Kids Teaching

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Octavian_Caesar

Octavian_Caesar Valued Member

LOL

When? I wont take it as an insult. I'm just curious.

2. Octavian_Caesar

I won't go into it. Some of the comments by Coronavirus are ridiculous. I think it shows a serious lack of strength in character.

As for, "They realize they still have room to grow as a human being. Many older people do not seem to acknowledge this fact" - this is ridiculous also. there's a limit to the amount you can learn in a particular day. Given this, the brightest amongst us will always be the oldest. Not that every older fellow is as such, just saying you can't match some of them when you're young.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yes. Of course. Respecting people for their behaviour rather than their age shows a terrible weakness of character. (sarcasm)

You make the assumption that growing as a person is a linear path; it's not. Life experience is only one part of maturity. Not all older people have gained lessons from that life experience. Yes, some so, and they deserve respect for that. Others are the same douchebags they were before that life experience.

Your assertion is, in any case, irrelevant. If someone knows more than you about something and is more experienced than you, you should defer to them in that subject, not refuse to learn anything because they're younger than you.

But no, you can't answer my points, so you're going to continue farting ad hominem at me, I'm sure. Grow a neocortex please.

4. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Coronavirus does have a point. I know many older people who are still as stunned as turnips. =]

as for age and experience, in my martial art and association you are deemed capable of teaching someone by yourself and having your own dojo if you want when you become a Sandan. That doesn't happen until you're older. The little guy (the little shodan) will approximately be in his late 30's when he achieves that.

There is also a Yondan in his 50's at our dojo. He still isnt interested in having his own school.

I see both Corona's and Octavian's viewpoints on age. Why can't we just say, They both have a point. and agree on that. :p

btw there is one older person who I'll never respect regardless of age or experience - Evil Sandan. I've got more maturity, knowledge and respect for others in one little finger. Arrogant SOB. He said once he disregards anything my father or therapists or anyone says because 'they don't have a PhD like i do' or because 'they havent travelled throughout europe like i have' BS. You don't need a PhD to know about a lot of stuff or to be a person worth listening to and so on. And he abused me. That's why I broke up with the mofo.

There is another sandan at my dojo who i also don't like or respect at all because he treats me like I am dirt and acts like i dont exist or matter. Won't even so much as say osu.

I don't have respect for such people regardless of age.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

Well to state the obvious there are several things being debated here - the age of the person teaching, but also how good this Ruby planson girl is.

Personally, as a teacher I've met some (but not enough!) exceptional 15 year olds, who are more than capable to teach something to another person. The massive grey area is what they are teaching and the importance of it.

In my club, if i was a bit short one lesson and needed some beginners "looked after" whilst maybe i had to go through something important with someone, I am more than happy to let my 2 17yr old students take charge (together!). The confidence i have in someone teaching my students would be entirely based on their skill, and their personality, not their age. Some very good high grade adults are shocking teachers with no flair for it.

I've had a look at a few videos of the girl. Firstly, she was one big 9yr old! and, that routine was just copied from Chloe Bruce...(2005 winner forms one)
    For her to offer seminars so young is not acceptable. i base this mostly on her talents - being extremely flexible, kicking her feet around in a cool fashion, and (i am untrained so wouldn't know) twirling a sword around. Sorry if i offend anyone, that's just what it looks like. it's pretty cool and would obviously take some skill and practise to get that good. As a performer, she just looks like another Chloe Bruce, just younger and not quite there yet. If she can confidently take a room full of people through some stuff i guess i would be impressed, but they would all have to be beginners. I could probably learn a thing or two from her, but I would rather get someone more experienced, simply because i would have more trust in them to make sure no one gets hurt etc...but then if she can prove herself then let her!

And as for Corona's views, i completely agree. how on earth is age better than experience?! Every human being is different, and whether there are old or young makes no difference to how much they should be respected. I will respect an older person any day just because they have knowledge, experience and have been through more than me. but if that person did nothing but sit around all day and generally providing and experiencing nothing, i don't see how they would deserve more repect than an 8 year old who has battled through cancer, yet kept everyone around her positive and caring more about others than herself...

I do hate it when older people who patronise me because i am young - they have no idea what i have been through in my life, who are they to judge?
    The same goes for older people who think they know it all because of their age, and are so closed minded that they won't even accept a younger person might be right (shock horror!).
    A true wise person is one that sees that...it was funny - I got annoyed at one of my parents because of one incident like this, and my grandparent then came over and explained the situation as i did above...it was nice to know my grandparent has gotten even wiser through the years!

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Sadly a lot of older people seem to be like that.

Ironically I think it shows a lack of the maturity they insist so hard that they have and I don't. If you are genuinely wise, you consider someone's points and judge them on merit, not shoot them down because they were voiced by someone younger than you.

7. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

look, to anyone worried about the age of their instructor, let me advise you go get taught by Ashida Kim. He's 60 years old and thus must have a vast wealth of useful information.

http://www.ashidakim.com/

8. puma

puma Valued Member

Surely, by law, Rubie Planson should not be teaching? That was the point to the thread. No qualifications, no insurance, no child protection, etc. Can't be allowed.

9. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

Puma, you seem to keep ignoring that there are loopholes within the law. Now for the last time (literally) she can have an adult who signs the papers and takes responsibility for her. Please stop listening for the answer you want and take the correct answer.

10. puma

puma Valued Member

Only if the adult is an instructor who is insured and has the relevant qualifications. And this is probably why people like this get away with it - because people make excuses for them. She shouldn't even be considering teaching at her age. Who gave her the idea in the first place? If she is teaching, and someone has an accident, they are in big trouble. No insurance company will insure any adult who is going to let her teach. And when you get insurance, you have to prove your credentials, obvioulsy.

11. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

so they give some qualification or they give her qualifications. As long as they have someone qualified they'll be happy enough to take your money. All she needs to do is flash a few titles and some youtube videos.

And it wouldn't be any different if the adult was teaching themselves.

12. puma

puma Valued Member

Who's "they"? Insurance companies won't insure some little girl, or her dady or mummy or whoever it is letting her teach. Especially when swords are involved. Even if they took their money, they certainly wouldn't pay out on an incident were a school girl has been instructing. If you lie on your insurance it becomes invalid, just as it would on car insurance. There is no way around it. She can't teach.

Who is this "someone" you say about? This is the point - she is teaching HER own seminars it seems. And her titles are meaningless and her videos prove exactly why she shouldn't be teaching.

13. Octavian_Caesar

I think you're reffering to the differences between a teacher and a Master.

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I like how little shodan is. I had a class tonight and he took the class with help from a brown belt because sensei couldnt come. He did well and after class I told him so. I learn a lot from him. His response was 'well i dont knowwhats correct for yellow belt level and when i teach i get stuff wrong and I've a lot to learn and im still pretty inexperienced....' I smiled cause he's so humble and realistic about it. I told him 'You're still young yet and karate is lifelong you'll haveplenty of time to become the good teacher I know you want to be because you enjoy teaching so much. You're doing pretty good, I learn a lot from you''

I like that. Young people in their teens and twenties like the little shodan who can teach with help from their senseis and who are willing and eager to get help even from those ranked less than them who are doing well but still recognize that because of youth and rank and inexperience still have a lot to learn. I thought it was also cool he was eager to take help from the brown belt though he is a lower rank.

Wish all younger people could be like this. :)

15. liero

liero Valued Member

I laughed audibly at this sentence.

Thankyou

16. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

"They" is the adult who takes responsibility for Rubie. Any adult can take responsibility and the incident, if one should occur, will be handled (insurance-wise) as if the adult was teaching. I have several family members and friends who work in insurance and I think you're underestimating them. Have you noticed how many fans Ruby has? Just because we, trained martial artists, can criticize her doesn't mean that your average person on the street will. Those titles will be enough qualification for an insurance company. They'll cover her. They'll try to pull out if anything happens for sure, but legally she's considered covered and so she's safe.

17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I think you're overlooking the fact that words vary widely in emphasis and meaning across different contexts and communities. Master can mean a lot of different things.

Regardless, there's no point applying the semantics of the two titles to the issue. Corona's simply talking about the criteria upon which one judges advice and the one providing it. You know this. You're the only one talking about teachers and masters.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Insurance companies will insure anyone for the right price. Sure, an adult may need to sign the papers with regards to finances but the insurance could still be in her name. No different from a parent arranging car insurance for their child.

Why lie when she could just have valid insurance with a hefty (compared to normal for teaching) premium?

19. puma

puma Valued Member

I'm sorry, but insurance companies will not insure you because you have a few titles. Like I said, CRB checks and the like come into it. Maybe someone has signed for her, but if there is a problem and they find out a kid is running the class, they will not help. The only insurance she can get is on a normal licence, if she has one, and that isn't insurance to teach.

Why lie? I don't understand what you mean. I am sure she hasn't gone to a comapny and said, "Hey, I'm still at school, but I want you to insure me and my class where we will be throwing pretend swords about." So therefore if, and it's a big "if", she has got someone to sign her insurance for her, she must be leading the insurance company that someone else is running the class. This to me is lying.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

CRB checks don't necessarily come into it - they're for people who may be alone with children. She could also have a CRB check, there's no reason why not.

As to the insurance you're still not getting it. The insurance can apply to her even if someone else has signed the financial side, and has signed the contractual side acting as her representative. Your idea would leave child actors or performers unable to claim any rights over their work, which is patently false.

No. She must be telling the insurance company that someone else will vouch for her to the degree that they are willing to sign the documents on her behalf. She can still be covered by the insurance easily.

Look at it this way - if I'm a learner driver then I can be added to another person's insurance policy in my own right. They will have to agree to this, and sign appropriate forms, but the coverage applies to both me and to them. There is no misleading involved, I am simply covered under someone else's policy - if I do something wrong then I'll have to pay the excess, and may lose my insurance, but it is still an insurance policy applying to me even though it is in their name.

Bear in mind there are insurance companies who will insure absolutely anything. You can get phones covered, cigars, cars, racehorses, houses, windows, precious heirlooms, martial arts instruction, your life and so on. These companies will look at the risks involved and provide a bespoke policy covering the eventualities that they believe need to be covered. If one of these companies is approached and asked to insure a child against injuries to students while they are teaching the answer will not be no, it will be to come back with a premium.