Kickboxing vs BJJ

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by slickoneuk, Mar 9, 2014.

1. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Ladies and Gent and bad ass mofo's alike

I have a small question.

I am 39 and a hobbiest kickboxer, train 3 times per week, no intention of fighting full contact.

Recently I have been noticing that kickboxing really is taking its toal on my hips and joints.

My club also have BJJ classes and by all accounts they are very good.

Is BJJ as rough on the joints as Kickboxing training?

Cheers

BBB

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Eeeeh, depends on how you're training and what you're training for. BJJ is probably more strenuous, and harder work, but you don't have to go hard ever. Definitely the first few classes are much harder because you're using muscles you're not use to.

3. slickoneuk

This is my quandry, I love kickboxing, my instructor is excellent but man i feel battered after training.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Maybe train 2 days in Kickboxing and 1 in BJJ.

If one becomes a greater love then you don't even have to change schools to get what you want.

5. slickoneuk

its a posability Simon, I dont want to P off the BJJ guy as he is really decent. People who turned up for 2 classes and the dissapeared always pee'd me off

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You're maybe red lining too much. Ease up a bit perhaps.

7. slickoneuk

Maybe, i shall have to think on it. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on folks.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I used to train in Full Contact Kickboxing for a couple of years. If you have absolutely no intention of competing then your Kickboxing shouldn't be hard at all. Not to the level where you feel battered after a session.

Perhaps look into doing a slightly longer warmup along with stretching before training if it's hard on your joints. Also revise your technique to make sure you aren't slipping up somewhere. You would be surprised how a slight tweak in technique can affect your body.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. slickoneuk

Battered is the wrong terminology. Just ground down. Not battered as in being battered by somebody.

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Try dropping a session and see if it makes a difference. Rest is important.

11. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Just to add to Chadderz.

The difference is that in kickboxing joints take damage by acute forces acting on them (punching and kicking), while in BJJ joints take damage from sustained pressure (holds, locks, etc.). Neither are particularly great for joint health, and one isn't particularly easier on the joints than another. Everyone's body is different and people tend to respond to both types of pressures differently. So test it out.

Also joints and bone take slightly longer to heal than muscles do, especially as we age. So maybe you just need to let your body catch up with your training.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Talk to the instructors and tell them what you're doing
    Once you're doing both you have lots of options?

13. slickoneuk

I have been twiddling with the idea of doing a class of both. May ease my weary bones

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Stick with kickboxing. Not hating on BJJ but don't sacrifice kicking people in the head for that hippy hugging crap. :p

Your complaint is common in kickboxers of all ages who don't strengthen the muscles that stabilise the spine and joints. Kickboxing makes you fit, yes. But you need to be strong to do it without causing yourself problems.

How much supplementary weight lifting do you do? I mean things like squats, deadlifts and rows.

And what is your flexibility like? Many clients I treat suffer from misaligned joints and poor posture because they don't rectify ROM problems (which preceded them taking up martial arts). Their bodies compensate for the lack of optimal movement patterns and end up getting pulled all outta whack. It's not just your joints that suffer either. Insufficient ROM makes learning skills more difficult so you probably aren't hitting as fast or powerful as you could be.

But yeah, skip BJJ. They don't even wear hand wraps man. No hand wraps! :eek:

15. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Do you know what causes it? Is it the sparring, drills, pad holding, all this combined or..?

16. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Maybe your body needs more recovery time between classes? Have you tried training just twice a week?

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

BJJ can be strengthening to the joints if you train sensibly, if you dont it can be hard on them, tap often and tap early to begin with.

But it sounds like your just tired from your regular routine.

Try having 3 hard weeks and 1 easy week to help reduce the burn out.

oh and definitely at least try the BJJ, it may just renew your interest in MA.

18. slickoneuk

Combination of everything. I think Dan may be on to something though. I do not do any other weight training. I try to stretch most days unless I'm unable to.