Kerambit : effective or flashy?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by robin101, Sep 12, 2012.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I agree, though you must admit, for a weapon that gives up distance and stabbing for a whole lot of power in cutting, it has gain quite a following outside of it's usual place of practice.

2. shootodog

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I've never trained with him persoanlly, but a very good friend of mine (Ausslander/Mad Monk) has done some sessions and rates him highly - just a casual look at his mechanics impressed the heck off me!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Very true. As with many things, I have Guro Dan Inosanto to thank for my introduction to the kerambit.

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

try a biro

6. Hannibal

Yeah, not too good at cutting really...but thanks for playing

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Seems simple enough, pointy end goes in bad guy, you hold the blunt end right?

8. Hannibal

The pen or the kerambit? Kerambits are pretty crap at stabbing!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

What's the pointy bit for then? :[

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Eyes?

I think you can stab with 'em it's just not what they are designed for...It's primarily a slashing weapon.

I've hardly used one, but I like what I see!!!

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

You can indeed stab, the motion is like a punch, i.e. the point of the blade points in the same direction as your knuckles during a punch.

12. Hannibal

You CAN, it just isn't that good comparatively....slashing? Now that's another thing altogether!!! When was the last time you saw a tiger stab with its claw?

13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Indeed, but I do find that the punch-stab is quite an unpredictable motion. I'm a big fan of this weapon, mostly because it feels really natural to wield and you don't need much modification to make it work in the same way as you would use your hands when unarmed, though I guess that's style specific.

A few vids:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47XXT2tIbM"]Silat Suffian Bela Diri - Kerambit 1 - counters & takedowns - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPrnIj14KU"]Silat Suffian Bela Diri - KERAMBIT 2 - Close Quarter Blade (IJsselstein, Holland) - YouTube[/ame]

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ripping, at the risk of being overly descriptive. It's a claw, essentially.

15. shootodog

A veloceraptor claw

16. shootodog

He is so cool!

Anyway, you get the pic! Best slicing cqb weapon i have ever gotten cut with.

17. shootodog

Have you tries training with ama guro jun de leon of kali de leon over at toronto?

18. Injurytime

Injurytime New Member

I'd think a big advantage to the kerambit would be that it's really hard to disarm? Somewhere on the internet, I came across Pat O'Malley explaining a training session that was about hitting hands, because 'armed or not, it's the hand that hits you.' Lots of FMA players and silat players like to defang the snake and I think it would be possible to fight on with a kerambit with a broken hand, while a knife would simply be dropped. Also hard to 'snake' or 'strip' a kerambit.

19. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Well, if that kerambit is hanging on a broken finger, or on a finger attached to a broken hand / wrist, I really think you won't be doing much useful with it any more. The pain of bone on bone will be severe. So much so that gripping that knife and using it for contact will probably be the last thing on your mind.

And with a broken finger or hand, the swelling of the finger inside that ring will be bad as well.

20. Hannibal

Too far for me to go...it would actually be quicker to fly to the states