Kickboxing V's TKD

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by julesgrant22, Sep 19, 2005.

1. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

I am currently a Tae Kwon Do student but my University does free Kickboxing. I wouldnt leave Tae Kwon Do but would it be a good idea to do Kickboxing as well?
    My TKD INstructor does do Kickboxing but in another town and if I did try it, I would probably try it through someone I know first.
    Id be grateful for your help!

2. eagelclaw

eagelclaw Valued Member

I think it is a great idea to study kick boxing and do TDK at the same timeā€¦..the two arts by my knowledge are not radically different.
    Plenty of my friends take both of the sports and they seem to enjoy them selves very much, and dont complain of the two clashing.

I which my university did free kick boxing....well thats "the university collage of london" for you.........or maby they do... and iam just lazy fool and not found out yet.... :D

3. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

yeah go for it after all its free!! When you say your instructor does it do you mean teaches or takes part in classes?

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

i do both at my uni. Ive had no problems just give it a go.

5. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

Thanks for your advice.
    I noticed loads of signs last year for Kickboxing and looked into it a bit more.
    At one school, my instructor offers Kickboxing so obviously Id prefer to try it under a familiar face before doing it at uni.
    I need to increase strength and another style could be useful.
    Thanks again and Ill look into t when i return to uni next week for my second year!

6. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I've known people to have converted from TKD to kickboxing, and they found the changeover quite easy. Just takes a bit of time to get the hands going as good as the legs.

Be careful though, you may find you love KB so much that you don't want to carry on with TKD ;)

Have a check that it's kickboxing and not boxercise though. When I was in uni they did free "kickboxing" as part of the sport-card scheme, and when asked if they did any sparring/fighting their response was something like "why would we want to do that?!"

7. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

no chance of me giving up Tae Kwon Do - I love it more than my boyfriend!.....ooops did that slip out? Lol.
    Seriously though, I dont think Id ever change as Im very settled and I love practising at home all on my own! Im kind of hooked on it - I was hooked even before I went over to TAGB style.
    As for uni - it is proper Kickboxing, I talked to one of my mates about it as there was literally hundreds of posters.....I keep forgetting Im based on a sports campus (well, considering Im a sport science student.....).
    Its just something for me to do between lectures, as I get bored sitting around and figured if Im there, i might as well do something useful rather than avoid the security guards when Im practising TKD in the car park!

8. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Heya eagleclaw, I'm going to be putting UCL down on my UCAS form, so I was wondering what MA they have going on there? Thanks in advance.

9. eagelclaw

eagelclaw Valued Member

sure mate.....ill find out when i go to my next lecture :)

10. Another Muay Thai Guy

Thanks alot. :) I didn't really get an opportunity to investigate that sort of thing at the open day, I had to find out about the less important stuff like what course I'm going to do. :D

11. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

if its free take it, i would. i just started taking aerobic kickboxing and have a lot of fun with it, the legs should be pretty easy for you, but the upper body might give you trouble at 1st. i do aerobic kickboxing cuz it helps with my whole body workout and also with stamina and balance that i need to improve on. esp balance

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  12. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

Training in kickboxing and TKD shouldn't be a problem.. bit like learning tennis and badminton... you just need to remember which one you're doing at the time ;)

Cambridge University Kickboxing Society train in Savate (french kickboxing), and we have lots of members who have trained in other styles!
    :cool:

13. braniff_888

braniff_888 New Member

Yea, you should they are similar and there is not much difference, although you do punch a lot more in KB. It's also not that hard to do its simply enough leraning but hard to put into practise.

14. Kweli

Kweli New Member

I say try them both but maybe a new teacher is better?

Different teachers give you different experiences

15. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

There are some UCL students training at a Savate Club in London.
    Contacts on http://www.savate.org

16. Screwi

Screwi New Member

Ah yes, that would be me :cool:

check us out at http://www.londonsavate.co.uk

tho my course will be finished next year, will probably still be training there

UCL offers wing chun, shorinji kempo, karate, judo, and muay thai.

tried the wing chun and the muay thai and the wing chun; muay thai class was very very busy, seemed alright though. the wing chun was alright, but i trained in a different club in picadilly which i preferred.

out of the lot, i've got to say i preferred jame's savate class. quick to start in, fun, and a good work out.

try them all; stick with what you enjoy.

either way, happy training!

17. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

18. Another Muay Thai Guy

Cool, thanks for that info. :) Heh, one of the guys who competes for GBSF is a mate of my Dad's, really nice guy.

19. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

thanks for posting the London Savate link Screwi

:D

20. Screwi

Screwi New Member

Hey that's cool, both me and savateuse are on the GBSF team, so's James the instructor at London Savate :D it sure is a small world

Who's your dad's mate?

Oh and forgot to say earlier, we've had guys crossing over from TKD before, and it seems a good compliment; after all, both styles just LOVE to kick.

few things tho: don't expect to axe kick or front snap kick too much, it just aint savate (not to worry tho, you'll always remember how to snap kick someone in the nuts when you really need it :p )
    also if you've never done leg kicks before, you're in for a rude awakening...
    ... and keep your guard up!

cheers,

dom