Kickboxing..

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Radiance, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Radiance

Radiance New Member

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have just signed up today.. anyway, I am interesting in learning kickboxing with my sis. Does anyone know where in Winnipeg there is a co-ed (men and women) kickboxing place? because the ones I have found are only for women and that really sucks..

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Hi,

I teach in Winnipeg, we train Mixed Martial Arts and have classes which are modified kickboxing.

This means that we also include takedowns and how to block takedowns in our kickboxing classes.

This makes it more relevant for self-defence or MMA as being taken down is always a possibility and you should no how to avoid that. It also gives more tools to work with and I think it makes it more fun.

e-mail me at ewmaa@shaw.ca if you are interested in coming out to try out a class or have any questions about what we do, if it's not what you are looking for I might be able to help you find something that better suits you.

You can also call me at 661-3275.

3. mykel

mykel New Member

What actually is kickboxing

4. Adam

Adam New Member

Basically, it is boxing with karate kicks and a few tricks developed on their own, all boxing strikes permitted, no elbows, knees or kicks below the belt. I'm currently looking into this style.

5. stump

stump Supersub

There's many styles and rule structures that come under the term kickboxing...from point stop (semi contact) to muay thai. You can't find out much from a class if they call themselves kickboxing without training with them. If you want to know more ask what rules they train for...that should give you an idea of what it is.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Does muay thai count as kickboxing? I thought muay thai counted as muay thai.

7. stump

stump Supersub

yes it's often classed as kickboxing rightly or wrongly...that's why i put it there :)