‘Killing Jews is Worship’ posters will soon appear on NYC subways and buses

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by greg1075, Apr 24, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/22/killing-jews-is-worship-posters-will-soon-appear-on-nyc-subways-and-buses/

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that woman is horrible. she's got a long history of bigotry.

look, i'm not a believer, and i abhor violence. but this woman is painting 1.5 billion people with a very, very broad brush.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

How does this not get classed as hate-speech?

4. Giovanni

because people can say whatever they want about muslims in the west and no one really cares. imagine if i took out bus ads equating the israeli government with the apartheid-era south african government. do you think those ads would ever be allowed to be on the side of a bus in nyc? aside from free speech issue, which my ad would certainly qualify as. would the metropolitan transit agency put those ads on the side of a bus going through borough park, prospect park, crown point? i wouldn't think so.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Well, that's the test isn't it? To get an anti-apartheid group to take out such an advert and see if the legal response is the same.

6. Giovanni

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

thats stirring up tensions.
    great way to alienate every islamic person in NY!

can no one else see the patterns of how domestic radicalisation works and starts with alienation and ghetto-isation?
    we've seen it in france and the UK several times over the past year.

8. holyheadjch

Ghettoisation of muslims in the UK? Do tell.

I actually think this ad campaign will backfire. Although I can't be sure because I don't know what their goals are.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

That's a chicken-or-the-egg debate.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  10. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Here's how.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#Supreme_Court_case_law

American citizens have freedom of speech. I would suspect that both cases cited in this thread here would fall under First Amendment protection. I'm no lawyer, but I would think that the case in Seattle that Giovanni pointed out would be overturned were it appealed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  11. holyheadjch

I take it that the MTA is a government operated organisation? Maybe the one in Seattle is privately operated?

12. Giovanni

i believe both the mta and king country metro are run by taxpayer funds.

13. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

That I don't know.

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's how I used to think then I worked in Blackburn for years. Areas get taken over, it's choice rather than enforced.

15. holyheadjch

And it happens with any demographic group - people prefer to live near people like them, it's an evolutionary hangup. Thomas Schelling modelled the segregation tendencies of populations decades ago. It's completely wrong to consider largely muslim districts within cities to be 'ghettos', though.

16. holyheadjch

What do we think their goals are with this poster campaign? Are they trying to incite violence?

17. Moi

The British are great at it :)

18. Moi

Incite violence or raise awareness of a wrong? Time will tell

19. Giovanni

best i can tell, she's out to stop the creeping islamization of america. and of course, israel is always right.

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

why do people prefer to live near people like them?
    if you can understand the answer then you'll understand what i was getting at with my original post

and also if we can agree the suburbs of france are ghettos then you can see the similarities with places like bradford.