~~~> KI <~~~ Your Internal "Energy", or lack thereof...

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do you believe in "KI"?

1. Yes, I believe in KI

29 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. No, I think it's all a bunch of rubbish!

24 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. Sorta yes, Sorta no...still on the fence!

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Then there is the alternative view that those myths and attributes of times past are exactly that - myths.

There is no credible testimony - certainly none that can be verified or examined with a critical eye - that can attest to anything. It is all a story passed down from mouth to mouth.

Can people do incredible things? Absolutely! I have seen feats that boggle the mind eye and imagination. But they are not due to energy or some mystical source - they are down to pushing your own limits and a lot of hard training and work.

KCQ is attractive to a certain type because it offers a tantalising opportunity to tap into a level of ability beyond those one would expect; the tragedy is they will never understand that there is no substitute for hard work and that there is no philosophers stone.

This does not inavlidate arts that claim to harness KCQ - it does howver throw a lot of doubt on the reasons they claim the art works. Show me something that cannot be duplicated by non-KCQ and I am as receptive as the next - that has yet to happen though.

I believe that this is definitely one issue that no headway will be made on - and to that end I am making an exit whilst there is at least some semblance of civility. Adieu

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hannibal:
    You know, you're wasting your Chi debating this with the wanna-be-jedi-brigade? :whistle:

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Yes of course energy of some kind or another exists within living creatures. As for breathing out when you exert yourself, you only have to watch a track and field athlete putting the shot to see that is a natural thing to do. But now go stand a house brick on end and then knock it over for me using only your Chi, or your Ki-hap please.

We, as humans, need oxygen to live, so of course breathing is important. But there's nothing too complicated about it. We breath in, we breath out. When we exert ourselves, we breath harder.

Of the attached list, can you name anyone who you know to be a well-known practitioner/devotee of Ki development techniques?

Attached Files:

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Of course not, because that is horse-crap.
    Like I said before, Qigong is simply a method of increasing the amount of energy taken in via various means, such as breathing or eating.

Hence the methods meant to deepen the breath, and keep it level in stressful situations. Qigong = 'Breath Work'.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm seriously hoping we don't have several years of this thread to run. Frankly sitting there at your keyboard going on about how much hard work you put into learning oriental languages or how to read their dictionaries doesn't advance the discussion a single bit.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Could explain friendly fire.

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

What do you mean wanna-be? :meditate::vanish:

8. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Neither does your pointless complaint.

9. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

from http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/25705370/197392731/name/Qigongpain.pdf

Abstract: The objective of this systematic review was to assess the evidence for the effectiveness of internal qigong as a treatment option for pain conditions. Nineteen databases were searched through to February 2009. Controlled clinical trials testing internal qigong in patients with pain of any origin assessing clinical outcome measures were considered. Trials using any type of internal qigong and control intervention were included. The selection of studies, data extraction, and validation were performed independently by 2 reviewers. Four randomized clinical trials (RCTs) and 3 controlled
    clinical trials met all inclusion criteria. One RCT suggested no significant difference for low back pain compared with electromyographic biofeedback. Two RCTs failed to show effects of internal qigong in neck pain compared with exercise therapy and waiting list control. One RCT suggested that qigong is inferior to aerobic exercise in patients with fibromyalgia. There are few RCTs testing the effectiveness of internal qigong in the management of pain conditions. Collectively, the existing trial evidence is not convincing enough to suggest that internal qigong is an effective modality for pain management.

ª 2009 by the American Pain Society

Thats a polite way of saying its all BS

10. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

Have they done a study on other supposed benefits of ki, JD? Perhaps ki is effective in other ways? :dunno:

11. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Nothing I could find, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place
    Would be difficult to do any kind of controlled study though on any non-medical aspects. I suspect theres probably an Acupuncture review somewhere - but any effects there could well be due to other organic mechanisms

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

13. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is acupuncture really about Ki?

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Some people claim it is. They claim they're releasing blocked energy. So far as I understand it the needles are placed in the skin along the meridian lines of the body.

16. 47MartialMan

Hitting or stimulating nerves

17. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Just not in the way you're intimating. :rolleyes:

18. 47MartialMan

Sure. Its that simple
    :rolleyes::Alien::meditate:

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Funny you should say that. I did see something on TV once where a Japanese man used acupuncture to stun fish for live transport and then revive them again. The procedure was so simple anybody could do it using a template he had made. I can't find a source on the interwebs though. So annoying.

20. 47MartialMan

EXACTLY

Ki was the way to explain medicine at a time when it wasn't thoroughly understood with technology.

Medicine and technology had advanced.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011