Kenshinkai - Portsmouth - review / comments please

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by RagingDelirium, Feb 26, 2010.

1. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

Kenshinkai - Portsmouth

Hi i am thinking about starting to cross train (having studied TKD for the last 2 years).

I would really appreciate any reviews or comments concerning this club.

(Please feel free to message me if you not comfortable posting comments as i am more than aware that MA can often have some uncomfortable politics)

Or any alternative clubs in this area that could be recommended.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Does not say who the instructors are. However Yoshinkan is not as vulnerable as some other aikido groups to ineffective techniques.

I would give it a go. It is up to YOU if you wish to involve in politics and personalities.
    Ignore them.

3. RagingDelirium

I really don't want politics marring my experience / as it has done with TKD.

& thanks for the reply

4. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

As Koyo stated give it a go and "Ignore" politics..................we did
    Tommo

5. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

Have trained with Mr Masters and would recommend him has a solid Aikidoka

6. RagingDelirium

are striking tech's also taught?

7. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Although I have not trained with Gary Masters, I am sure that Atemi Waza techniques are taught as Yoshinkan is based very much on pre war aiki.

8. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

You'll be happy to know that Atemi/Striking techniques are taken seriously and taught properly within Yoshinkan, well at my Dojo anyway

I overheard my Sensei talking about Sensei Masters the other day, I believe they have trained together at some point

9. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Politics in Martial Arts

Hi,
    If any person wants to 'get involved 'in martial arts politics this is the persons right to do so.Just as some contributors to the forum suggest ignoring politics I say let the person have freedom of choice.Real freedom is making ones own choice and not being influenced by anyone.

10. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Except politics in budo usually restricts you from making choices.

11. Swooop

Swooop New Member

Back to the original question, I have trained with Kenshinkai at a couple of seminars and at their dojo a few times as a guest, and have found them accomodating and spirited. I'm sure you would get alot out of their training. Don't think politics are a major issue!
    If you're down that way, there's always Goryukai and Sensei Malcolm Crawford over in Chichester. He's pretty good too, though I would say that as I train under him...
    Good luck finding what you're looking for.
    Regards
    T.