Khan's Next Fight

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Boardeaux, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

I don't really understand the world of professional boxing and how they organise fights so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

There are four Welterweight World Champions - Mayweather, Maidana, Porter and Bradley.

Khan has been trying to get a fight with Mayweather. Mayweather is now fighting Maidana.

Mayweather has said he will fight Khan if Khan beats Broner on an undercard at his Maidana fight. Khan presumably won't do this.

Bradley is fighting Pacquiao next month.

That leaves Porter who as far as I can tell doesn't have any fights lined up. Why isn't anyone talking about Khan fighting Porter?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Because boxing titles are about paydays not logic?

It's all about money at the end of the day.

Mitch

3. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

So are you saying that Porter Khan fight wouldn't be a big draw? Genuine question I have no view one way or the other.

Just doing a bit of googling and found something that suggests Porter's next fight could be against Paulie Malignaggi with a view to then fighting Mayweather.

I understand what you say about it all being about money but is it always about the next fight's purse rather than the long term?

For example would Porter's team see a Malignaggi then Mayweather as more lucrative than Khan then Mayweather?

Maybe I am being too UK-biased and the rest of the world just doesn't see Khan as a big name

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He isn't

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Boxing careers have a short shelf life. Promoters especially want to make as much money as they can before their cash cow is past his prime. Everyone wants a shot at Mayweather because he's the best there is right now, and they want to do it before he retires or gets a 1 in the L column.

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I think many are motivated because of the money they get just for being in a fight with Mayweather.

Usually fighters like Mayweather are ducked, but he isn't called "Money" for nothing.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Broner is fighting Khan yes, it's actually more assumed (at least by me) that Khan would have little trouble with Broner. Broner cannot fight at a distance very well and while Khan has a weak chin, I still think he can beat him on sheer volume if nothing else. Broner doesn't have the time to work on his wannbe Floyd defense and actually use it well enough to not get hit. Khan beating Broner (who LOOKS like he can fight like Floyd) will attract people to a Floyd vs. Khan fight... plus if it's on PPV, then it will draw the buying public into that fight. I still won't pay for a Floyd vs. Khan fight.

Are there bigger threats out there? Sure, but until arum and golden boy will do business together, you won't see Floyd vs. Manny, Bradley, or any other top rank fighter.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sucks that the governing bodies can't step in and overrule the promoters to give boxing the fights it needs.

9. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Amen.

10. Saved_in_Blood

yes it does, but in the end for every fighter out there it's risk vs. reward. Floyd could beat anyone IMO from 154 and down and get a whole lot more credit added to his legacy, but I guess he looks at it as none of these people will be paying my bills once I retire from boxing. That's part of the issue to. Boxers are notoriously stupid when it comes to their funds and they run out of money fast once retired.

Floyd just doesn't realize (or just didn't want to do it) that had he signed to fight Martinez at 160 that his legacy might well have been solidified as the absolute greatest fighter of all time... instead he fights guys who have little chance, but makes big money doing it. He still will have a great legacy, but not what it could be.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Shame a compulsory pension scheme doesn't exist i.e. x% of a fighter's annual purse is deposited by the governing bodies into an account that a retired boxer can access only when he reaches a certain age.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd rather put my John Thomas in the hands of a psychotic madman with a freshly sharpened pair of garden shears than my pension in the hands of any of boxing's governing bodies.

Well, not really, but you get the point :D

Mitch

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I didn't know what a John Thomas was. I Googled it, in Images no less. Rather wishing I hadn't.

No sorry I meant deposited into a fund managed by a third party, the Government even (is that any safer? :eek: )

14. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

I understand now. It's not about titles or personal glory but rather how you can get a shot at a big payout with a mayweather fight.

Seems kind of disappointing but I guess I am just naive.

Would boxing, or at least the welterweightish division, be better off when floyd retires?

15. Saved_in_Blood

Floyd's skill will be greatly missed IMO. You do have guys such as Andre Ward who will be the next p4p #1 guy out there and has excellent skill. I look forward to the rest of his career.

Guys like Floyd do not come along often though. Even if he's not fighting who you would like him to, just enjoy the pure boxing skill while you can.

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Couldna been said any better. Do you happen to have a Twitter acct? If so, just for the smell of it, twit that over to Mayweather Sr. - not Jr., more likely to be read.

Why not?

Why issit we care more about Floyd's legacy than he seemingly does?

17. Saved_in_Blood

I actually don't have a twitter account man. I thought about it, but I'd get myself in to much trouble I think lol.

18. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

There was talk about him fighting against Floyd, which caused some uproar and it looks like Maidana is now fighting against Floyd

I know that Khan would have not deserved that fight at all and I also know that Floyd would win, but something about that fight still has my interest. I would've definitely watched it

But i'd like to see Khan vs Broner

19. Saved_in_Blood

Someone in a wheelchair with a decent left hook can beat khan.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick