kickboxing any good?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Legend Awakens, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It has to be drilled and practised over and over and over again until it becomes instinctive, then it happens without thought. Much like the instinctive ability to catch something which someone has thrown at you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Academics may be mental knowledge; but Martial Arts is physical knowledge.

You learn subjects such as maths, history, geography etc. to know and think about them. But with MA, you learn and condition the techniques into oneself. They become a apart of you (your reflexes), not information which can be pulled up after thinking for a little bit. They're executed naturally, without any need to think. It is not systematic assessement, but your reflexes that will win a fight.

3. b33p

b33p New Member

the person with the most knowledge will win :)

4. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

No, the person who can apply the knowledge most effectively will win ;)

One can have a vast amount of knowledge and not know how to use it properly.

5. OBCT

OBCT New Member

There are 2 parts to the brain. Concious and Subconcious. If you repeatedly train over and over, the body gains muscle memeory, this is the point at which the movement enters subconcious thought, it becomes instinctive.

A good Martail artist will have an academic aspect to his/her fighting, an example being centreline theory in WC, it is an academic idea, that is employed in a fight.
    After a while, it becomes instinctive, the MA using centreline theory is still using an academic idea. So MA is not purely physical or mental, it is both.

Bearing in mind also that MA and medicine historically are very close together, it would be a shame to seperate this academic side of MAist from the fighting.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

10 points for him :)

7. b33p

b33p New Member

you would have the knowledge to use it :)

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

You'll learn the jab, the cross, the hook the low kick and high rounhouse kick for sure :D

Just playing m8 - nothing implied ;)

Afterwards we'll do some grapplin and you'll teach me every move I submit to (it's gonna be a long night if we do that :D)

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Tis all good fun at the end of the day :D

10. savage

savage New Member

plus cardio is way higher in boxing and kickboxing as it is in mma
    so your reflexes have something to feed off of for a longer time

11. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

What is that supposed to mean? :confused:

12. OBCT

OBCT New Member

isn't MMA Mixed Martial Arts ? so often includes boxing, kickboxing, as such could have an equal ephasis on cardio. I may be wrong, please feel free to correct me.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

If your trying to say boxing / kickboxing requires more cardio training than that of MMA, then i'd say you were wrong.

MMA bouts go on alot longer than those of boxing or kickboxing (sometimes up to 10mins), where the action is continuous... you cannot clinch and expect the ref to seperate you; nor can you go to the floor and expect to be stood up.

14. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Having done TMA for 8 years now I was still beaten into pulp when I first sat foot in a kickboxing class. Even when we did drills like front-kick, hook, jab, jab, turning-kick slow-motion, and I knew what came when, I got punched and kicked harder than I'm used to.

The difference as I see it is like this:
    TMA = One shot, one kill
    (Kick)boxing = slowly reduce your opponent to pulp

15. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I would have though the early UFC's would have gotten rid of the "one hit, one kill" mentality. :rolleyes:

16. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

It was sort of a joke, sort of the real deal... :p
    Don't take it literally...

17. savage

savage New Member

one hit one kills do not work an a ready opponent or may not even work well at all

18. notquitedead

LOL, one hit knockouts rarely work, I don't put any faith into "one hit kills". ;)

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

One hit knockouts? :D Pah! Only person i ever seen do a 1 hit KO was Oyama in King Of the Cage, and Mario Sperry in Pride :D Im sure there are many more, but non of them are TMAists :)

Besides, any single hard hit to the side of the jaw is capable of knocking someone out.

20. notquitedead

I know, but it isn't reliable. You can't say "if you attack me I'll just hit your jaw and lights out for you". It's the same with one hit kills, I'm sure they're possible, but HIGHLY unlikely (at least if we're talking unarmed combat... ;) ).

Hmm... I just thought about something. It doesn't matter how many times you hit a guy before knocking him out, because if you just think of it in terms of that last hit, it's a one hit KO. :D You can tell I've been reading one of those weird math threads in the philosphy section, can't you....?? :eek: