Kickboxing / Thai Boxing... Manchester

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Sabscut, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

Hi, I'm new to the Martial Arts world and wanted a little advice on places to train in Manchester.

There seems to be a large number of Thai Boxing gyms in the city but a lack of Kickboxing. I have attended a couple of Kickboxing classes but the amount of money they are asking for seems a little excesive, (£600 for 6 months). Is this the norm?

Could anybody reccommend a place to train?? I'm ideally looking at kickboxing with a grading system so I have a material goal to achieve. Also there has to be sparring, ideally full contact as a major part of me taking up this sport is to relieve aggression in a sensible way.

Any reccommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Where in Manchester?

3. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

Ideally east Manchester around the Tameside area, Stretford, Chorlton and Trafford I could also make.

4. Moi

5. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

Thanks for the link, do you know much about Fudoshin-ki? They don't appear to have a website. Also I'm going to try Fighting Fit Me tomorrow night... do you know anything about the club?

6. Moi

No sorry.

That's Thai boxing. Better places to learn Thai than there

7. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

I'm looking at Thai aswell.. where would you reccomend?

8. Moi

9. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

Looks good going off the website.. could be a little to far though, I'll do a trial run. Class times suit me aswell... Thanks.

Any others closer to me worth taking a look at?

10. Moi

11. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

Thanks for the help... looks like I live and work on the wrong side of Manchester... A little travelling it will have to be.

Cheers.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Doesn't Master Sken have a place at Stockport with SBG or is that too far out?

I think my old kung fu teacher started a kickboxing class in Manc, not sure where though. Can try and find out for you,he's pretty elusive though.

13. Sabscut

Sabscut New Member

I've been looking at the MSA.. its not to far but the class times don't really suit, I'm going to have a drive down over the weekend and check it out... I've only heard good things about the place. Do you know much about Chorlton Black Belt Academy?

If you can find out where that class is, that would be great... more the merrier.. I know I sound a bit picky but I want to get the best training I can.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Ajarn Chana in Preston,Darren Phillips in Bury(gfc) are both great choices for real Muay Thai.:)

15. Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa Valued Member

NWCKB in Chorlton. Run by Chris Boughey, a well-respected figure in Martial Arts and a regular contributor in MAI Magazine. Might be worth checking them out...

16. Sincere

Sincere Valued Member

Sorry to thread jack...but do you have any contact details for Chris Boughey? I'm in the same boat and looking for a KB Gym in south manchester.

Cheers

17. Sincere

Sincere Valued Member

18. Jocky Balboa

If you want to give us a try, then come to one of the beginner classes on mondays at 6.30, wednesday at 6.30, or saturday at 4pm.

Basically, the system is built around Kickboxing (i.e. traditional US-style Sport Kickboxing, kicks above the waist only) but throws in elements of Kung-Fu as a complement to that, as our Chief Instructor Chris Boughey is also a 4th Dan in Lau Gar Kung-Fu.

Tell them I sent ya (the Scottish guy with the skinhead! lol) and whoever you talk to on the night will be very helpful and tell you whatever else you need to know.

19. Sincere

Sincere Valued Member

Thanks alot mate.I'll be deffo come along to one of these classes very soon:cool:
    How long have you been training there for, and how much are the membership/training fees?

20. Jocky Balboa

I started there in 2008, after conducting a search similar to yourself, for a KB club in Gtr. Manchester. I smashed my knee just over 2yrs ago in a Thai fight and had to give it up on medical advice, after a few ops and many months of attempted rehabilitation and physio.

I like the fact we train Thai-style low kicks, elbows and knees, but compete in traditional KB tournaments, where the "no kicks to the legs and knees" rules make it safer for me, but most importantly enjoyable.

I love training there and would recommend it to anyone. Come along, like I said, so you can give it a try for yourself. Licence is only £15 a year and there are NO CONTRACTS, just a "pay as you go" set-up, with each class £4.80, so it's very affordable.

See you there soon!