Kicks and Tricks

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by TigerAn1, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

Last night my instructor told myself and another student that are kicks suck. Not exactly that language, but that's what he meant. He went on to say that just because we are Hapkido students, that doesn't mean we should neglect kicks. One of the reasons I took up HKD was because it was less theatric than TKD. I'm not a jump, spin, and kick kind of person. Do other HKD students here practice TKD kicks regularly in class? If so, how often, and what kicks? Do you practice the kicks at home, and if so, how often? Do you think kicks are an important part of HKD training, and which kicks in particular? I'm about a year out from Black Belt, and need to close the gaps in my training.

2. Downstroke

Downstroke New Member

For me, kicks are as important in HKD as they are in TKD. It's interesting you use the term "TKD kicks" when refering to the kicks you are required to practice. Did you know there are more kicks in HKD then there are in TKD when you include all the variations that are available. However, this is not surprising considering that element of the art is suposed to come from the same source, teakyon.

Unlike what you are probably refering to "TKD kicks" those practiced specifically in HKD are very practical and not in the least bit flashy. Most HKD schools will require their students to master some of the more challenging arial kicks simply to improve there overall kicking ability, not to use them in actual combat.

There does seem to be a bit of a perception that HKD is an an easier option for those who want to learn a MA & not have to do all the conditioning, stretching, fitness etc, and no doubt there are some instructors out there happy to oblige them, but as far as I'm concerned it is anything but that. HKD is an art that comprehensively covers one of the widest ranges of different techniques including joint locking, throwing, weapons, pressure points, grappling, striking, breaking and kicks! If you are preparing to test for your black belt, you will be tested on all of these (except possibly not weapons, that normally starts after bb), & will be expected to perform them to a high standard.

Incidently, my instructor told me about an incident once where he was talking to a HKD student who criticised him for teaching kicking claiming they were only for sport & didn't work off the mat. Lets just say my instructor gladly disproved his theory, & made every one watching want to start tuning up their bandae dollyo chagis!

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

In my HKD class we practice a lot of kicks and I feel that it is a very inportant part of the HKD that I practice. Now, people will argue that traditional HKD did not have any kicks but I am happy with the HKD I train in. Having said that, you mention TKD kicks. There is actually a difference between HKD kicks and TKD kicks. The lines may have been blurred by so many TKD practicioners teaching HKD but there is a huge difference. Most notably the raising of the knee before extending the kick and spreading and extending the hips when snapping the kick out. There are other differences as well but I can't quite describe them. Better to ask your teacher. They may look sublt differences externally but can make quite a difference to the type of kick executed.

In my personal opinion, kicks for me are very important. Also taking into account the fact that I am 6'4" and kicking is an excellent option to keep an opponent at bay. I practice my kicks at the Dojang, at home, at work.

4. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005