Killer Instinct

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by melb, Mar 25, 2011.

1. melb

melb Banned Banned

And since I started a friendly one, just in keeping with yin n yang heres another one..how much does a killer instinct play in your game plan? I dont know about anyone else but I cant always turn it on at will..sometimes yes, sometimes no. I may walk past a big guy with tatts one day who looks at me like Im a bit of dog poo on his shoes and I'll think if you try anything I'll feign fear and then rip your throat out..other times I just think I hope he doesnt notice me..not fear but just a feeling of Im not ready..any thoughts? And for those in the know, has Infrazael been banned for good? Kinda think this forum needs him

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No it certainly does not.

3. melb

melb Banned Banned

why is that? Im not a guy who agreed with much that he said..what did he do?.Im guessing you wont tell me and no worries if you cant/wont..but on the off chance you can then please fill me in

4. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Banned user list says he is banned till 10th April for a homophobic personal attack.

5. melb

melb Banned Banned

Oh ok..what did he get banned for? (if you can tell me). What do you think about my post Simon?
    Sorry, my internet is playing up..please disregard the last post.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I only have time to browse during the day as I am at work.

I can go into more details once I get home.

7. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

If you look towards the top right of your screen, just below your log out button, there should be a "banned user list" button. In there, it says, as SpikeD pointed out, that Infrazael was banned for a "Homophobic personal attack and a massive list of previous." That's not a good enough description?

8. melb

melb Banned Banned

Sorry Willsy..old hates die hard hey?
    Now forgetting Infrazael for a moment (Im regretting mentioning him at all)..does anyone have any thoughts about my post?

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yeah, you're spending way too much time worrying about stuff like that. I used to be like that back when I was training Wing Chun mainly because the school kind of promoted that "you're training to fight for your life and the lives of your loved ones" attitude.

Once I switched to submission grappling (former High School wrestler) I became much more interested in improving my game for rolling at school. (I'm way to old to be competing)

After that I didn't really concern my self with all the "what if" scenarios because I realized that what I was learning worked against other people who were well trained and trying their best to beat me at school.

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Frankly intensity alone doesn't do anything but get you picked or slipped and knocked out, or worse, ducked or clinched and lifted into a big throw.

Technical ability in motion and physical conditioning trumps intensity every time. Now you will find people who move at a fast pace and high intensity, but the ability to tactically navigate conflict and superior conditioning are what allows this to happen without feeding the opponent a massive attack, NOT simply greater aggression.

I'm halfway taking a nap when I spar or roll until something presents itself, then I'll throw a shot or sweep/submission attempt and the exchange begins. If things stagnate I'll chop a leg or throw for a clinch or crossface or whatever the situation allows to harass and irritate the opponent.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I think you might want to define your idea of what killer instinct is.

For me it is rare to see anyone with killer instinct. Very few have it. People with killer instinct are able to take advantage of any perceived weakness, intuitively. In fact, using your example about ripping the throat out... a person with true killer instinct would not think about feigning fear or ripping the throat out... If the enemy's throat was open, they would rip it out WITHOUT THOUGHT! I would say that a person with killer instinct like this would spend time thinking about NOT killing, because to kill where there is weakness is natural to them. One fellow I trained with had killer instinct, he would just go for the kill, but in training he was able to stop himself. You could tell just by looking at him, however, that in his mind, he already killed you. He was able to control his body not to kill, but in his mind, you were already dead.

Conversely, those without killer instinct, often have to think about hurting someone else... this is naturally much slower in action and really, you can be a great technical fighter, but without killer instinct, it is very unlikely you will be a champion, for example. Those without killer instinct have to train a lot harder to act intuitively to take out an enemy. There are many ways to achieve this but it is hard work and does not equate to the level of true killer instinct... just gets you as close as you can.

