Kickboxing Grading today!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Moomoo, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Moomoo

Moomoo New Member

I am going for my blue belt (7th belt) today. I always get really nervous and when asked to shadow spar, I forget everything! Also I can't do very good jumping front kicks!! Some advice on how to keep calm please?!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Try and think of it like a normal class. Let yourself do the things you already know you can do. Work hard right from the start and somewhere in there remember to enjoy it!

Mitch

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I have problems calming down too. What usually helps me is deep breathing and clearing the mind as best as possible. Follow that with slow stretching. If you can search a while before the test, do a web search for exercises on meditation, breathing, and relaxation. Also try positive self-talk.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Do a hard warmup for about 15 mins, that should help relax your muscles a bit and in turn your mind. I know it does for me.

Good luck with your blue.

5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

What I always tell people before a test if they're nervous is "you know this, I know you do. Just don't think"

Just do what you know how to do, you probably wouldn't be testing if your instructor didn't know you could pass.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Come on then Moomoo? How did it go?
    Mitch

7. Unreal Combat

Just hope he's not in England doing it today. It's a very hot day for kickboxing haha.

8. Moomoo

Moomoo New Member

Thank you!

Thanks guys, I passed my grading and I am now a blue belt! 4 belts til black! Thank you :D :banana:

9. Moomoo

Moomoo New Member

Yep, it was in England! (And I'm a she!) :cool:

10. Unreal Combat

My apologies.

Had any fights yet (or planning on taking any?)? Or just in it for the cardio and skill set?

11. Moomoo

Moomoo New Member

Haha its ok :cool: No, I haven't had any competitions or fights yet as the venue is 2 and 1/2 hours away from where I live! I am rubbish at sparring anyways as I tend to just move back and block rather than fight back in class. The cardio and skill part is mostly the reason I joined. :)

12. Unreal Combat

Took me some time to get used to the whole fighting back during sparring aspect, haha. It's a natural instinct to just cover up when the shots start raining in and takes some time to get yourself used to taking the shots so you can open up chances to counter attack, etc.

I found attack and defend drills did wonders to help aid my confidence in blocking and taking shots, in and out of the ring.

13. Hive

Hive Valued Member

I am similar, I much prefer trying to counter and/or be defensive. Recently we did a more attack vs counter class (me as attacker) and I think I got floored more that night than any other. I was totally out of my comfort zone.

PS - the gradings at my Sanshou club are only every 6 months so I won't be posting in ere much ;)

14. Unreal Combat

I used to be really aggressive when I first started sparring. I found it was my way of pushing forward and nullifying the other fighters attacks. It also made up for my lack of technical ability. Nowadays I'm a lot more technical in my style than aggressive. I find (for myself) a good offence is a good defence, though it doesn't work with everyone. It tends to work more against technical fighters and counter fighters more than those who are also aggressive. Against aggressive fighters I find myself more on the back foot and playing a lot more defensively looking for counters, but still keeping the other guy thinking the best I can. I take more hits against aggressive fighters while I learn the technical way (even from those who are of a lot lesser ability but just throw a lot), but I'm a better fighter for it (I think). I pick my shots off better, I defend better. :)

Once you get used to taking the odd hit here and there you'll find you will throw a lot more hits of your own. Keeping busy is pretty much the key to victory in Kickboxing (well in any form of it really I guess), as you should always be giving the other fighter something to think about. Certainly easier said than done though, and requires good cardio and ring craft to pull off well. Something that definitely is built over time and practice. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and expanding your style will certainly reap benefits, even if you do take more hits while you get used to fighting a different style.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013