kinda taking a poll here, but how many push ups can you do in one set?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fighting13, Jun 8, 2007.

1. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

i noticed that alot of the kids(15 yrs old) in my school cant get past 25 or so push ups without giving out so i was wondering how many push ups can you do?

serious answers would be nice, thnx

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Over 50 but I don't feel the need to set some sort of Personal Best.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

50 plus, except marines push ups where I struggle to do 50 and i have big triceps and am a big guy.

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

2 proper ones

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Liar! Knees on the ground don't qualify as pushups Lily! ;) :D

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I've never really bothered counting. I know I got well over 60 with the Army, because I remember several people finishing long before most of us had finished our sets...60 being the minimum.

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

My best isn't very good(I have poor strength endurance), I think it was something like 70 pushups or so.

8. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I hope this isn't going to turn into a "mine's bigger than yours" macho boasting thread :p

I've always been lousy at pushups (no arm strength at all back at school). As they are a major part of the warmup / fitness element of class I have seen an improvement over the past 4 years.

I can now be sure of reaching 10 comfortably, and continuing on I struggle at 13, 14, 15 - but by that time we are up and jogging again.

My problem is if our instructor gets into a push-up session it goes:

10 normal pushups. Jog.
    20 wide-arm pushups. Jog.
    30 triangle pushups. Jog.
    40 Chinese pushups. Jog.
    50 pump pushups (wierd ones where you lock your hands under your chest and do a 3-4 inch pumping actions). I cannot do these, and laugh myself silly trying

... it's just not going to happen. If I actually stayed on the floor to do the full count that he gave I'd still be there NOW!

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

About 50 or something full push ups. I don't really care that much about this number so I haven't tried for ages to max out. They are full chest to the ground press ups though, not the garbage ones you see on competitions on TV!

10. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

if anyone is looking for a way to add 'pain' to their push ups then look for Pavel Tsatsoline's The Naked Warrior. Proper one-arm push-ups. I can only think about doing one before breaking out in a sweat! It's a good book, there's a dvd too. Go for it Comrades!

When I was training in the gym regularly I could do a lot but it was boring so never found an upper limit.

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I think my best is something like 77 with elbows tucked in (not sticking out)

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Haven't tested for ages, but back when I was doing kung fu we did a test to see how many we could manage in 60 seconds. I managed 59. These days, despite being a hell of a lot stronger than I was back then, I suspect the number would be considerably less. I'm about 30 lbs heavier and my endurance has taken a nosedive since quitting MA.

I might actually try this out soon, just for the hell of it. I'll post up the results here if I do.

13. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

62 full push ups in a minute. That was when I was competing with against the other students at my Kung Fu club. Competition is known to make you push harder :p

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I just made 52, but I really haven't tried this for probably well over two years, plus most of my training these days is strength orientated instead. [/EXCUSES]

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

just done 41 but then i dont do them that much, might keep trying.

16. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

I did 50 last time I had a go at them but I only use them for warm-ups for upper body days, and I mix them up with hindu push ups.

How many behind the back clapping pushups can you do? I've never tried but I'm sure even one would result in a broken nose. Something to train for.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I'm working my way down to one-armers at the moment. I'm using a stairs progression, once I can do 5x5 easily with good form on one stair I move down to the next. It's getting harder but it's definitely working. That book is not bad actually, especially for beginners who don't know much about tension and how to prepare for exercises properly.

18. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I can only do 3-4 strict one armers (pretty killer ab exercise especially if you weigh more than a buck fifty).

19. Jeffrey Smith

Jeffrey Smith New Member

My record after five straight years of training was 183 in 3 minutes. I couldn't move my arms very well for two days after that, btw.

The reason I actually had to do that many was because we were doing a charity for cancer, and our donations came from how many pushups we could do in three minutes, and how many kicks we could do in 90 seconds. The rate that we got was based on our sponsors. (IE, door to door, like students selling chocolate.)

There was actually someone who beat me, XD; A 12 year old who managed 212 pushups. Talk about crazy.

20. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I can't do one handed. I always get off-balance and smack my face on the floor. I haven't tried to see as many as I can but I would guess 35+. Lol, not very good. :eek: