Kickboxing in a wheelchair

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by G-Rout, Oct 28, 2004.

1. G-Rout

G-Rout New Member

I attend a Shaolin Kung Fu class twice a week, which is also has a kickboxing class running at the same time. Just recently we've had a lad turn up in a wheelchair, who I think also has mild learning disabilities. Although he does kickboxing, I often get partnered with him (mainly as many ppl at the club wouldn't be sure what to do in that situation, whereas I improvise [no disrespect intended at all]). The problem is, he's loving kickboxing, and despite some obvious troubles has done quite well for only a few weeks training, but is there any way I might be able to mak things more interesting for him.

At the moment when others are doing kicks, he has to continue with hands techniques, but obviously only doing hand techniques can probably become quite frustrating. Im not quite sure what help Im asking for, or what I expect in return, but any advice is good.

Cheers

2. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

ok....the guy does kickboxing...but cant use his legs....interesting. We have a student at our karate club in a wheelchair. all he does is the hand techniques...BUT....man is he good......his level of determination is absolutly incredible...and he's only about 16. i dont think it will become frustrating for him just to use hand techniques. i mean, he knows he wont be able to use his legs so i guess it wont be bothering him too much.

To make thing more 'interseting' is - he cant kick, but his opponent can. if the opponent uses hand tech's he can use hand tech's. So focus on using more leg tech's so he can learn to counter them, even though he cant use his own. He will be able to deal with hand combat and be able to counter leg tech's more.

i dont know if that was any help.....but thats my opinion....:)

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I had a kickboxing and eskrima teacher who was in a wheelchair, as it happens. There were a couple of things that jump to mind. As Kgirl said, weapons will open up some possibilities. But that's a different course of study. Not really something you could toss in during a kickboxing class necessarily.

My teacher, in a demo, used a couple of maneuvers like bouncing my forehead off the arm of his chair and rolling over my foot with the wheel to keep me pinned. You might try looking into some clinching maneuvers so he can bounce... er, your forehead off the wheel of his chair, etc.

Stuart

5. G-Rout

G-Rout New Member

Cheers for that so far guys. Yet to look at the links yet, but cheers, will do later tonight when i come back on. I have started working on him defending kicks, but it has to be considered that this is only about his fifth week (he's about 14 - 15 yrs old I think), but has high determination already. Main prob with kicks is if he doesn't have the brakes on he goes rolling backwards...obv something that'll have to be worked on in the future. I tried being clever, told him to put the brakes on...and if i hadn't have caught him he would have pivoted over backwards and out of the wheelchair. :)

Cheers again, all comments helpful and welcome

Sam

6. punchfast

punchfast New Member

Speed Bag and Wheelchair

The Speed Bag could also be an interesting and effective activity for him. You don't have to stand up to hit a speed bag, and he could focus on fist and elbow combinations.

Links:

Speed Bag in wheelchair

http://www.speedbagcentral.com/Rehabilitation_RehabTraining.html

Speed Bag in Wheelchair videoclip (see "music 4" on bottom row of clips)

http://www.speedbagcentral.com/Demos.html

He could also use a double end bag for some variety.

Good luck to him. The arts need to embrace more folks with disabilities.

Punchfast
    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout.