Kihon Happo

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by UrbanDaoist, Sep 28, 2011.

1. UrbanDaoist

UrbanDaoist Valued Member

I have a question regarding Kihon Happo. As I´m sure you know, it is a collection of about 8 tecniques, or more correctly, all directions basics.

Ichimonji, Hicho and Jumonji no kamae and omote, ura, musa, musho and oni kudaki.

So I found this text on the internet.

"Even in the scrolls of the Gyokko-Ryu, the lineage where the "concept" of the kihon happo came from, the 8 techniques are NOT 8 techniques but 16 - AND with the exception of the ichimonji, jumonji, and hicho examples for using those particular kamae, the techniques are NOT the same as those being taught."

Now, Gyokko Ryu is know for counting left and right side of the same tecnique, as two tecniques. And Oni kudaki offcause, not being from Gyokko Ryu.

Can anyone elaborate on this? What tecniques is he talking about?

NINPO IK KAN

2. garth

garth Valued Member

Maybe what you found on the internet is wrong

Do you have asource for this?

3. garth

garth Valued Member

Ahh Jeff Miller

4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Well if you think about it, kihon is a basic. There are 8 basics but more than 8. Each has a number of variations. If you look at the basic locks and throws, depending on what your teacher knows, he might teach many variations of them. Think about juppo sessho, and you get 10 variations. Of course the koshi sanpo also have their variations, so there you go. Many more than 8, even 16.

btw-it's ganseki.

5. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Apparently the torite portion in Hatsumi Sensei's Gyokko transmission books it lists just the numbers and not the actual names of the techniques. For the purpose of listing the contents I will list the techniques so that you can understand.

1 omote gyaku
    2 left side - omote gyaku
    3 omote gyaku against a punch
    4 left side - omote gyaku against a punch
    5 ura gyaku then change to omote gyaku
    6 left side - ura gyaku then change to omote gyaku
    7 musha dori or gōja dori
    8 left side - musha dori or gōja dori
    9 ganseki nage (I've heard several different techniques: jigoku dori or muso dori, but I was taught that it was ganseki nage)
    10 left side - ganseki nage

As for ichimonji, hichō, and jūmonji, the are done left and right also.

10+6=16 (Not including the variations) :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. UrbanDaoist

UrbanDaoist Valued Member

Thank you for the answers...