kids fighting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nimpy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Hi

My 10 yo daughter had her 1st competative kickboxing fight on Sat, due to the lack of girl competitors, and her size (she is quite tall) she ended up fighting a boy. My daughter has only been doing this about a year and her opponent was a high grade experienced fighter. To be fair she held her own throwing some kicks and trading punched, not really backing off until the boy threw a big roundhouse to the back of her head, this stopped her dead in her tracks, she threw a couple of punches, but the fight was stopped. The boy received a warning for the kick, but my daughter didn't want to continue. Obviously both kids were padded up.

My daughter did go on and fight in her semi contact fight and gave a good account, so I am pleased that she didn't have her confidence completely shattered.

My wife was with us and was watching the fight, she now does not want our daughter entering a continuous fight again, however our daughter does.

What are peoples thoughts on this ?

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm assuming from your account that the roundhouse kick to the back of her head was illegal under the ruleset they were fighting under. That is something which could happen to anyone, boy or girl. I'm guessing that it could be more intimidating for a girl who was having to fight a boy, but that doesn't sound like a very satisfactory situation for her anyway.

In fairness, there are girls who are absolute beasts and would love nothing more than to beat the snot out of boys. Equally, there are boys who are timid and don't relish fighting anyone. But as a general rule it's probably better if kids fight their own gender, at least while they are developing thei rconfidence at sparring.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter didn't let this incident stop her from going on to fight again. I can understand her mother's concern, but I think it should be down to your daughter to decide whether she wants to continue or not.

3. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

She wasn't intimidated fighting a boy, she enjoyed the overall experience. Tes head shots are supposed to be limited to the side and face.

I think the issue was that they were all briefed that kicks to the head must be done with control, and the boy got frustrated and showed a lack of control with both the power and location of the kick.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If the organisers do not match up people equally it can lead to dangerous situations, if the organisers dont do this properly don't support their competitions.

was this full contact? I would be warry of letting any child recieve regular head impact especially at such a young age.

5. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

No, it was light continuous, the kick that was thrown was way beyond the remit given to all the kids, I think frustration and pride got involved.

I did have some reservations about letting her fight but she really wanted to.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wouldn't let my kid compete in any sort of environment unless they really loved doing it. I also woulsbt let my boy/girl fight the opposite gender. That's just me and personal opinion though.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just sounds like a kid who's better lost control. Don't see anyone in particular to blame as far as officials go or in matching her up with a boy. Fault all lies on the boy and maybe his instructor if he wasn't completely sure he'd be able to level things out and have fun rather than obsess over proving he's better.

edit: Although I'm not always going to blame him for that either depending on the exact scenario. I know I've cracked people worse than me before not because they hit me, but because they were taking the **** when they knew I was trying to help them out. It doesn't sound like it applies in your story, but I do remember another thread where someone was saying about how they were dropped by a boxer who he felt had been embarrassed about being shown up, when really it came across as the poster had over compensated for being worse, or got caught up in doing better than they expected because the boxer was letting them, and then haymakered him and complained that the trained dude levelled him in return.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. nimpy

nimpy Valued Member

Chadderz, she does love doing it, it was her idea to compete, she wanted to go onto compete in her semi contact match, although I had my reservations and was straight back into training the following day, full of the joys of spring.

Southpaw, I would post the vid, but I am wary of posting anything to do with kids on the net, she wasn't taking the mick, it was her 1st fight. I really do believe that the boy just got a bit carried away.

She just has to convince her Mum that she should be allowed to fight again, I think that will be a harder fight for her!

9. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Personal opinion is that I won't let my kids do anything involving headshots in a competitive environment. I worry about the effects of concussion, and have little faith in other kids having any sense of control. I'd let them grapple, and I have let my boy (who is 12) do some very light 'sparring' with adults that I trust to move and work with him without trying to beat him (he'd done a fair bit of padwork etc before this).

I'd probably suggest that point is safer than continuous, and also point out that really my opinion is essentially worthless :)

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Absolutely fine mate, I wouldn't ask you to post it anyway. Also fine with believing the lad took the mick. The edit in my post was more of a ramble than anything :)

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Full contact kids fighting is usually no head shots but they can happen accidentally.