Kettlebells

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gorinnosho, Nov 23, 2007.

1. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

Hi, i've been concidering buying a set of kettle bells for a while now after seeing them used in blitz magazine.
    is it worth it?
    Are there different sizes?
    what are some workouts to use with them?
    Would they help my karate?

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

For the quick answers Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Using the Search will reveal at least 3 other threads devoted to Kettlebells.

If your of a mind to use them then search out Mike Mahler, or Steve Cotter, and even Pavel. Pavel is a marketing pimp, but the free information you an get is worth it.

Google Girevoy (the russian work for the sport) and poke around.

Oh and welcome to a wonderful world of pain and training. :D

3. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

cool thanks for the tips :D

4. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Would they help? Probably not, since you don't even know what to do with them.
    Are they worth it? Yes, if you know how to work out with them. However, plates can be used, too.
    Kettlebells give you a better range of motion and grip, but if you don't know how to work out with them, there's no use of buying them yet.

5. Athleng Nordic

Note to self... Never mind this is a family site.

One will never learn to do anything if one is afraid to do it.

The greatest stopping power known to man on Earth is the phrase “I Can’t”, or in this case telling someone to not try to do something because he has asked a question.

How did you manage to learn to use a kettlebell? You heard about them and began to research and learn correct? Or are you the trial my blunt instrument kind of guy?

6. Mi Don't Mi Do

Mi Don't Mi Do Valued Member

Kettlebells are expensive and overrated imo.

7. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Hi All

I think kettlebells are a great addition to martial arts training, as long as you know how to work with them and the correct movement patterns.

There are a number of training companies in teh Uk that offer weekend courses in the use of kettlebells, and how to apply them into your fitness routine.

As they are also finding a place as the next fitness craze in gyms and health clubs the price for kettlebells are starting to come down.

TOM

8. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

they are really just overpriced dumbells....you can do the same exercise with dumbells, but for half the price

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Sorry, but this isn't true. Many exercises with kettlebells involve throwing and catching them in a way that is impossible with dumbells.

10. Athleng Nordic

And to piggy-back on Fishy. They are an acentric balance verses a concentric balance and thus draw in more stabilizing core. They work on dynamic motions not so much on fixed lifts.

I have my 1 and 1.5 pood and will get a 2 pood when I get home from the desert.

I highly recommend them.

11. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

they are overpriced though............I went the local shop, and the cost of one kettlebell was the same as the cost of two dumbells.so even if you can do a couple more different exercises I am not prepared to pay double what I'd pay for something which is better made and has more moving parts.there is nothing stopping you swinging a dumbell around :)
    and there are no training guides with the kettlebells to show you any new exercises.
    If I was going to buy anything I'd buy something like these
    http://www.bushipower.com/page/BS/PROD/PBPC/TB010

12. Athleng Nordic

You're better off reading through this guys site http://www.rosstraining.com/ or this one http://www.beastskills.com/ or this one http://www.crossfit.com/ than whatever that thing was. Yes you can do the same thing with a DB that you can with a KB, but the balance thing I mentioned it where your bennefits come in.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

14. Yohan

Additionally, I somehow doubt that Turkish getups would be as effective with a dumbbell.

15. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Getups work fine with dumbbells or a bar. I use a straight bar with 10 or 15 lbs on either side to do getups. It's brutal. I actually do a whole complex- 1 handed snatch into a getup, switch hands, repeat.

@original question

Kettlebells are great. The only drawback is the price. They are en vogue right now, but they are not just hype. I love working with them.

16. Yohan

Ok cool

17. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Hey Yohan, wanna hear a big, weightlifting secret?

Lean in real close to your computer....

shhhhh.... don't tell anyone...

Here it is- even though I love kettlebells, just about any kettlebell exercise can be done with a dumbell. The kettlebells work better, but dumbells work well too. [/bigweightliftingsecret]

18. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

First off all, there's a difference between "I can't" because you are lazy or scared of something, and then there's the "I can't" because you just shouldn't before someone shows you how to.

I mean go a head recommend whatever you want, but when he comes here with injured shoulder or cracked head from kettlebell hitting him in then you can also recommend a good doctor.

As for me using kettlebell...well I can't say that I'm a pro when it comes to it. I workout once in a while with kettlebells, but I had a certified crossfit trainer show me how to properly work out with them.

19. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Well I did consider buying a set of kettlebells, and I do like the look of them, but I think that they are going to have to come down in price alot before folks will consider buying them..I'm waiting to see what happens after Christmas.maybe try and pick some up in the January sales :cool:

20. Athleng Nordic

I doubt you'll find them any cheaper after the holidays. I'm not sure where you live but in the US the best place to get them is New York Barbells http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/ but be warned, you'll pay almost the same in shipping as you will in the cost of the bell. Earlier I posted a link to Ross Emamait's web site. There you'll find links on making home made equipment. One of them shows how to make KB's.