Kicking types and dynamics

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by waya, Feb 25, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

The flying roundhouse kick is one I have used but mostly with my rear leg... I picked that up from a TKD instructor before I started in TKD. I didn't pick up alot of kicking in Shotokan, the instructor I was under really was anti kicking for the most part.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I took up shotokan primaraly to improve my kicking, my personal favorites are low level stuff to the knees,thigh, groin and stomach. Although I do like to put the odd roundhouse into the solar plexus.

Thanx

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Sickle Kick

In Lau Gar we have an unusual kick that I haven't seen elsewhere!

It chambers like a normal front kick, only pointing away from the target. The kick strikes outward with the side of the foot, and with the foot in an upward position. Then it returns to the chamber position. A bit like a crescent kick, that changes it's mind halfway through.

Anybody else got something similar?

4. waya

waya Valued Member

not something I have trained but I did something like that on accident once lol it worked though :)

Rob

5. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Andy - was it not also nicknamed 'through the heart kick' as this was it's intended target?

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Our kicks tend to be much more circular, returning naturally into their original chamber at the end of the kick or at least into some similar chamber. We also at no point lock out the knee, so the foot almost always describes some form of circle.

7. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Andy wrote:
    "...an unusual kick that I haven't seen elsewhere!...
    ...A bit like a crescent kick, that changes it's mind halfway through. Anybody else got something similar?..."

Sounds like one that Hapkido also employs. I forget the number (I want to say 12, but that could have been axe kick), it was referred to informally as a 'push' kick.

paul

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Unusual kicks? Lemme see...

Twisting kick (bring the knee up across the body then twist the leg back round in the opposite direction, not as hard as it sounds but weird-looking)
    Heel front kick (normal front kick, but a higher chamber followed by a stamping type motion to the front, aimed at the chest and through)
    Outwards crescent kick (think of a crescent kick, but going the other way and hitting with the outside of the foot instead of the inside)

9. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Wing chun kicks are nice (close and personal)

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What are your views on using kiagi(snap) and kokomi(thrust) kicks. Also what do you all think about the difference in training for competition kicks(using the instep) as opposed to 'real' kicks (ball of the foot). Do you find any change in speed/power?

Thanx