Kids Teaching

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Oct 29, 2010.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

What woukld you make of a kid still at school opening a class near you? I posted in the weapons section about a young girl who teaches weapons, particularly it seems, sword. She is 15. I am very much against this, (actually thought it was absolute madness!), but some people think it is okay. What would you Karate guys think of a 15 year old that obviously isn't insured, nor can they possibly have the relevant knowledge and experience, or qualifications, teaching a class in your area?

2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

The youngest little one in our dojo is who I call Dan Squared (because he's a dan named dan) and he got his shodan at 24 or so, but since brown belts can teach and only rarely but sometimes blue belts too, I assume he started teaching at like near age 20. and that's pushing it.

My opinion? I heard about one more kid or teen teacher I would 'kick a puppy' to use Holy's word for it. People with no respect for the MA. almost like McDojoites.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If all the above is true I think it is ridiculous.

I posted on your other thread with positive statements regarding the 15 year old girl, but that because was I saw a documentary on her and was imoressed with her skill. I did say though that if she did teach she should be under supervision from her coach.

4. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

mate , if it strikes you as odd have nothing to do with it. best thing you can possibly do.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i would think 'WTF?' and then ignore it completely

6. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I dont see a problem with a younger probationary shodan (or even a 3rd 2nd or 1st kyu brown) taking noobs, or even low kyu grades, through appropriate kata/techs within the confines of a class that has been seperated to take each level through their specific requirements.
    Thats fine and good teaching experience for the person.

But someone teaching/running a Karate dojo who is younger than years i have trained would make it near impossible for me to take it seriously at all.
    I mean honestly, what could they teach? Kata and some extremely basic bunkai, basics/combo drills etc i suppose thats not out of the question so sure yeah they may be able to do that much to some degree.
    But thats just scratching the surface of Karate, I mean what about sparring? we cant even go there...LOL, its just not possible in my book.

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Why is there the assumption that a younger person can't possibly know what they are doing?

8. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Is this child the only instructor?
    Under tutilage of the cheif instructor, it's a good idea having different instructors as the student follow up the ranks thus allowing the Cheif instructor to be tougher on the more senior students.
    But not on your own, i mean i'm 20, and 1st Kyu and i've only just started teaching whitebelt kata at my Dojo. I find it painfully difficult. i think a teacher needs to know how all the elements of Karate piece together(this starts happening at 1st kyu till about san dan), and have faith that the stuff he's teaching works.

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I doubt she can be insured to teach , that alone is enough.

10. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I have a son who is almost 15 yrs old (13), on occasion i will let him drive my car (with me, out on a backroad I live out in the country)

So, basicaly i know he can control the car and drive it if he had to. Should he start teaching driving lessons?..

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I would think "Oh joy, yet more GKR" then run away.

12. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

In reference to the first paragraph of my post?
    No no, a split up class, if everyone is preparing for an oncoming grading that weekend say, and one of the younger students isnt going to attend the grading then sure, let him/her take some yellows or whites who wont be grading through something, that was my meaning there.
    (as in a 15 or so year old brown or black taking them through a taekyoku or heian shodan for egsample)

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The lack of insurance makes it a no no. Wouldn't want to judge her ability over the net. Kids can start Karate at 4 or 5, so she could have 10 years experience. There are plenty of good instructors with less than that. But the lack of insurance means it wouldn't be an option.

14. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

kindly pay attention to your other thread
    and why do we assume that she "can't possibly have the relevant knowledge and experience, or qualifications, teaching a class"? I've seen some 15 year olds do amazing things and I've seen them teach fine.

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I've met people of 18 and under who were world champions. Should I ignore them when they tell me to do X because after all, they're just kids?

Aside from the insurance thing I think if they have the knowledge and experience I don't really care about age.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Your absolutely correct. I've known kids who knew more than their instructors in terms of form and discipline, yet due to age, weren't taken seriously. So who do you people who are against this think would make the better teacher, some 45 year old third dan or a 15 year old first dan world champion in forms? I'd take the 15 year old who could explain it.

17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Teaching is a different skill set from performing the technical skills in martial arts. Sure that 45 year old 3rd dan might not be a world champion, but what he might have is 20 years teaching experience in and outside of martial arts.

18. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Cor: of course not, just beacause someones a world champion doesn't mean they've got the ability to pass on what they know. they need this before they're world championship abares any weight as a teaching credential.

19. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

i'd get the 15 year old and go train under his Sensei who'd trained him with the superb basics you need to be good at forms.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

How do I know she doesn't have the relevant experience? Because her website states she teaches sword, but she has only had 3 years worth of Kenjutsu lessons. If it's Kenjutsu that is. How many times a week did she train over those 3 years? Don't know, but I'd be surprised if it was more than twice a week. So 52 weeks a year, times 3, 156 possible weeks training. If she trained twice a week and never missed a lesson, which she must have over that period, that is just over 300-odd lessons. Not a lot. I've also seen her videos in which she doesn't look like she has had any MA training at all. She doesn't move like a proper Martial Artist. She doesn't kick properly or anything. So that is why I get the impression she isn't very experienced. I can't understand why it seems she isn't training with someone. It seems by her website that she teaches herself.