Kicking with the instep vs. the shin

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by jmf552, Oct 21, 2021.

1. jmf552

jmf552 Member

This probably has been discussed before, but I did a search and couldn't find this question exactly. FWIW, I come from a solid Karate' background, but I am now studying Muay Thai, which I really like, although I don't intend to compete.

I do have a curious question though: In my Muay Thai classes and in some Muay Thai books I've consulted, kicking with the instep is considered a big no-no. They say "You will break the bones in your foot" and "Landing with the shin delivers more power."

But, two things:
    • I've see people in MMA get knockouts with instep kicks to the head, and I just watched a video of Muay Thai champ Superbon knocking out Giorgio Petrosyan with an instep kick. Also...
    • I have seen people in MMA break their shins with shin kicks. I have not seen people break their insteps, but I guess it could happen.
    So what are your thoughts on the two techniques? I find the instep more natural, owning to my Karate' background and it has a longer range. But I certainly don't know it all.