Kettlebell and sandbag training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Combatant, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'm off to buy more sand today. I have an old army duffel I've had about since basic training that I'm now glad I didn't pitch in the bin. $3.59 for a 60 lbs tube of sand. Last time I bought 4 to lock down my pull-up/dips/glute-ham rack. Guess I need a few more for working out. :D :p

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Sounds like you are well on your way. I have an army duffel about somewhere but I just can't find it right now.

Found a good place locally where I can get some nice big rocks for training with too! And a pub that leaves its beer kegs out in open view....trusting fools MUHAHAHHA! :yeleyes: :D

3. Athleng Nordic

I have to find that old thread by blessed where he posted the pictures of himself pitcking kegs about. Need some motivation! :D Also need to be reminded of why I'd want to pitch a keg about. :confused: :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  4. Athleng Nordic

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

6. Athleng Nordic

Thank you Adam. That the BEST price I'vefound, and the Roman chairs are a good buy also, especially on sale.:)

7. Athleng Nordic

YEAH!!! My kettlebells arrived today!!! 35 lbs and 70 lbs that I'm naming Pain and Agony respectively!!!

8. Athleng Nordic

ANyone have any hints on how to make a decent overbag for sand. Something that allows for fast weight changes, and is clean? Josh Henkin has one for sale but it's more than I want to pay.

9. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Whats an overbag?

10. Athleng Nordic

11. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

You can do many of the same moves with a dumbbell that you can do with a kettlebell. While kettlebell training may be "more hardcore" and "functional" (quoted for sarcasm), you can do just fine with dumbbells if you wish. If you want the grip factor in place, make your DBs thick-handled by using PVC piping or foam pool noodles and duct tape. If you feel the need to buy a KB down the road, you can, but it's not absolutely necessary.

As for sandbags, a great and inexpensive tool. Clean and presses, shoulders, throws, squats, Zerchers, swings, you name it.

12. koto_ryu

Buy one of those military duffel bags for like $20 from an Army store, then fill up lots of smaller bags with different weights so you can fine tune it to what you want for that particular day.

13. Athleng Nordic

Hint: I'm a US Soldier!

I need something smaller for snatches and swings.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  14. koto_ryu

I bought one just for my sandbag, as I still wanted to keep my first one around for deployments.

Go for an aviator kit bag or a WP bag then. You should have easy access to those.

15. Athleng Nordic

I have the dimensions to those bags. The Medium: 9.5X27" and the Large: 12X35" compliments of Josh Henkin.

I think I can make something up from trouser legs and old shirts.

Koto

An Aviation Kit Bag is bigger than a duffle. I did think about a laundry bag, but I want something like the picture on the web site.

16. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

If i missed it sorry but did anyone post what a good beginner weight would be for these?

17. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If your talking about Kettlebells, the traditional starting weight for men is 16 kg, 12 kg for women. Of course there is no point in going for one that is too heavy for you, so its really up to you to decide. The weighing of KB's is generally in increments of 4 kg.

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

there's a kettlebell collecting dust at the dojang i train at. guess i should be dusting it off soon :D .

i'm guessing the kettlebell is used mainly for power exercises no?

19. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I didn't read through the rest of the thread so maybe someone else here already said this, but here's my two cents:

When I was training to fight, I used kettlebells for probably 75% of my weight training. I also did limited upper body work, but I used kettlebells to increase endurance and speed. I did one alternating clean and presses over time, heavy swings, simultaneous snatches, cleans into overhead squats... you name it, I tried it. And the kettlebells worked. I was always strong, but the kettlebells made my legs looser and gave me that "limber strength" that fighters need. I could move faster and land kicks with power to the head of guys who were taller than 6' (I'm about 6' myself). I could also go 6 or 7, 3-minute rounds of heavy sparring and not feel gassed.

20. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

They're most suited for strength-endurance work. Train for set durations (kettlebell competition training is for a straight ten minute set) keep track of the RPM and the training is to consistently up the reps.