I guess, body barely moves, with the arm doing pretty much visible amplitude. Well I can do 50 fist push ups in 30 with down to the deadbottom and upping till you lock out in elbows, but I guess it's very pointless, I rather go very fast somwwhere in the middle ramge of motion then applying all the force throughout the all amplitude hurting the joints.
    No you will not do 100 fist push ups in a min even in 10 inch amplitude.
    I am 6 1 1/2 tall 190 pound guy if it's a point.

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Are you training to beat the world record for one arm pressups? If not use the full ROM. You only cheat yourself by limiting ROM to type a higher number on the internet.

For what it's worth I can make 50 full ROM pressups, I'm an inch shorter and 20 lbs heavier.

15. Real Deal

Real Deal New Member

I challenge you. I'll post a video 50 full ROM fist push ups in 30 secs eaisily then you ok?

16. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Nice, an internet challenge. FWIW cosmicfish personally saw me at 40 a while back. I haven't really got any inclination to record myself for your pleasure, but if you want to post a vid for critique feel free to.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  17. Real Deal

Real Deal New Member

An the a an internet what? I'll youtube 100 squats in a minute and 50 in 30 full ROM as full as I'll fly in the sky off the floor fist push ups only in case you would have had a chance to critique me? I'll do it the way it is, but my the drive will not be you!ps no starting wars but I heard one guy doing 183 somewhat fist push ups in a minute I said post up the video of that feat instead I was banned.

18. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Real Deal, no offense but I couldn't understand much of your last post. I appreciate that English isn't your first language, but I'd be grateful if you could proof-read your posts before you click "Submit".

Thanks. :)

19. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i think i can only do about 35. but when i was in good shape 50 wasn't a problem.

20. dbowles

dbowles New Member

I agree with coma. You are getting no benefit from trying to do that many with no real ROM. Do 100 with full ROM in a minute and I'd be impressed.

I don't really do pushups, but I decided to see how many I could do. I squeezed out 40 really good ones, and 10 ugly ones. But I'm only counting the first 40.