kickboxing vs karate

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by phoenix88, Sep 1, 2003.

1. phoenix88

phoenix88 New Member

me and my friedn are always debating what is better kickboxing or karate what do you think?pm me with you opinions thanks it will help loads luv phoenix xxx

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Karateka are better at wrapping Christmas presents.

Kickboxers are better at putting the bins out.

Hope that clears it up once and for all. :D

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Depends what your aims are I suppose. Personally I found kickboxing pretty limited (assuming your not talking about Thai Boxing) and I've only been to one karate class so I guess Iam not really qualified to comment.

I'll shut up now:D

4. cmaauk

cmaauk Valued Member

I have studied both. You are quite correct John it depends on your aims.

Kickboxing (Muay Thai & Freestyle) has given me the power, reactions and the abilty to "flow" through my techniques whilste Karate has given me the focus and balance.

In short try them both and then draw your own conclusions, as they say "each to thier own". But be carefull where you go, there are a lot of Karate Schools now teaching "Kickboxing" so make sure they are actually qualified otherwise you will just be doing modified padwork which will give you the wrong perspective.

5. Cain

Cain New Member

ROFL!!! :D

Damn! I just fell off! :D

|Cain|

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I personally feel that the STYLE kickboxing is slightly inferior to full contact styles of karate such as kyokushin, because of the lack of low kicks, elbows and kneeing, which make the fight much more enjoyable. However, there are sucky kickboxers and there are sucky karatemen, so thw whole "style vs style" discussion is sort of irrelevant. Watch K-1 if you want to decide what style of standup fighting put out strong fighters.

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Me smell troll ;)

|Cain|

8. MTK

MTK New Member

The kickboxing type i am in is called Max total kickboxing and has very effectively beaten karate, But I do believe that it depends on what sort of kickboxing you are in.

9. alcapone

alcapone New Member

Hi, I don't practice Karate (used to many years ago) but have done Kickboxing for a few months recently, I actually do TaeKwondo. My aim is to perfect the TKD kicks, then go back to kickboxing.

I personally believe that the "better" of the two (assuming fully trained i.e. master or above) would be Karate if it wasn't in a controled situation i.e. on the streets, simply because a kickboxer would try a punch for the first strike (generalising I know but prob true), a karate master would dodge the arm then disable it (same as TKD), a simple breaking technique or locking movement would snap the arm. Kickboxers are not used to this form of self defence! In a ring on the other hand, in a CONTROLED situation, I believe a kickboxer would have the advantage, and would win the competition.

Remember, karate TKD etc were created for soldiers, they teach leathal methods of unarmed combat, every strike should kill, including blocking techniques.
    Kickboxing was primerily devised for sport, and lives up to that very very well. As someone mentioned, K1 says it all, on a battle field however, I know what I'd rather be trained in!

Just my opinion, I am in no way passing judgement, it's just how I see it from my own experiences of all these martial arts.

AL

10. saikyou

saikyou New Member

depends on the fighters. give of two specific fighters(one karate and one kickboxing) to compare. a weak karate practitioner can be easily beaten by a weak kickboxing practitioner and vice versa.

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think you and your friends are probably prepubescent. :D

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

MAS OYAMA VS. BLACK COBRA....
    Need I say more?

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Far as I'm concerned you do yes.

What you on about?

14. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

I think black cobra is a tacky chuck norris/jc van damme film, not sure though.

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Phoenix mate: Give your mate back the wooden duck on wheels, and I'm sure he'll agree that Kickboxing is better ;)

16. totality

totality New Member

the winner of that contest is based on which style i choose on any particular day ;)

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

It has very little to do with style and more to do with the practitioner. I've seen 17 stone, lard ass truck drivers pummel the crap out of 'trained' fighters!

Col

18. totality

totality New Member

but really, karate is the true way of the warrior, but only if taught by mr. miyagi himself. anyone else who teaches anything else is a schmuck.

sorry, but this frighteningly similar to a "tkd kicks vs. mt kicks" battle i saw recently on the sherdog.com forums

19. sher

sher New Member

i do modern karate wich is kindof a mixture of kickboxing thai boxing and other stuff we do knees elbows etc grappling and locks and low kicks

20. flyingkickz

flyingkickz New Member

"I personally believe that the "better" of the two (assuming fully trained i.e. master or above) would be Karate if it wasn't in a controled situation i.e. on the streets, simply because a kickboxer would try a punch for the first strike (generalising I know but prob true), a karate master would dodge the arm then disable it (same as TKD), a simple breaking technique or locking movement would snap the arm. Kickboxers are not used to this form of self defence! In a ring on the other hand, in a CONTROLED situation, I believe a kickboxer would have the advantage, and would win the competition."

With all due respect your post shows that you haven't had any experience with real martial artists. kata applications and arm disabling techniques are only meant for(and effective against) untrained fighters. Do you think a karateka would just catch the jab with both hands and break it? maybe if the kickboxer was increidbly slow, or complient, but otherwise the karateka wouldn't stand much of a chance of using a kata technique on the kickboxer