Kind of irritated with my kickboxing gym...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by 04CE, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 04CE

04CE New Member

I've done 4 lessons so far in the "entry level" grade class. lessons 1-2 were fundamentals, and I was "signed off" on the very basics. Lesson 3 I attended a regular class. Aside from having low endurance from being out of shape, I don't think I did badly at all. Yet here's lesson 4, and they put me in the brand-newbie group again. Am I just that bad, or does that sound normal? I can't imagine why I'm paying good money to learn the same 4 punches I learned the first time. - And I don't mean technique improving (A different instructor every time, and they all "changed" things about the way I was doing it that I learned from the last one.) - just "Oh hi, this is a JAB! This is a CROSS!"

Talking to the instructors after class privately is almost impossible - they don't answer the phone, and class ends at 6:14:59 and another class starts at 6:15:00.

2. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Firstly, are you in a rush to get somewhere with kickboxing. While it may seem frustrating at times, taking your time to develop good technique is important. The reason that each instructor corrects a different aspect of your punch is that is what was wrong with theirs. They have been corrected on that aspect, and in turn correct the same thing with yours. It is very rare to find an instructor that can analyse a technique and improve it without having gone through the same thing themselves.

Secondly, how many punches do you need in kick boxing. I do karate where we use a wide range of open and close fist techniques, but as far as i'm aware for kick boxing, jab, cross, u/c, and hook are about it.

Thirdly, practice at home. Class time is a time where you are able to learn new techniques and ask questions of your instructor. You should be going home and going over what you have learnt, as often as you can. During this time you will have a lot of questions which you can ask your instructor during your lesson.

Lastly, have fun. It's only been four lessons, other people in your club would have forgotten more then you have learned. Don't expect to fly through the ranks as a prodigy, because chances are your not. Your instructors are not looking for your skill level, they are looking for your motivation and commitment. And it won't hurt asking your instructors when you can advance to the next class, just do it in a way that won't make you sound like a prat (ie, "When do you think I'll be ready for the next class?").

3. 04CE

04CE New Member

I dont want to 'fly through the ranks.' I couldn't care less... I want to just join the rest of the beginners rather than being put with the first timers over and over. Just spinning my wheels, and I don't know why. I have to say, I see some more mistakes made by others than made by me, that are actually in the regular beginner class. The second instructor I had was the coowner and one of the fighters, he said I was "good to go" on the very basics. After that, 1 regular class, then the next one I was in with the first timers again.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. Warcow

Warcow Valued Member

How big are you classes? what's a typical class like? what does the "regular beginners" do?

From what you've said, sounds like the instructors are taking it pretty slow..
    While mastering the basics is important, it can be frustrating to pay good money and learn nothing but the basics.

5. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

There's not much you can do, except keep trying your best. Has anyone started after you and moved into the beginners class. At our club we try to start people at the same level together. Rather than teaching 10 different things to 10 different people, we try to teach to a class. This way the instructor can look for similar trends and correct, rather then changing their mindset for each person they look at.

If I were your, I would hold out for a couple of months. If you still aren't happy with the level of instruction talk to your instructor about it. They cannot help you if they don't know what's wrong. You have always got the choice of going somewhere else, but talk to your instructor/s first.

6. 04CE

04CE New Member

Classes range from about 8-12 people. There are a lot of people "trying it out" lately.

What happens, is you show up, and they split the class into First Timers and Beginners. I've never seen another person TWICE in the first timer section, but now I've been in it 3 times.

Beginner class... They teach basic punches, kicks, and some basic conditioning. The ONE regular class I attended was light no-kick sparring (which I wasn't bad at, aside from having no endurance.) and chasing a pad down the mat, and some basic bag work. That's pretty much the gist of the class. Once they have felt you've got a good grip on... let's see, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, parry, wheel kick, front kick, and side kick, then you have outgrown the beginner class.

It's frustrating because there really isn't an opportunity to talk to the instructor. Class starts a few minutes late so he's not around beforehand, and it ends abruptly and he starts teaching the intermediate class.

I feel like an 8 year old in Kindergarten. Honestly, it's embarrasing.

I'm going to give it 1 more try. Monday is my last day of paid this month (no contract.) If he tries to stick me with the first timers again, I'm going to press him for a discussion. I see people a LOT sloppier than me out on the mat.

7. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

That is a bit disturbing that your instructors do not allow time for discussion. Being held back classes whilst frustrating is understandable in a lot of schools, however, an instructor that doesn't promote open conversions and discussions is unforgiveable. Is your frustration more with being kept in the first timer class, or is it with not being able to talk to your instructors ablout why? Also, how open where they when you first arrived?

8. 04CE

04CE New Member

The first day I was there, the owner greeted me and offered me a free second lesson.

It is frustrating to be stuck in the introduction class. Especially after attending a regular class, which was highly enjoyable. I would say it is more frustrating that they put me back in there with no explanation. But I won't let them just shuffle me over there again. If they feel after many attempts I can't get the most basic of basics down and join a beginner class, then obviously kickboxing is not something I can do. I doubt this is the case though, since I was just peachy with Taekwondo (back when I was in shape.) Then again, maybe I am really super terrible. When my heart rate goes up, my brain gets fuzzy like I'm drunk, so maybe I'm misremembering how terrible I am. Haha!

9. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

If you really enjoyed the training in the beginner class, and felt it was something you could get used to, I'd stick it out. You can't stay in that class for ever (I hope), and whatever you are learning isn't useless. Try put the question to your instructor in class, they can't ignore you there.

