Kickboxing vs Muay Thai: The same but different

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Dave76, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

An old training partner of mine posted this on the Facebook this week. I thought it was a pretty good article but was wondering how accurate the analysis of various styles are? I learned a traditional style of Muay Thai and their description seems pretty good of that. I don't have much knowledge of the other styles.
    I really wish they would have talked more about Chinese kickboxing too. Would have made the article even more interesting.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

YES! Thank you. I feel more than a little silly! That is what I get for posting before I've had my coffee!

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I really liked this article. I didn't know that the Dutch style MT used that chopping low kick. I have been taught that kick in passing in the kickboxing I learned at the Kung Fu school. It was sort presented as "here is something that you can do, but isn't very nice to do in a friendly sparring match here at our school".

Anyways, that was a good read!

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

We use that chopping kick. It's devastating.

Really good article. I linked it to my clubs Facebook page as there's lots of really good information and examples made.

Thanks.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We do it all the time in sparring. We also check with the low kick so it's now too much of a problem.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly I think people try to find too many differences in low kicks.
    Thai's throw all sorts of low kicks IMHO. Upward angle, horizontal, downward angle, as power shots, as openers, as set-ups, with a lot of hip and without the hip.
    I don't think you can really say "this is Thai style and this is not" because I'm pretty sure you can find a Thai throwing a low kick in any way you try to describe as "non-thai".

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We all know low kicks are for inflexible losers. :D

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

In Muay Thai all the strikes have the same angles eg the 45 degree round kick is termed Tae(kick) Chiang the 45 degree elbow is termed sawk(elbow) Chiang,as PA said the main 3 round kicks are upward(the quickest) horizontal(best for off balancing) and downward which I dont like to the leg but I do like to the neck,my favourite is Kern Kaen Kern Kow half knee half shin,awesome technique against a good puncher:)

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

In the gym I trained in the downward chopping leg kick was one of several variations of kicks we practiced.

11. Pretty In Pink

And spinny/fancy head kicks are for people who can't fight in a proper rule set :p

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ooh, you and VZ in K1 rules? :D

Mitch

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:kick:

Attached Files:

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Van Zandt vs. Chadderz - MAP Meet 2014

16. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I train san shou rules... but I'm not doing it for competition, so it really doesn't matter lol.

17. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I thought you trained MT?

18. Pretty In Pink

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNroQ1-dWs#[/ame]

19. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'll ref. ;)

20. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Well it is basically MT without the same type of rules. The kicks are the same, punches, elbows, knees, clinches, etc... but there's throws and such in it.