Kickboxing Weaponry

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Kainn K, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Kainn K

Kainn K New Member

I realize Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai are all great examples of ways to beat some major @** with bare hands. But what kind of weapons could be used by a trained/amateur (kick)boxer? I was thinking Tonfa might be able to be held and used simultaneously, but are there any other weapons? Thank you!

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Well - if the person in question has Muay Thai rather than kickboxing the art of Krabi Krabong would be a natural resource for weapons skills - being a fore runner of Muay Thai.

I have personally found Krabi Krabong to be a great source of weapons training.

3. Ben

Ben New Member

The only one that would fit in with original kickboxing combos are the ninpo bears claws. Anything else would prohibit the use of your hands!

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Yoda...

Actually, I'm not sure that statement about Krabi Krabong being a forerunner to Muay Thai is necessarily accurate. I've been talking with a guy I know who has been researching the actual history/development of the SE Asian fighting arts, and the basic gyst that I'm getting is that Krabi Krabong isn't actually a forerunner of Muay Thai.

If I understand correctly, the arts now called Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong descended from a common ancestor, the Thai battlefield arts. But the two arts separated a long time ago and developed side-by-side, and have now evolved into the arts of Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong.

Understand that their relationship is a very symbiotic one, but neither art is truly the forerunner of the other. Also bear in mind that I'm only beginning to learn and understand this stuff myself. My statements above are OVERLY SIMPLE and don't even begin to scratch the surface regarding the origins and evolution of these arts.

Khun Kao

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

From a Thai Arts perspective.

Awud Thai! (Any weapon Any circumstance)

Fandab! (Knife and Sword Art from Smaller Knives and Daggers to Single and Double Short Handled sabers)

Are the other two Thai Weapons Arts, fit very nicely with the unarmed arts of Muay Thai, Ling Lom etc.

And of course Krabi too.

Kickboxing, sorry not a clue.

6. Jax

Jax New Member

Don't mean to sound obvious but why not just turn what you allready using into a move lethal weapon, knuckle dusters come to mind. or maybe some of them shoes with the knifes will smith has in wild wild west :D