With you being fuzzy when you start to push your self, that's just becuase your out of shape. What is happening is your muscles are pulling all the blood and oxygen away from your brain because they need it. Try holding your breath, breathe out then in and hold again. repeat this a few times and it will have a similar effect. Everything appears brighter and out of focus, and you feel disorientated (have had much practice with this as I spearfish and free dive).

Anyway long story short, work on cardio and muscular endurance. Start jogging, some heavy bagwork, and endurance weight training (high reps low weight). You need to train you muscles to be more effecient with their oxygen, and your lungs and heart to get it there quicker.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I bounce this word around frequently but your gym sounds like a McDojo. Of course, this is just an observation from an outsider's point of view.

What is the duration of your class? In my opinion, if you're paying £4 or £5 for a 45 minute class then you're getting ripped off. As a general rule of thumb you should be looking at £3.50 to £4 for a 1.5 to 2 hour class. This is not a comment about the quality of the class, just really about the value for money.

I was in a similar situation when I tried to learn a style of Arnis. Every time I attended class I was given a different instructor (of varying levels of ability, from the very top class down to a guy who was just 2 weeks in front of me -- sounds a bit like passing the buck). The end result was I was totally confused as each instructor had a different teaching style, which is quite normal, but there seemed to be no set guidelines to the curriculum. I was learning the same basic 12 attacks every lesson, but being taught in a dozen different and rather conflicting ways.

I'd say stick it out a few more lessons. If all else fails, look for a different gym or grab yourself a couple of self instructional DVDs and train in your own time once you have a grasp on the fundamentals.

Good luck.

Regards,

Dan

11. That's a bit of a blanket statement, no? Price will always be dependant on a number of factors (namely location) and will vary wildly. Where I am, you'd never find an hour and a halfs training for £3.50 - not a chance. £5-6 tends to be about the going rate for an hour and the cheapest I've seen for a 1½ hour kickboxing class is £6.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My son gets a 3 hour training session for £3:p

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I wouldn't say it's a bit of a blanket statement, just going off what I've experienced in general over the years.

My club charges £4 for a 1.5 hour class (which is sometimes extended to 2 hours at no extra charge). It was £3.50 up until recently.

I tend to find it's the commercial gyms (like JJB) which charge over a fiver for a 45 minute class. I mean, c'mon - what the heck are you going to learn in just 45 minutes? That's barely enough time to get a decent jump rope and heavy bag workout in, never mind sparring.

As for £6 for a 1.5 hour class - sounds like you need to move to a cheaper area!

Regards,

Dan

14. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

i suggest you do yr homework and research all the clubs in your area, using the internet etc. even attend classes at each one to find which best suits you, it’s the only way u can be sure.
    obviously a good club will regularly be winning competitions and would have produced class fighters in the past. forget about cost its not such an important factor unless u have money issues. its worth paying a couple of quid more for good training rather than saving money but getting crap training!

15. 04CE

04CE New Member

This club does pump out some pretty successful fighters.

Cost is $100/month. (no contract) Which breaks out to about 8 45 minute classes per month. So $12.50 USD per 45 minutes or so. I'm not so much worried about the cost.

If the class was much longer than 45 minutes, I'd probably have an aneurysm.

16. dle1232003

dle1232003 Valued Member

bruce lee once said

i fear not the person who has practiced thousand kicks
    but the person who has practices one kick a thousand times

plus i know myself it can be annoying what your taught etc

but with thai boxing, its about persistance, i have seen so many people come and go over the past 2 years of my training,

and i have seen many people come to the advance lessons, and it's quite clear they aren't ment to be there, sometimes my instructor will let them train depending on his schedule of what we are doing, others he will refuse they take part

you just need to keep on going, and your instructors will take notice

17. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

Love that quote.

I agree the persistance is important to success in any MA, but I think a lot of it comes down to motivation and self discipline. We all find it easy to train when we feel motivated, you get that buzz and everything seems to fall into place. But when things start to fall apart, and other things start to feel more important than training self discipline comes in to play.

You feel it those nights when you think I don't feel to well, or I have got to work on this project. It is that thing saying "your going to regret this tomorrow" and "you have to go, you haven't come this far so that you can sit on your a** and watch TV". Funny thing is though, when I do pick myself up, and push myself to go to training, I end up have some of the best sessions.

18. dle1232003

dle1232003 Valued Member

i've had my times when i've been on my way to the gym and thought to myself why am i doing this? why do i bother

but i genuinely love it, through all the good and the bad, and the pain, haha

sometimes you get fustrated, with who you train with, with what your been taught, with your trainers [mines a stand up guy though if he reads this, hehe]

you just push youself threw it, and as newy085 said

least you not sat on your backside!!!

19. UNarmed

UNarmed Valued Member

Honestly i wouldn't care less about being stuck with the beginners for 4 lessons lol there is no way u could master any technique in that amount of time anyway. The whole point is to repeat techniques over and over until in sparring and such they come naturally. Sigh dude you really really arnt getting the point, Bruce Lee said " i would be more scared of a man that has done one kick a thousand times than i would be of a man that knows a thousand kicks"( haha the wording is probably a bit off but i hope you get the idea). U could spend 1000 lessons training round house kicks or jabs and it wouldn't be a waste.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

From a kinesiological standpoint, you must execute a technique correctly 5,000 times for it to become second-nature.