Kickboxing causes head damage?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by pj_goober, Mar 28, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You're right. That's why it's not mandatory in any way shape or form. If you don't want to do it because of the risks... then it's real simple... don't do it. :)

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

you guys do realize that when you get koed....it is a serious brain injury.

3. slipthejab

You're right it is trauma. No escaping that. That's part of the reason it can be so hard to get the gumbshield out of someones mouth that has been KO'd... they clamp down hard on it. Part of the bodies natural response to shut down.

That being said... the whole point is not to get KO'd. The whole point is to invest enough time and commitment that you have the skills that make getting KO'd not all that possible for your opponent.

If I look back at my life when I was a kid... the amount of head trauma I got from falling out of tree's, coming around the back of trucks that had lumber sticking out and catching it with my head, getting hit in a dirt clod fight where someone had packed a riverstone into a dirt clod, or even just having play fights with wooden swords and staves that we'd cut up our moms brooms for... then I'd say I suffered more head trauma there than I ever have in Muay Thai or boxing.

That may answer a whole lot of questions for many MAPers about me...:D

So seriously I think it's a choice one has to make... just basing that choice on that you can get KO'd isn't the way to go. You can get hurt doing anything... the humble home shower slip is one of the biggest killers of people in home... yet we still take showers.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

And the head trauma i got from heading soaking wet leather footballs when we played footie daily in the rain!,good fun though :)

5. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

6. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea like others have said probably most of us know the risks involved in MAs and accept them, plus the point of MA i would say originally to hurt someone trying to attack u so it doesnt suprise me that when people use MA against eachother that someone could get hurt (that was pretty much the point of the training) acceptable risk i think

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

me too.

but thats cause we are old farts and no one knew any better. bike helmets were only for the short bus guys....and wearing one would only endanger you....from bulllies

you forgot to mention head trama caused by imitating evil kenevil. one jumped a 20foot creek. bike was trashed , out cold for 10min, and broken arm.

but i made the jump......evil would be proud.

they say evel kinival has broken most of the bones in his body...imagine how many he has inspired to brake.

so matter....here in the us good doctor, chicks dig scars and bones heal.

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

oh yeah...i forgot when i was playing football.(american....defensive back) i didnt even consider it a good hit unless i saw a white flash.

then the coach?team mates would run up pound my helmet with "nice hit...way to bring the hat"

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

LOL at MaiTai :)

10. never_surrender

never_surrender New Member

They say every sport weather it is Full Contact or not carries risk elements weather it be to the Brain, Heart,(quite a few footballers have died recently from heart attacks at a young age) Legs, ETC, ETC. Although i have never heard of Bowlers ever receiving many injuries! Hmmmm, maybe us Kickboxers should take up bowling to save our heads etc. :D

11. slipthejab

At last we'd be huge in India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan! :D

12. never_surrender

never_surrender New Member

I meant on a bowling green you **** kicking knuckle head!