So in your game plan, seeing how you probably don't have true killer instinct like 98% of the population (or more), you can train your mind to not think of an enemy as a real living person but as a target or blip on the radar... therefore, by dehumanizing them, you are less likely to be bogged down by internal conflict because you don't really want to hurt anyone. You also train hard to build into muscle memory the applications that are practical for your situation. In this manner, you will act intuitively (without thought) and your mind and body will be effective.

Save your mind to determine important things such as how far you want to go, assessing the environment, and making other important decisions... don't let your mind get bogged down with the details of how you are going to attack or what if... PLAN before anything happens, then act intuitively.

IMHO.

12. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I love the little martial arts fairies you see who go on about "training for da street" and "XYZ martial art has rules!" all teh while never having been in a real fight their entire lives but still thinking they've got a "killer instinct". makes me lol.

13. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Don't pay any attention to RebelWaldo. This is the exact same type of BS I got all the time at the WC school.

Think about it. How many people do you know who have had to fight for their lives? Unless you live someplace really dangerous I willing to bet the count is going to be darn close to zero.

Most people once they get past their early 20's and settle down are usually never involved in anything that goes beyond harsh language.

If you want to be hard find yourself a good combative sports school and learn how to fight people who train hard and know how to fight and fight because they enjoy it.

Once you've been there awhile I'm willing to bet you'll give up on the killer instinct and being hard fantasies and just train because you enjoy it and to get better.

It's a lot more healthy that way.

14. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

That's not killer instinct... that's being consumed by fear driven, fantasy.

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can I be the big tattooed bloke with a neck to die for? Can I? Can I?

16. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I have the neck to die for, I wear a 21 inch collar on my shirt and its not fat. However I don't have any tats and I'm not what you would call svelte.

I do have a big bushy fu manchu mustache though. Too bad its all gray.

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

why is what I said BS. I said only a few have killer instinct. That leaves like 98% of all martial artist that don't have killer instinct.

So what are you saying then... that killer instinct doesn't exist, that all you need to do is train and you will be as good as anyone else?

That's BS to me.

18. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I'd say 99.99% of martial artists don't have a killer instinct. Because if someone has a killer instinct then they're usually in prison sooner rather than later and there isn't much chance to practice your eye jabs in prison without some big butch guy called sally ready to beat you senseless and turn you into a pillow biter.

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Actually I was commenting on the paranoia in your post. About planing to be able to kill and disable and to be prepared for anything.

Most people don't need to live like that and the one's that do already do. Not sure about where your from.

Most self defense in the US consists of not going to places where bad things happen, go out with other people when you go out, pay attention to your surroundings and don't act like a jerk.

Nope, no killer instinct required.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Ah sorry my misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to be paranoid. I was basing it on my fight experiences and a lot of soul searching afterwords.

When I fought in Muay Thai, there were times when I would get the opponent good but I had to mentally tell myself to finish them off. This caused a bit of hesitation, sometimes I'd lose a second or so. My body didn't automatically pull the trigger and this really messed me up. Like I said I did a lot of soul searching. The opponent seemed so helpless to me.

I found out I don't have true killer instinct. I had to work hard to get around this. I had to find ways to desensitive myself and I had to become a very technical fighter. I can fake it well, when I get someone good, it is almost like an accident now because I'm already tranistioning to what comes next.

Guys I've met with what I call true killer instinct, who are not in prision because they learned to control it, somehow sense when someone is hurt and their body reacts instinctively. They don't have to think about pulling the trigger, it is already pulled. They have to consciously control themselves to stop from physically finishing off the enemy, IME.

I see this on video of fights, many don't have that true killer instinct and you can tell that they might be able to fake it well, but they still don't have it naturally. I see champions fight and many of them do have killer instinct, they are on the hurt guy before you even know the guy is hurt and they finish them, there is no hesitation.

That's why I know I will never be a champion, I can fake it well, but against someone with true killer instinct, because somehow my technical fighting is more mechanical, I'm always going to be playing catch up. IMHO.

I believe many others are like me and can an learn a thing or two, as well as I'm always trying to learn.