Kickboxing is no martial art

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by wisdom, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

What did someone say about weird behavior in another thread? Who's been eating the deodorant?

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

*Looks guilty*

3. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

Merry Christmas fools !! :D

4. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I think anything is an art when one is expressing oneself for no other reason...

It's a sport when you are competing for a prize...

But, they can be interchanged...or combined...

...but, I hope that makes some sense...

WOW...

That has to be my shortest post EVER! LOL :)

5. Yan

Yan New Member

I went to Merton College in morden (south london) at 15 and still going.

Didn't mean to contradict you though, you're right. You cant spel colage, you shuoldntt bee thereer

-yani

6. RJ_Bushido

RJ_Bushido New Member

I don't know if Kickboxing is an arts as such, because it's got no forms and it's not disiplined but it's lots of fun, and i do it cause it's got no forms in it, but thats just me.

7. Yan

Yan New Member

'not disciplined'

You should come and train in our dojo mate, then we'll see where the discipline's at.

-yani

8. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

The guy who started this thread got banned for being a troll. Maybe we should all live and let live on this one.

9. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Is trolling a sport or a martial art?

;)

10. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

ironically, his screen name was "wisdom." Hmmm, didn't seem to display the qualities of widom if he got himself banned. whoops. Of course, if one did get banned one could always reapply from a different e-mail address with a new s/n and personality...(suspicious eyes darting back and forth).

11. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

This is the way I see it, a martial artist is a person
    meaning that he is a martial-----artist
    So if a person is a martial artist.....he can use what ever he practices for what ever he wants to, he is a martial-----artist
    Bear in mind that it was a martial artist who created kickboxing...
    and judo.....and all the others too.
    The created it.....because that's what artist do right....they have creativity, and imagination, and they put it all to use in their art right? So, kick boxing is what ever the artist makes of it for himself, so is judo, so is boxing, wrestling, fencing, kendo, karate, tae kwan do, kung fu, jeet kune do, and whatever else
    Okay, I'll just shut up:(

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

<ivory tower intellectual mode>The problem is, when most people think 'art' they think 'representational art', i.e. the dead art of conventions and cosmetics that people like the fluxus collective tried so hard to free you all from, you philistines!.</ivory tower intellectual mode>

A lot of people talk about art without any real conception of what art actually is. High art is an expression in material terms of the internal condition of the human soul. This has nothing to do with formalism, conventions and mindless acceptance of representational norms.

I'm not 100% convinced that the ideas of high art can be translated into the terms of combat and learning. The point is that the concepts of 'art' are really not that important for the kind of person who asks questions like 'is kickboxing a martial art?' (yes it is. Go away.). Working on their basic artistic skills, i.e. their general athleticism and technique is much more important.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  13. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

i agree with both wayofthedragon (i too am a bruce fan) and random....

here are my thoughts.. the very word martial art is an oxymoron.... how can something thats martial and combative be an art....

however, art in terms of an asian thinking and western are different... for instance when we think about calligraphy over here we think "oh that's nice way to write something" but in asian thinking calligraphy is much like a way of life..... asian calligraphists don't go calligraphy because they want an advertisment or a certification to look nice and formal... they do it for the very act itself... it is done for the enjoyment of the act, putting one's emotions and experiences into each and every brushstroke till the finale.... martial artists are the same way (at least i hope you are the same way) we devote hours and hours training ourselves not because in the end we will become some super hero (at least i hope you don't)... its for the enjoyment of the act itself... personally i love kickboxing... i love the attacks the finesse involved every single aspect of it is great.... and being a kickboxing and martial art enthusiast i can honestly say that there is beauty in a kick, punch, strike and striving to perfect it... this is what makes it a martial art

14. totality

totality New Member

kickbxoing isss np art, teh only rale martjial art is berzilian jujubes, stirkers suxx0rs much.

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yes it is!

16. MD5

MD5 New Member

Doesn't people just think that a real MA must have uniforms and sport fight have boxing gloves? I am saying non-MA background people in general.

17. Kenshin Himura

Kenshin Himura New Member

kick boxing is a sport not a MA.It is taught that way. Muey Thai is a MA.

18. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Why do you say that? They both have some similar techniques.Nowadays training in a regular gym,the muay thai training is not as tough as it was in Thailand(generalising i know but imo true).They are also competed in sporting events.

So what makes you say muay thai is a martial art and kb isnt?

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe what a dork ;)

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

evidently, you've never had your @ss handed to you by a muay thai guy.